PDA

View Full Version : Australian National University: Reputation

asianeconomist
08-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Hello guys,

I am going to start my MSc Economics at ANU in 2008.

Econphd.net ranks the PhD program in the 80s. I searched for their Masters placement records in the Web but failed. I even mailed the program administrator, but still no reply.

Would anyone knowledgeable of the program be gracious enough to comment on this issue (especially of the PhD placements from the Masters program).

Regards.

Averagegrader
08-12-2007, 08:42 AM
I was thinking to apply here in ms in international and development Econ, by the way what did they require (for ms econ).,... regardless of the rankings i am thinking to apply since its the best in Australia... so i guess thats a plus point...

asianeconomist
08-13-2007, 05:05 PM
I am a Business UGrad, so that really did not matter. After my UGrad, I took the following courses before applying:

1. Advanced Econometrics (A-)
2. Intermediate Micro (A-)
3. Intermediate Macro (A-)
4. Real Analysis (B)
5. Contemporary Economic thoughts (A)

Btw, I am referring to the two years MSc (GD+MSc)

This way, you can take PhD level courses during your PhD and consequently start your PhD earlier.

SMH
08-13-2007, 08:59 PM
I think ANU has a pretty good reputation for its econometrics program

crslr
08-14-2007, 06:10 AM
In Australia, the best graduate programs are at Melbourne and the ANU. However, in terms of research strength, my ranking flatters the ANU a bit; there have been systematic faculty movements in Australia recently. The big gainer was Queensland, which has attracted the most productive theorists from the ANU, Sydney and Melbourne.

While Sydney and Melbourne continue to be quite strong, the ANU has really suffered from limited funds and its complicated internal structure. I know the situation because I had a job offer from them this year and gave it serious consideration. My view mostly reflects the micro theory side though, where the decline has been especially obvious. I suspect the ANU is best in applied micro and in macro.

Other notable departments in Australia are UNSW and QUT for econometrics. In New Zealand, Auckland is getting good in micro theory. But outside of the ANU and Melbourne, you don't have well-developed PhD programs yet; they're more ad-hoc.

All major Australian universities have excellent track records placing their honors students (who do an extended BA degree) in US PhD programs. That gives the Australian degrees a good name. Among master's students the intake quality and motivations are mixed, so the placements will vary widely.

asianeconomist
08-14-2007, 01:01 PM
Thanks people for your replies.

I am actually planning on doing my Masters at ANU and then apply to a US/UK PhD. Therefore, I do not think that the research strengths of the schools would be held in much import.

A follow-up question: What is the level of rigor in Australian universities (ANU especially) in general terms ? For example, it has been generalized for UK that it seldom offers, without exceptions of course, rigorous preparation for a US PhD. Are Australian programs held at the same level of perception?