PDA

View Full Version : GRE Graph Questions

Thesus
08-12-2007, 11:01 PM
Okay, as economists, I realize we're all supposed to be great with graphs. But am I the only one who finds the graph questions in Barron's practice tests brutal?

I mean, I'm squinting at this graph with three or four lines on it, printed fuzzily on maybe a sixteenth of a page, trying to pick out one whether I think it's 25% or 26%, the choice of which makes a difference to the question!

Now, I realize I am blind, but glasses are supposed to fix that. Am I the only one having major difficulty with these graphs because of inability to decide precisely what values the line is representing?

little guy
08-12-2007, 11:44 PM
I completely agree. Those questions are so silly. I always find myself guessing what a number is. It is like you need great eye sight to get these questions sometimes. The real gre is like that too, not just the prep stuff, so get used to it.

ForTheWin!_08
08-13-2007, 03:12 PM
You have my sympathy. Those damn graph questions kept screwing me in the practice tests, so I took a ruler into the actual test so I could sort-of estimate the measurements by holding it up to the screen and rescaling. Other than that, I think you just have to hope...

buckykatt
08-13-2007, 03:33 PM
I agree. Nowhere is it more obvious how crappy this test is than in the graph section.

Thesus
08-13-2007, 07:30 PM
You can take a ruler? Hrmm. I may well invest in one of those. I write Friday, so that's useful knowledge.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets irritated at ETS.

buckykatt
08-14-2007, 03:44 AM
I don't know if a ruler is allowed, but you are given scrap paper and the corner of the page is a 90 degree angle. I'm just sayin'...

needeconhelp
08-24-2007, 04:32 AM
yeap. a few of such graph questions really got me irritated too.

cpsteiner
08-24-2007, 04:36 AM
i think the graph questions are problematic as well. im not a gre sympathizer, true, but i think that the graph questions are particularly unfair because of the problem you describe. if it makes you feel any better, i would assume that you won't have a problem on the actual gre with the graph questions because the screen is pretty clear, and the graphs fairly large. i put my paper up to the screen to help during the exam.

the_asker
08-25-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm done with the GRE and luckily I didn't come across an ambiguous graph but I was befuddled by one or two on Powerprep! Those things are really dumb. Who knows, though... The GRE could predict 20/20 vision better than it predicts math ability. Maybe they should include eyesight questions in their background questionnaire.

ChicagoChicagoChicago
08-25-2007, 07:20 PM
Don't want to start a new post..so just ask here...
if n=(28)^3, what is the units digit of n?
what does unit digit mean? last digit of n, or number of digit?...excuse my ...bad english....

some GRE math question is kinda tricky if don't read it carefully.......

TruDog
08-25-2007, 07:23 PM
Don't want to start a new post..so just ask here...
if n=(28)^3, what is the units digit of n?
what does unit digit mean? last digit of n, or number of digit?...excuse my ...bad english....

some GRE math question is kinda tricky if don't read it carefully.......

The unit digit is the last digit, in the ones place.

ChicagoChicagoChicago
08-25-2007, 07:59 PM
thanks...