PDA

View Full Version : Will a high percentage of GRE math sub help?

ecsrui
08-11-2007, 04:33 AM
I am planning to apply a phd or ma programme in Economics prog this year,
since my undergrad is in a major which did not value mathematics much and one of my math scores is quite bad ( I hesitate to say that it is Probability), so I plan to take a GRE math sub to compensate.
Will it help in the process of applying if I get a high pencentage in this exam (say 92% or above)?
PS I am in China:(

kartelite
08-11-2007, 06:07 AM
It may help a tiny bit. But if you have that sort of score as an undergrad, you would likely be a competitive applicant at a top school like Berkeley or Princeton in mathematics. 92% is quite hard, as the majority of people who score very well (80% +) have had graduate mathematics and have taught stuff like calculus...

buckykatt
08-11-2007, 09:54 PM
IMHO, the Math Subject GRE wouldn't be useful unless you have a lot of math knowledge that's not already reflected in your transcript. For example, if you didn't take a real analysis class but you've studied it extensively on your own, then you might be able to demonstrate that by getting a higher score on the subject test than someone with your preparation otherwise would.

quantwanabe
08-12-2007, 04:00 AM
be careful of what you wish for. The subject GRE is not that easy. In my opinion, you are gambling. If you do very well, then its superb. Otherwise, a poor GRE subject score might hurts.