PDA

View Full Version : Just focus on financial aid firstly

zheng liang
09-08-2007, 08:14 AM
Hi everyone:
I am a chinese poor student, and I will pursue a PhD (economics) . so the first thing I care about is whether I can get financial aid such as fellowship, TA or RA. In addition, my proflie is fair not strong, so I will apply some low ranking schools, for example, below top50
My question is what kind of schoosl I can get moeny more easier? and to be generous to international students.
Thank you for any advice.

Epictetus
09-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Most schools that admit you will offer some financial aid, by which I mean tuition plus a stipend. Being admitted with no aid can essentially be considered not getting in, since most Americans can't afford graduate school tuition either. I'm not an expert on schools below 50 that offer decent aid, but as a rule, look for private (not state) universities which show evidence of trying to substantially improve their economics department, e.g. lots of recent hires from better places. That suggests they have money and will be willing to support students. For example, you might try George Mason University. Anyone else know some names?

SquareSquare
09-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Try Simon Fraser: Department of Economics, Simon Fraser University (http://www.sfu.ca/economics)

Bayern
09-08-2007, 03:45 PM
UC-Santa Cruz... if you are interested in Intl Trade or Finance.

YoungEconomist
09-08-2007, 05:58 PM
Being admitted with no aid can essentially be considered not getting in, since most Americans can't afford graduate school tuition either.

Can't you just take out a loan for the first year and then usually find TA and RA jobs during the rest of the years? It seems like it wouldn't be that difficult to get a loan for your first year of grad school. I am broke just like everyone else on here, but if I got admitted to a program ranked 20th without funding and another one ranked 50th with funding, I would need some time to make a decision. I remember talking to 2 of the PhD students at my school (UW-Seattle) and they mentioned that they did not receive any funding for their first year, but by year two they were funded.

whxyj
09-09-2007, 02:22 AM
i am a Chinese, finishing my undergraduate in states soon.i think u should try top schools incase u get admitted, and the benefits of top phd programs are needless to say. The thing is once you get the admission letter from them , you could try to get an education loan from some banks in china, as i recall, Shanghai Pudong Dev. bank does this kinda biz. and normally, funding won't be such a big issue in ur second yr and afterwards.

apropos
09-09-2007, 02:47 AM
Hi everyone:
I am a chinese poor student, and I will pursue a PhD (economics) . so the first thing I care about is whether I can get financial aid such as fellowship, TA or RA. In addition, my proflie is fair not strong, so I will apply some low ranking schools, for example, below top50
My question is what kind of schoosl I can get moeny more easier? and to be generous to international students.
Thank you for any advice.

With the exception of a few places (the top programs and most private universities), generally the schools that consider you a borderline applicant are more likely to offer you admission without financial aid while the schools where you're near the top of the applicant pool will want you badly, so they will offer you aid. So the strategy is simple. Have plenty of safeties. Also, apply to as many places as you can afford. Even those that won't offer you aid at first might offer something once they get decisions from other applicants.

zheng liang
09-09-2007, 06:13 AM
thank you for all these tips !
I will try 15-20 schools.
It is difficult to get a ad from top programs?

Epictetus
09-09-2007, 11:05 AM
It depends on the program and the specific university rules regarding admissions. MIT has to have actual funds for every aid offer it makes, and therefore it admits a lot of people without aid and makes funding decisions at the very end (after it gets answers from some admitted people about where they choose to go). On the other hand, almost all of Yale's offers seem to be fully funded from the start. In brief, the top programs that seem to be more difficult to receive aid at include:

Berkeley
Chicago
LSE
MIT
Rochester
NYU
Northwestern
Minnesota.

The ones that are fairly rich and fund everyone they take with maybe a rare exception include

Princeton
Stanford
Stanford GSB (Ph.D. Program)
Yale.

Harvard and Penn would probably be somewhere in the middle. Anyone care to classify other programs ranked 50 and higher?

TruDog
09-09-2007, 01:35 PM
Typically, public programs (with the possible exception of Virginia) don't fund that many students. Private programs are more generous.

snappythecrab
09-09-2007, 03:21 PM
...In brief, the top programs that seem to be more difficult to receive aid at include:

Berkeley
Chicago
LSE
MIT
Rochester
NYU
Northwestern
Minnesota.

Though it has been a while since I applied/looked, I thought everybody at NYU and MIT was funded, either through the university, or some combination with the NSF in MIT's case. :hmm:

Epictetus
09-09-2007, 03:29 PM
For some reason the post is not showing up for me on this page, but I see a post by snappythecrab via the search feature that says everyone at NYU and MIT is funded. I think that's right, but there's also endogeneity -- people who are not offered funding on the day they have to make the decisioin probably don't end up going, on the whole.

studentecon
09-09-2007, 04:42 PM
It depends on the program and the specific university rules regarding admissions. MIT has to have actual funds for every aid offer it makes, and therefore it admits a lot of people without aid and makes funding decisions at the very end (after it gets answers from some admitted people about where they choose to go). On the other hand, almost all of Yale's offers seem to be fully funded from the start. In brief, the top programs that seem to be more difficult to receive aid at include:

Berkeley
Chicago
LSE
MIT
Rochester
NYU
Northwestern
Minnesota.

The ones that are fairly rich and fund everyone they take with maybe a rare exception include

Princeton
Stanford
Stanford GSB (Ph.D. Program)
Yale.

Harvard and Penn would probably be somewhere in the middle. Anyone care to classify other programs ranked 50 and higher?

Harvard funds all admitted people - I agree, UC-Berkeley, MIT and Chicago are probably the best departments that do not fully fund everyone.

studentecon
09-09-2007, 04:47 PM
Though it has been a while since I applied/looked, I thought everybody at NYU and MIT was funded, either through the university, or some combination with the NSF in MIT's case. :hmm:

You are right for NYU. Their standard package includes a 20something stipend plus a subsidized apartment and I believe is given to everyone. MIT has a strategy of allocating funds according to the outcome of outside fellowships. Most of the people end up being funded but some have to wait until end of April to get their funding.

butler blue
09-11-2007, 12:10 PM
Georgetown gave fellowships to about half of our incoming class and seems to have been pumping money into the econ program.