PDA

View Full Version : Roll call! Fall 2007 applicants

polkaparty
09-08-2007, 06:43 PM
This year will probably be even more competitive than last so we need to be prepared to comfort each other when the darkness rolls in….

Seriously, in the spirit of this thread (http://www.urch.com/forums/graduate-admissions/46934-roll-call-econ-applicants-06-07-season.html), post something about yourself if you are applying this fall. We’ll sweat together, relax together, cry together, rejoice together…you get the point.

For myself:

I’m quiet and restrained, fearful that my undergraduate institution reputation will hurt quite a bit (there is definitely a good instrumental variable study lurking out there that compares in-state vs. out-of-state choice sets and outcomes), and just hoping to have a good fall semester.

I took the GRE a few days ago, and was lucky enough, sigh, to see two quantitative sections, one at the very end of the test. That section went terrible as I was extremely fatigued which somewhat snowballed into a breakdown…fortunately that must have been the experimental section and I received a decent score, 780.

I’m interested in, quite vaguely, micro theory and applied research like education and health care, however I have focused mostly on math preparation so my interests may change significantly. I feel as though I should like something related to macro but I haven’t had enough experience there to really know, my school doesn’t really teach or research macro topics.

6 months and counting....

econphilomath
09-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Great to finally be a part of this traditional thread!
Here goes:

I would consider myself an international student from a small developing country.

School: Top public university of my country
Major: Economics and Masters in Economics.
GPA: Graduated 1st in my class, both programs.
GRE: 800q 730v 4.5AWA
Tofel: 118/120
Courses: Tons of econ, some math, no formal real analysis.
TA: Lotsof undergrad macro courses and some graduate macro courses.

Teaching: I teach undergrad macro.

Research: A few applied papers.

RA: Current job is as an RA at Central Bank and lecturer at my university.

LOR: Two senior, one junior. I know them all really well (for over two years) and with all I have co-authored different research.

Interests: Macroeconomics, Labor and Development in general. Applied computational economics and income distribution in particular.

SOP: Tried to be serious, signal I know what I'm getting into. No BS, no talking about whats in my CV, no naming professors and not very long.

Schools: Shooting for the top 15 schools in macro.

My Concerns: The enormous randomness involved in the whole process in general.

Luckykid
09-08-2007, 10:31 PM
School: UW-Milwaukee
Major: Economics/Math Minor
GPA: 3.35 (3.6 Econ) (3.6 Math)(3.6, 3.75, 3.8 The last 3 semesters)
GRE: 770q 460v 4AWA
Tofel: I am an American but my verbal suggests otherwise...
Courses: 301 Int. Micro B
302 Int. Macro A
325 Money B
353 Devlop A
413 Stats B
351 Intro Int A
447 Labor A
513 Econometrics B
454 Trade A
Now Taking: Game Theory, Math Econ I, Spring: Math Econ II
Math: Non-math major Calc A, Calc I B Now taking: Calc II Pending, Proof intro pending Spring: Calc III, Algebra , Linear Programing , Advanced Calc, Axiomatic Geo
Research: Working on undergrad research this semester...nothing special.
LOR: 1 should be stellar Associate prof., 2 others pretty good-good one assoc. one tenured.
Interests: International/Experimental
Schools:
Iowa
Vanderbilt
Mich State
NC State
Middle TN State
U of KY
U of CO Boulder
AZ State
U of Santa Cruz
U of AZ
Oregon
U of Tenn
Iowa State
Purdue
UW-Milwaukee

My Concerns:
Not Enough Math(will go another year of UG if things don't work)
Starting a marriage, new life, and new school at the same time
The level of difficulty

Goals: Tenure track at a Ph.D. Granting research institution. To live comfortably(upper middle), like my job, and be able to spend ample time with my family.

needeconhelp
09-08-2007, 11:46 PM
PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: large US public university(SUNY-SB), Econ and applied math Major

Undergrad GPA: overall GPA: 3.79; eco: 3.89 ; math:3.88.

GRE: 800Q, 510V,AWA 4.0 DOES AWA score matter?

