PDA

View Full Version : Accommodations for future PhDs

the_asker
08-11-2007, 09:39 AM
Where do grad students stay? I assume it's a condo/boarding house/apartment type setup, am I right? Do people share? How about the bathrooms?

KingOfConvenience
08-11-2007, 03:52 PM
one is free to do what one wants, subject to one's budget. depending on the cost of living, one's dwelling could range from a bedroom in a multi-bedroom apartment to a private apartment.

buckykatt
08-11-2007, 10:31 PM
Most universities seem to have at least some kind of cheap dorm accommodations for single grad students and/or a pool of housing for rent suitable for those with families. In practice, most grad students seem to find an apartment or house off-campus and split it with as many fellow students as their budget dictates. ;)

kartelite
08-11-2007, 11:03 PM
In my case I decided to buy a small condo, and I'm renting the other bedroom to a classmate; I bought it from some family friends, and as I'm going to school near my hometown it was fairly easy to accomplish the transaction. At least this way I'm building a bit of equity and hopefully I can resell it whenever need be with a bit of appreciation.

Karina 07
08-11-2007, 11:09 PM
In my case I decided to buy a small condo, and I'm renting the other bedroom to a classmate; I bought it from some family friends, and as I'm going to school near my hometown it was fairly easy to accomplish the transaction. At least this way I'm building a bit of equity and hopefully I can resell it whenever need be with a bit of appreciation.

This is definitely the way to go if you can at all work it out. Two friends of mine bought a small house together, and in the end it will save them a lot.