PDA

View Full Version : Good schools in econometrics/international economics

cpsteiner
09-07-2007, 06:28 AM
Hello forum:

My profile is here:
http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/74253-profile-evaluation-verbal-gre-lors.html
Summary: 780Q/510V/5.0AWA, Domestic Undergraduate Student at top-30 school, 3.86GPA, A- math average up to Real Analysis and Beyond, Math/Econ major

I'm thinking my range of schools will be in the 20-70 range, but I'm more concerned about getting a good econometrics experience and the international might not be so important to me. I'm using rankings as a guide, but I'm also not a ratings junkie, so if there's a good school that is not ranked well I would also consider. Schools I'm thinking about applying to are (in order of rank): Berkeley, Yale, UIUC, Brown, UCSD, Michigan State, Toronto, Iowa State, WUSTL. I'm actually pretty excited about WUSTL, and I think as many do that it is underranked. I worked on a paper over the summer that integrated Chib's (WUSTL) research on Bayesian computation. I'm also from St. Louis, and I have a ton of friends in the area.

1) Should I apply to more backup schools?
2) Do you have any suggestions regarding the schools I'm applying to?
3) Do any of you have any good suggestions on where I should apply ??? It's hard to take time to research each school and their faculty's research, but if the forum has good suggestions, then I can go and see if I like the schools it suggests.

Thanks so much!
cpsteiner

studentecon
09-07-2007, 06:42 AM
Hello forum:

My profile is here:
http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/74253-profile-evaluation-verbal-gre-lors.html
Summary: 780Q/510V/5.0AWA, Domestic Undergraduate Student at top-30 school, 3.86GPA, A- math average up to Real Analysis and Beyond, Math/Econ major

I'm thinking my range of schools will be in the 20-70 range, but I'm more concerned about getting a good econometrics experience and the international might not be so important to me. I'm using rankings as a guide, but I'm also not a ratings junkie, so if there's a good school that is not ranked well I would also consider. Schools I'm thinking about applying to are (in order of rank): Berkeley, Yale, UIUC, Brown, UCSD, Michigan State, Toronto, Iowa State, WUSTL. I'm actually pretty excited about WUSTL, and I think as many do that it is underranked. I worked on a paper over the summer that integrated Chib's (WUSTL) research on Bayesian computation. I'm also from St. Louis, and I have a ton of friends in the area.

1) Should I apply to more backup schools?
2) Do you have any suggestions regarding the schools I'm applying to?
3) Do any of you have any good suggestions on where I should apply ??? It's hard to take time to research each school and their faculty's research, but if the forum has good suggestions, then I can go and see if I like the schools it suggests.

Thanks so much!
cpsteiner

It seems that you have well calibrated your profile to the above list. Maybe, you could add one more department like UCLA, Austin or Rochester, depending on your geographic tastes. Good luck!