Math Courses: Calc 1-3 (A), differential equations(A),Logic, Language and Proof (B), Introduction to Real Analysis (A), Mathematical Statistics(A), Data Analysis(A), Finite Mathematical Structures (B+),Applied Linear Algebra (A), Linear Algebra(fall), Real Analysis(fall),

Econ Courses: A's: Intro, Micro, Macro, Strategic thinking, Regional, Mathematical Statistics, Applied Microeconomics, Financial; Econometrics (A-), Money and Banking (B+)

Grad classes: Graduate Data Analysis (A), Introduction to Probability(B-), Microeconomics(fall)

Other Courses: Intro to comp. sci.(A)

Letters of Recommendation:
3 strong letters(Yale, Stanford, Hebrew University)
Research Experience: Independent research(fall) with Economics honors thesis
Teaching Experience: Grading assistant for intro to economics.
Research Interests: economics of education, family ( i guess labor, developement), applied microeconomics
SOP: hopefully, interesting.
Other: I have been part of a scientific research on arsenic in drinking water in bangladesh. Thus, I have been co-authored in a few science publications. I can get some very strong recommendations from some of these professors who are really well-known in their fields. would this strengthen my application?

more: I am thinking about applying to 5-6 top-10 schools. 4-5 top10-20, and 2-3 below top- 20. Is it too many schools?

needeconhelp
09-08-2007, 11:53 PM
I guess I should add goals and concerns like my commorades.

My goals: Either teaching or private sector with a relaxed position ( i don't know is it is possible). marriage within a few yrs. become a amateur soccer coach.

Concerns: grad micro and linear Algebra. marriage. screwing up application(lol. excuse my language).

Thesus
09-09-2007, 12:17 AM
PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Comprehensive Canadian university that doesn't appear at econphd.net. (Memorial).
Undergrad GPA: 3.97 (4.0 math, 4.0 econ)
GRE: 800Q, 770V, 5.5A

N.B. My university doesn't actually award A+ for 90+, but I'll denote it as such anyway.
Math Courses: Calc II/III/IV (A,A+,IP), Analysis I/II(A+,A), Intro Stats/Probability(A+), Math Stats I(IP), Linear Algebra I(A+), Integration & Metric Spaces(IP), Discrete Math(A), ODE I(A+)
Econ Courses: Micro I/II/III(A+,A+,A+), Macro I/II/III(A+,A+,A), Intro Econ Stats(A+), Econometrics I/II(A+,A), Mathematical Economics I/II(A+,A+), I/O(A), Natural Resources(A), Cost-Benefit(A), Money & Banking(A+), Monetary(A), Adv. Environmental(IP), Health Econ(IP)

Letters of Recommendation: Fairly enthusiastic, I should imagine. I know my profs well - it's not unknown to spend a friday night in the economics seminar room hanging out with the resident macro/monetary prof. Ph.D's from Toronto, Notre Dame, and a third to be decided. Maybe a math prof from Western, or econ from Johns Hopkins. None of them with any notable publication record.
Research Experience: Nothing formal with a prof, but a couple of in-class papers I think are decent.
Teaching Experience: Department tutor for my third semester.
Research Interests: Economic growth, macro, econometrics.
SOP: Fairly strong, I hope. Tries to allay some concerns about the quality of the undergrad education. Points out my apparent dedication to the discipline, evidenced through my econ electives, and how I enjoy/am not afraid of the math.

Concerns: Recommenders aren't well known, from top institutions, and haven't done much research. Unknown undergrad.
Goals: Academia!
Applying to: UBC, Toronto, Queen's, Minnesota, Princeton, Yale, perhaps others? Tentative.
Other: Aged 20. Canadian citizen. Caucasian male.

Andronicus
09-09-2007, 12:58 AM
GPA: 4.0 on all coursework

ECON: BS and MS from a regional state university.

MATH: Calculus I-IV (multivariate is split into two units here), Linear Algebra, Diff Eq, Topology. Taking Advanced Calculus and Prob/Stats this fall. In the spring I plan to take Advanced Calculus II and Prob/Stats II.

OTHER CLASSES: Logic

LOR: 3 strong letters from econ profs at my school.

RESEARCH: Master's research project, currently an RA working on three different papers with Econ profs, used to RA for a transportation prof.

TEACHING/TA/TUTORING: My primary job as a grad assistant during my MS program was tutoring undergrads. I also was a TA for lots of undergrad and grad (MBA & PhD Public Policy) courses. This fall I'm teaching micro principles at the local community college.

