PDA

View Full Version : Sos

mukherjee
09-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Hi frndz,

Plz help me 2 knw whr i cn get thru 4 PhD(econ) in US....

My brief profile is as follows:

High School: 85%
Undergraduate Degree Bachelor of Arts (Major) Economics, University Of Delhi : 55%
Currently pursuing Masters of Economics (1st year), Banaras Hindu University: 8/10 cgpa on absolute scale.
GRE general: 690 (quant) + 480 (verbal)
I have presented several papers at the College and University Levels including topics like Human Resource Development and Intellectual Property Rights accepted in the Rajasthan Economic Journal.

I donot have anyone to guide me that is why it is difficult for me to rightfully decide from here in India and therefore I look to you for your very valued guidance and suggestions.

Eagerly looking forward to hearing from you soon.
Thanking you,
Shibashis Mukherjee

econphilomath
09-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Before doing anything else, I think you need to get a higher quant score if you want your submission to be read. Its something pretty easy to do and it might ruin an otherwise interesting application.

Practice a little and you'll see you can raise your score above the critical level everyone mentions here of about 750 for decent programs. (maybe higher)
After doing my own GRE I helped "train" a lawyer and he picked up his score from 400 to 700 in two months.

good luck:tup:

SquareSquare
09-05-2007, 01:13 PM
Sry, I cnt rd wt u wrt bt as i cn c u scr iz lw so mb u shd tr 2 uz prsn cncts of ur prfs.

C152dude
09-05-2007, 08:19 PM
Sry, I cnt rd wt u wrt bt as i cn c u scr iz lw so mb u shd tr 2 uz prsn cncts of ur prfs.

That would have taken me at least 5 minutes to write.

Zoethor2
09-06-2007, 01:53 AM
It took me at least 5 minutes to read, that's for sure.

SquareSquare
09-06-2007, 04:23 AM
That would have taken me at least 5 minutes to write.

Just take out the vowels, beautify with an occasional "2" or "4". Took about 15 seconds.

It took me at least 5 minutes to read, that's for sure.

Well, after doing the above for more than 10 sentences you'll breeze through mine. It's just a secret lingo.. takes practice.

scheng75
09-06-2007, 05:05 AM
Just take out the vowels, beautify with an occasional "2" or "4". Took about 15 seconds.

Well, after doing the above for more than 10 sentences you'll breeze through mine. It's just a secret lingo.. takes practice.

Come on, please don't encourage it!!!! :mad:

agarwaen.mormegil
09-06-2007, 08:19 PM
As a fellow econ. phd applicant from India and from all that i've heard about the admissions process, i think your quant. score is pretty low. Top schools won't even see your whole application package with a <700 quant. GRE. Retake it and improve your quant. You'll also be better off by improving the verbal if you want to get into a Top 50 program.
your university scores are decent although i bet Delhi University is less stingy than others like Calcutta University (the one i'm in). Your scores and university marks seems to be good enough for getting into lower ranked schools. I know a lot of people who've got in with far lower scores.

mukherjee
09-08-2007, 06:53 AM
Sorry I didnot know that abbreviations are not allowed:rolleyes:

kkitkat
09-08-2007, 04:22 PM
Sorry I didnot know that abbreviations are not allowed:rolleyes:

Announcement (http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/) at the top of the forum saying "Please limit the textese!" didn't clue you in, eh?

mukherjee
09-09-2007, 11:58 AM
Thank you very much friend:)

mukherjee
09-12-2007, 06:54 PM
I will be glad to get more responses:)

scheng75
09-12-2007, 11:52 PM
Since a lot of us are not from India I have no idea if 85%, 55% or 8/10 are good marks or not, can you give us some background? Are these average or good marks?

SquareSquare
09-13-2007, 06:06 AM
Since a lot of us are not from India I have no idea if 85&#37;, 55% or 8/10 are good marks or not, can you give us some background? Are these average or good marks?

The variation is huge within India itself. So let us know how it compares within your institution.

asianeconomist
09-13-2007, 06:15 AM
A good indicator would be "where have students (from your university) with similar credentials gone to ?"

agarwaen.mormegil
09-13-2007, 07:57 AM
A good indicator would be "where have students (from your university) with similar credentials gone to ?"

although the thread creator would be better able to answer that question, but being an econ. student from India, i can vouch that he is in a very respectable university.
Students other than from Delhi School of Economics, Indian Statistical Institute and Indira Gandhi Institute for Development Research don't often get into Top 20 universities in the US.
And with his credentials and his institution, i know of students who've got into Top 50 and lower ranked schools in the US.
I think he'd do well applying to schools outside the Top 40. Of course, applying to 2 or 3 "long shot" Top 20 schools doesn't hurt.

mukherjee
09-15-2007, 01:03 PM
In India different Universities have different scaling system. Universities like Delhi University and Calcutta University are very stringent in giving higher grades. A 60% here is recognized as a very good score.

So, I can state that I was an average grader during my graduation. But, in my High School getting 85% I was the highest scorer in the school and in my Masters getting a 8/10 cgpa I stand as a Second topper. I guess this will help.

What are the funding possibilities in Canada and European Nations for an MS?