PDA

View Full Version : Prejudicial fields on the application

the_asker
08-11-2007, 10:00 AM
Which items on each school's application form would be prejudicial to his/her chances of admission? By prejudicial I mean likely to have a negative effect. Of course there are the obvious things like scores and grades, letters, etc. And then there are things we hope won't be prejudicial, like country of origin, race, etc. In particular I'm wondering about the following details:

1. Statement of financial resources
2. Other schools applying to

If there are others, which ones are they?

buckykatt
08-11-2007, 10:39 PM
Are there schools that ask what other schools you're applying to????

Re: financial resources, some schools have a policy of admitting only students they can provide sufficient support to. So, if you do have resources, telling them that on the application could improve your chances of getting admitted if they have limited funding. If you don't have resources, you could wind up getting a better offer or none at all, depending.

Asking about race or gender does not belong on an admissions form, period, IMHO. I always refuse to answer those questions, and they can't legally require that you answer them, ever. However, if you are a female or "minority" student, it's to your advantage to provide that information to them, because there are usually fellowships reserved for people in these special groups.

And don't get me started about *that*...

TruDog
08-12-2007, 12:57 AM
From my experience, it seems like about half of all schools care to ask to what other schools you are applying. I'm not sure if that actually has an impact on decisions, however.

buckykatt
08-12-2007, 01:49 AM
From my experience, it seems like about half of all schools care to ask to what other schools you are applying. I'm not sure if that actually has an impact on decisions, however.

Wow. That seems... improper to me. How does anyone rationalize asking that kind of question, I wonder?

the_asker
08-12-2007, 04:18 AM
It doesn't seem proper to me either. Is it okay to just leave the field blank?

Oh and another thing, is it better to waive access to recommendation letters? Does this have any effect at all?