FIELDS: Urban/Regional, Public Econ, Law & Econ, I/O, Experimental

1ST GRE: 750 Q / 610 V / 4.0 AW; This was over two years ago for MS admission. At the time I was not planning on PhD work, so I was happy with my scores.

2ND GRE: 760 Q / 720 V / 4.0 AW; I was getting 800 Q on powerprep, so I am not happy with my score.

Schools I plan to apply to: Northwestern, Michigan, UIUC, Ohio State, Vanderbilt, Indiana, Pittsburgh, Houston, Georgia State

Goal: Tenure-track academic position at a research university.

Concerns: Coming from a lesser-known undergraduate institution could hurt me. My GRE quant score is disappointing. I think I might send in my scores as they are, then re-take the GRE and re-send my scores if I can improve my quant score. Another concern is making sure my wife can find a job where we move.

Fermat
09-09-2007, 01:41 PM
PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Top 25 per USNews (UVirginia), Math and Econ double
Undergrad GPA: 3.3, 3.4 in Econ, 3.0 in Math
Type of Grad: Master's in (applied) Mathematics, Clemson Univesity (Not sure of the ranking, top 100?)
Grad GPA: 4.0 through first year and summer courses
GRE: 800Q, 450V, 3.5 AW (Not great)
Math Courses: All the standard as an undergrad math major. I had a lot of B's in those classes, nothing worse than a B-. As a graduate student: Discrete Math (A), Matrix Algebra (A), Statistical Inference (A, Casella and Berger), Functional Analysis (A), Statistical Models (Regression, etc., A), Operations Research (Linear Programming, A), Probability (A), Stochastic Processes(A)
Econ Courses: The highlights are Intermediate Micro (A-), Intermediate Macro (B+), Game Theory (A-), Stat and Prob for Econ (A), Econometrics (B), Economics of Taxation (B+), Econ and Gender (A-), Money and Banking (B)
Other Courses: Well, I will be taking a lot more OR courses and some more analysis as well as computational math, but those won't help me much now.
Letters of Recommendation: Not from economists. Statistician, Operation Researchist, and Anaylsis Professor
Research Experience: None as of yet, will be starting this fall. Will maybe have more to say in a few months, but nothing of much significance.
Teaching Experience: Worked as TA last year and teaching two sections of a business calculus class this year.
Research Interests: Micro Theory and IO, perhaps econometrics
SOP: Well, since my graduate record is more appealing than my undergrad, I will focus on that and the courses I plan to take in the spring as well as my interests.
Other: American Male.

Applying to: Not final yet but: Virginia, UNC, Georgetown, OSU, UCI, USC, and looking for a few more schools. Please let me know if you have a few to add.

Goal: Unsure, industry or academia obviously.

Concerns. Hoping GRE V and AW won't hurt too much and undergraduate GPA was mediocre. However, hopefully they will realize the grading is tough at UVA(although that's not an excuse). Also, letters won't be from economists.

Good luck everybody.

ward
09-09-2007, 07:51 PM
SCHOOL: Oklahoma State University
MAJOR: undergraduate ECON (honors) and MATH
GPA: 3.93 overall, 4.0 Econ, 3.8ish Math
GRE: V 530, Q 790, AWA 5.0

Econ Courses: Intermediate Macro and Micro, Grad Leve Micro, and Math Econ
Math Courses: Calc I-III, DifEq, Linear, Vector Calc, Intro to Modern Algebra, Modern Analysis, Mathematical Modeling, Mathematical Statistics I and II, and Advanced Calc I

Research: Honors Thesis

LOR: thesis advisor (econ), tenured professor (econ), and analysis professor (none of which are well known as far as I know)

Interests: Micro Theory, Behavioral and Experimental Economics, Applied Micro

Applying To: Harvard, Chicago, MIT, Northwestern, NYU, Wisc-Madison, UC-San Diego, Cornell, Virginia, UNC-Chapel Hill, Penn State, UIUC, and Arizona.

I'm hoping to get accepted to either Wisconsin or San Diego but might as well hope that the apparent randomness of admits works in my favor at the top programs

Concerns: My low GRE verbal score and undergraduate institution. Our Econ department does not have a good placement record, but our Math department consistently sends students to top 10 programs for mathematics.

Goals: Possibly work for the World Bank or IMF for a few years but ultimately want to end up in academia.

Other: I think it is funny that the lowest verbal scores (mine included) come from american students.

polkaparty
09-09-2007, 08:22 PM
I think it is funny that the lowest verbal scores (mine included) come from american students.

