PDA

View Full Version : Anyone familiar with Oxford M.Phil. in Development Studies?

pragmidealist
08-11-2007, 03:04 PM
Hello,

I hope to pursue a career in development policy and intend to apply to Ph.D. programs in economics within the next few years. However, if I can get funding, I'd like to broaden my background in the other social sciences first, because I have seen firsthand the different but highly complementary perspectives that political scientists, anthropologists, etc. and economists can bring to development issues.

I'm considering applying for funding for U.K. programs, and am thinking about the interdisciplinary M.Phil. in development studies at QEH, Oxford. Does anyone know the program and have thoughts on its level of quality and rigor? *I understand this is unlikely to enhance my admissions prospects at Ph.D. econ programs, but that's *not* why I want to do the program!*

Bit more about my background since it may be relevant to whether this degree will add what I'm looking for: Bachelor's in economics, double major international affairs, from the main public uni in my Southern state; gpa 4.0; 2 (would be 3 by the time I leave) years research / program work in think tanks both working for economists and international policy practitioners.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

pragmidealist
08-12-2007, 05:18 AM
To clarify: I'm *not* looking for a program that will orient me to issues in development - my work experience has done that quite well. Rather, I'm looking for a strong grounding in the *approaches* of the other social sciences. Thanks in advance!