PDA

View Full Version : Profile in Economics, need help

Crodet
08-13-2007, 10:36 AM
GRE Verbal=300, Quan=740 anal=3.5 . GPA=3.3 in BA and 3.4 in MA. Is there any chance for me? TOEFL 99(iBT). I may can take one of the GRE or TOEFL s , which one should I take again? please suggest a university in california or illinois , thanx

Halking
08-15-2007, 03:27 AM
what is your location now?

KingOfConvenience
08-15-2007, 05:13 AM
put more effort into your request for help. the information your provide doesn't allow one to offer worthwhile advice. your GPA and your GRE scores almost certainly rule you out for top 50 schools. In this case, your career goals and your area of interest in economics largely dictates your optimal choice.

Crodet
08-15-2007, 09:03 PM
I am in Iran ,now. what else should I add to my information? so you mean my GPA and GRE is low? I will pass the GRE again, but about GPA I can't do anything. the 100 universities in US and canada is good for me. usually in california and illinois (us) and BC in Canada. Thank you.

TruDog
08-15-2007, 09:24 PM
Maybe try Southern Illinois-Carbondale. It's not a great-ranked school, but has good stipends (with a low cost of living) and you should be able to get in.

quantwanabe
08-16-2007, 12:10 AM
your GPA and your GRE scores almost certainly rule you out for top 50 schools.

thats a really bold statement lol. how can a GPA of 3.4 in an MA program rules him out Top 50 schools. Geez not everyone in Top 50 schools have GPA > 3.5. I think he should reapeat his GRE to improve his verbal and quant scores, then he can into schools ranked in the range 30-50

KingOfConvenience
08-16-2007, 12:54 AM
"I think he should reapeat his GRE to improve his verbal and quant scores, then he can into schools ranked in the range 30-50"
Yes, conditional on these scores improving, he as a shot at top 50. But as things stand, and as you implicitly seem to agree, his current GRE scores, combined with the B+ MA GPA and low AWA and Verbal scores almost certainly rules out top 50, barring the highly unlikely possibility of fantastic recommendation letters and/or research. This, of course, is merely my limited-knowledge assessment of the matter.

Crodet
08-17-2007, 12:06 PM
I registered for GRE. give me some tips about getting good maths score. what books do you recommend? what about verbal and writing?
I'm gonna do researches , too. give me some thesis subjects. Is the name of the university important for international students?
so what universities in the rank 30-80 or 100 do you recommend? the environment and not being racist is important for me.thanx

ForTheWin!_08
08-17-2007, 01:13 PM
No one here is going to give you a thesis topic. If you aren't really interested in any research questions, you should seriously reconsider going to do a PhD - doing research is the whole point of the degree, so you'd better enjoy it, or you'll be miserable.

As for racism, there will always be racists everywhere you go in the world, not just in the U.S. However, there are no universities that actually have racist policies, since racial discrimination (and pretty much all other kinds of discrimination) is illegal in the U.S.

Is this some kind of joke? aspencolorado, is that you?

ocean2
08-17-2007, 03:18 PM
I don't think he asked for universities that don't have racist policies.
Plus, you cannot ELIMINATE racism by setting rules and policies. There will always be people who display racist attitudes and can easily get away with it. He is simply asking if there are states/locations where this behavior is minimized. He might for example prefer to go to a state/university where there are more middle eastern people.
By the way, he did not say that only US has racism. Why are you getting so defensive? A bit of anxiety is natural for a middle eastern person these days. Don't take it personal.

econyun
08-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Plus, you cannot ELIMINATE racism by setting rules and policies. There will always be people who display racist attitudes and can easily get away with it. He is simply asking if there are states/locations where this behavior is minimized. He might for example prefer to go to a state/university where there are more middle eastern people.
By the way, he did not say that only US has racism. Why are you getting so defensive? A bit of anxiety is natural for a middle eastern person these days. Don't take it personal.

agree

jjmann
08-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Is this some kind of joke? aspencolorado, is that you?

Hahaha. I think aspencolorado will be away for sometime after the last treatment he got in his thread, and a disagreement which started in another thread. :D

Karina 07
08-18-2007, 01:50 AM

Agreed; I think it's a fairly frequently considered thing, especially for international students. Different cities or regions do have different characters.

Crodet
08-19-2007, 08:59 PM
thank you for all replies , although there was no specific answer and I just saw some argues ! first of all , I am as wise as you friend and I will definitely change my major if I don't have interest in it. I just have so many topics in my mind and everyday when I search through the web I recognize that there a lot more to think about as I see others' articles ans thesis. So, knowing about some good ideas is always good , I suggest you to do it , too. some problems are not considered in some countries and it will be very interesting trading information and tips that may be hidden in other countries. I really don't think racism is just for 1 special country , but I think in some regions there is some special ideas which will cause them to choose for example an european instead of me. Try to be more academic , as when we enter international universities and study the same science , there is no such answers. No difference between us. we all come here to help each other. well, I don't know the person you mentioned , I'm NOT JOKIN'. I asked many other questions about the books and GRE , try to be helpful.

Crodet
08-19-2007, 09:17 PM
What is health economics? I saw some articles and it seems interesting. for example the affect of health of the child on the labor supply of mother etc.is it related?anyone has any information?
the other point is , which one is better:
PhD - or another master? I like this industrial organization. does it need seperate admission or just is a part of PhD?
Dear Friend, I found a thread from you. what I wanted to day about not racism or other stuff was told by you as
(1) Safety schools
that's the meaning, I guess.

TruDog
08-19-2007, 09:48 PM
What is health economics? I saw some articles and it seems interesting. for example the affect of health of the child on the labor supply of mother etc.is it related?anyone has any information?

Health economics (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Health_economics) looks at the overall health care system and how health care is allocated, not the mother-child relationship.

I like this industrial organization. does it need seperate admission or just is a part of PhD?

Industrial organization is typically part of PhD economics programs and does not need separate admission.

Aeshma
08-20-2007, 03:57 AM
it seems like you have a bad habit of not doing your research and prefers other people give you all all the directions. obviously you have not taken the time to research any schools, even if you did, you did a horrible job. asking others for a thesis topic, was that a joke? this is not undergrad. are you sure you want to do grad school? there are no directions in grad school, you have to figure out what you want to do. you are always going to be stuck on some problem, and no one knows if an answer exists.

Crodet
08-20-2007, 06:59 PM
seriously why do some people answer like this? I have done less researches may be than some of you , and I thought the problem about thesis solved.I just wanted to know some ideas. that's not bad. I think disappointing other people is worse. I ask the things I don't know. If you don't know the answer why do you just try to disappoint?
Thank you so much for information about health economics. In our country a similar major exists , but from a master and it's more about the policy in health system and management. I guess this one may be more complicated. The articles I had read where done by the association of health research centres and economics department.
In our country entering University is hard and for master you should pass a difficult exam like bachelor. But they don't see your researches and usually students focus on studying books more than research.(for PhD you should have some papers to enter + GPA and entrance exam) Maybe you're right I should take research more seriously.