PDA

View Full Version : GRE score thoughts....

carolinab
09-05-2007, 01:10 AM
hey guys i just got my official results from ETS and need your thoughts

should i retake if i got 800 quant/550 verbal/ 5.0 AW??

i plan on applying to econ phd and finance phd...will the verbal or AW hurt me?

studentecon
09-05-2007, 01:11 AM

Of course not.

carolinab
09-05-2007, 01:18 AM
Are you being sarcastic? I am an American and hope to get into an elite program.

TruDog
09-05-2007, 01:44 AM

Congrats on a great score! Your verbal and AW scores are perfectly fine for top schools and keep you in contention for admission.

studentecon
09-05-2007, 02:29 AM
Are you being sarcastic?

Of course not (for the second time!).

I am an American and hope to get into an elite program.

Good luck!

econphilomath
09-05-2007, 10:34 PM
I guess everyone saying that her score was not good enough but TMs advice was not accepted. Same quetion just showed up at
http://www.urch.com/forums/graduate-admissions/75082-gre-masters-finance.html

If you want someone to tell you, "yes you are not getting into a top program because you not perfect" keep waiting. I say just concentrate on the other things you need to do for your applications. Right now the marginal effect on your probability of getting into "the BEST of th WORLD university" of spending another day waiting for advice you don't want to hear is very very low. (i do it anyway though)

Good luck ...right now thats all thats left out of the equation!

SquareSquare
09-06-2007, 04:29 AM
If you want someone to tell you, "yes you are not getting into a top program because you not perfect" keep waiting.

Aren't you applying to one?

econphilomath
09-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Aren't you applying to one?

Yes, but why is that relevant? I'm not stressing over 5 points more on my GRE.

My pet peeve is when some one asks you for advice, you take time to give it to them but the person only wants you to confirm their original priors.

cpsteiner
09-07-2007, 05:24 AM
i posted a similar question here:
http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/74253-profile-evaluation-verbal-gre-lors.html

i wouldn't worry too much on the verbal scores, this tends to be the immensely debated portion of the forum. apply to a few top 10 programs, see what happens, and then wait ... that's all you can do. apply to some midrange schools, and then add a few backups. i think the verbal scores do matter, i got a 780Q/510V/5.0AWA and i'm planning on focusing on mid-range (30-70) schools but adding berkeley, brown, and yale just to see.

kkitkat
09-07-2007, 06:08 AM
By briefly looking at the Profiles and Results (http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/66608-profiles-results-2007-a.html) thread it seems to me that there is no high correlation between V-score and admission to top schools. Something to think about.