PDA

View Full Version : is "currently taking intermediate econ theory" a bad thing?

whxyj
08-06-2007, 06:54 PM
my school only offers intermediate theories in winter quarter, once a year. and I wasn't a econ major. So I am taking them at my senior year and at the time of applying, i won't have any grade for both theories.

is it gona hurt my application? what if i have all straight As in my previous classes except English101/102(I assume this may persuade the admcomm that I have a big chance ace these classes).

or i should wait another year? :hmm:

buckykatt
08-06-2007, 07:07 PM
When does you winter quarter end? If you could send even an unofficial transcript or letter from your profs with your final grades by February or so, that might be early enough to help with admission (though maybe not early enough to get you a top funding offer if there are fellowships from outside the department that they need to nominate for early in the process).

TruDog
08-06-2007, 08:55 PM
It depends. How much math have you taken?

whxyj
08-07-2007, 01:21 AM
my winter quarter ends in feb, so buckykatt, there's no way i could send the final grades.

for math, not so much, cal 1/2, linear alg, prob, stat1/2, diff equa

btw, what do u all think of the kind of student who graduate way ahead of others? like, i got waivered alot of general education classes, and i am taking the summer, so i can graduate in almost 2 yrs(thx to quarter system, i know most UC are in quarter too, i am not from UC though). how does admincomm think of this?

or i should jsut do a master? i know deadlines of most master programs are pretty late.

TruDog
08-07-2007, 01:26 AM
You would probably be better off being heavy either in economics or in mathematics. You aren't heavy in either as of right now, so you should send that unofficial transcript in to show a stronger basis in economics.

buckykatt
08-07-2007, 02:27 PM
If your grades are going to be available before the end of February, that might not be too late. Just make it clear that you're taking the course and will send grades ASAP so they'll know to look for them. I guess it depends how much of a hurry you're in and how important it is to get the best offer possible.

If it were me, I'd look at taking another year to get better prepared--maybe take a master's program where I had the flexibility to study more math (calc III or its equivalent being the most important, real analysis as a bonus) along with some economics. This would also give you a better opportunity to get good LORs from economics professors.

But, of course, these aren't mutually exclusive options. You could apply for both Ph.D. programs and master's programs this year and see where you come out in the spring.