PDA

View Full Version : Guide me plz

LV
10-24-2003, 02:49 PM
Hello people,

I am planing to give GRE in the first week of Dec. I wanted to ask how to go about the test. So far I have done barrons high frequency words, first 6 tests of Big Book and few words from the Word Smart. Well my target is to get a score of 1300. Havent dont anything on AWA section. And also one more problem I always get 3 or 2 questions wrong on the quant section....Kindly tell me how to proceed with the Verbal section (considering the time I have) and also about the quant...should I give PowerPrep test, now or near the test ?

Thank You

eagle
10-24-2003, 03:08 PM
I think 1 month is sufficient time to go through the entire Barrons wordlist and revise it too. You should certainly give it your best shot since you have time. Keep solving practise tests and take the first powerprep anytime you feel sufficiently prepared. Some people take it before prep so they can measure their weaknesses and concentrate on them. See what feels right to you. Leave the second powerprep for the week before the GRE. But leave sufficient time for exhausting the question bank of both tests, since they are very important questions. If you solve enough tests (Powerprep and others- Kaplan, Big book etc) you get comfortable with the tactics required. That is important.
For the AWA at least go through all the topics and think for sometime (5-10 minutes) on each. Preferably write atleast 3-5 topics of each- issue and argument.
Best of luck!
Write back for any more specific information.

irumbu
10-24-2003, 03:31 PM
hi,
welcome. you r far head you have enough time. keep going systematically. for verbal & quan go through the excellent post in this forum---one by AmigoRo( ai, he got 800)[w00t] and by flounder(must read)[bounce]

http://www.TestMagic.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2180

http://www.TestMagic.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8011
hope this help:)

LV
10-29-2003, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the reply people....I think 1 month is sufficient time to go through the entire Barrons wordlist and revise it too ? How many words can one do in a day....i tried doing 30 a day..and even that drives me crazy...wonder how can one go through the whole barrons list...any suggestions.

kfree
10-30-2003, 02:04 AM
LV,
How to build up vocabulary power has to do with your current verbal power as well. It might help if you are willing to inform us of your current verbal power.

As for Barron's wordlist, not all words in your exam will be from Barron's. Not all words in Barron's will be tested. So, don't worry too much about it. IMO, Barron's wordlist should serve mainly as a review vocabulary, as it purports, and a quick list to augment your vocabulary power temporarily just before your exam.

Word Smart is pretty good, if that is your skill level. It is also my favorite as well as my starting vocabulary builder. I think taking both out should merit you a 500 + score. However, many words in Word Smart will not be tested, such as faux pas. They are foreign. You have to cross them out yourself because you should be really focused on GRE vocabulary.

After I have used several vocabulary builders, I returned to Barron's for review. I group the words into 4 categories (using different colors):
1. Words I already know
2. Words that are easy to remember but I am unfamiliar with (overweening)
3. Words that are harder to but test worthy (adj. and v.)
4. words that hard and not likely to appear, mainly nouns from specific fields: such as names of dinosaurs..... they would probably only appear in Reading Comprehension and you can probably guess that it is a name of some dinosaur anyway...

kfree
10-30-2003, 02:07 AM
Sorry, I forgot: there are two versions for Word Smart. You had better take both of them out. There is also Word Smart GRE, which is good to augment to Word Smart Series.

Another interesting vocabulary builder can be found at www.vocabularybuilder.com

LV
10-30-2003, 05:13 PM
hello,

kfree, You asked about the vocab level. Well uptil now I have done half of the word smart1. Barrons high frequency and Princeton Hit-Parade. Thats it...I am planing to give test on December (first week). So I have a lot of things to do and dont know how to pace myself. What to do first and how much should I do each day. There are 1600 word in Word Smart1 and 2 and I have done I think 500 - 600 of them yet. Also people say that you should do the test from big book and also memorize the words that appear in the tests in the big book. Thats why I am a bit worried (WordSMart 1 and 2 and GRE big book verbal) plus all the other things to do as well Quant etc..).....wooooh.

kfree
10-30-2003, 10:27 PM
Hi LV,
I meant to ask you what is your model test scores right now.
BTW, there are no way that anyone can promise you that you can get a certain score after you finish a word list. GRE, though it seems to focus on your vocabulary power, test more than just how many words you know. I find that after finishing WS, I was able to perform better in SC and RC.
1 month is really short, however, I still suggest that you follow the approach by flounder: http://www.TestMagic.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8011

The way I see it is that you have to quickly build up a base vocabulary, WS or Barrons or interactive software, and then extend verbal power by reading.