A coworker of mine from India told me that a lot of her friends study ridiculously hard for the GRE because they want to come to the U.S. If they don't get accepted (with funding as well, I imagine), then they can't emigrate. U.S. citizens obviously don't have this incentive and hence we don't work too hard at learning all the vocabulary words precisely.

Personally, I spent 0 minutes studying for the verbal and about 30 minutes total for the writing (just reading some sample essays). I consider myself a good writer, but my strong point is style, of which diction is only one component. Usually I know a synonym of the word I am looking for and I use a thesaurus and dictionary to guide me to the best choice.

In general you just have to read a lot of different kinds of writing to gain a large, working vocabulary. I don't especially enjoy reading literature, relative to other leisure activities, so my vocabulary isn't very refined.

econphilomath
09-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Regarding verbal GRE scores. Notice the verbal score of applicants from Canada and from the UK. Generally pretty high and probably without studying so much.
Another thought: Internationals who speak english do so because they have been taught in a formal manner and gained their vocabulary in clase or from reading. So their vocabulary does not contain slang and common words used everyday by americans. (Example: Like, hmmm yea.)

If the idea mentioned above regarding internationals having a higher score was meant to imply that the verbal test is 1) trainable and thus 2) does not measure real english or something like that is not clear to me. What is true is that a low score shows that you either a) have a low vocabulary or b) not motivated enough to study for it. Both bad. Then again I'm not sure how important this score is anyway....

Fermat
09-10-2007, 04:19 PM
What is true is that a low score shows that you either a) have a low vocabulary or b) not motivated enough to study for it. Both bad. Then again I'm not sure how important this score is anyway....

Or that your have a finite amount of time and that your time is better spent preparing for the quantitative. But I don't think you can pinpoint the exact reason.

08Applicant
09-10-2007, 07:18 PM
Profile:
School: Top 50 US University. Top 50 economics department.
(I was a junior college transfer)
Major: Economics/Math BA
GPA: University GPA: 3.79, Junior College GPA: 3.61
(I only took math and econ courses at uni, so math and econ gpa's are around 3.8)
GRE: We'll see what happens on October 1.

Econ Courses: 3 Quarters Intermediate Micro. Intermediate Macro. Topics in Macro. 2 Quarters Econometrics. 2 Quarter Honors Thesis. (No graduate courses)
Math Courses: Calc I-III, Linear Algebra, Diff. Equations, 2 Quarters Advanced Linear Algebra (upper division), 2 Quarters Real Analysis.

Research: Honors Thesis on Spatial Competition. Fooling around with and writing my NSF grant research proposal on racial profiling during motor vehicle stops. The project is my boss' (see work).
Work: Currently a research assistant at an economic consulting firm for two tenured economists/professors. My boss was my time-series and discrete choice econometrics professor and I'd be thrilled to attend his university (he was visiting when he taught my course at my uni).

LORs: Real Analysis Prof (Math Dept Chair - PhD UCSD), Micro Theory Prof (Funded Chair and reasonably well known - PhD Stanford), Current Boss and former Econometrics Prof. (PhD MIT)

Research Interest: Micro Theory. Behavioral and possibly Experimental Economics. Applied Micro. Applied Micro-Econometrics.

Applying to: I could use a few suggestions. One obvious suggestion will be the top 20 school I have the highest hopes for. For reasons described above.

econphilomath
09-10-2007, 08:01 PM
Or that your have a finite amount of time and that your time is better spent preparing for the quantitative. But I don't think you can pinpoint the exact reason.

Yes that is true given a fixed amount of time. Then again you can always alot more time to studying for the GRE.

Obviously time is scarce but I want to make the following point that I think is important for everyone. Most of the important things for your application are state variables that reflect a series of decisions made in the past. Good GPA, relationships with professors, research projects, your undergraduate institution etc. None of these are choice variables now at application time. In other words, you can't change the fact your GPA is not as good as you would like, or that you did't TA or RA with a good profesor. One of the few things you can do is study and get a decent GRE. Even if it is relatively unimportant, its all you can do now to compensate some of the gaps in your profile.
Finally, if getting into a PhD program of your choice is important to you, you should always have time to allocate to this objective. Party less, sleep less, study for class a little less, chat less on TM. So if some international can study and beat you at your own native language, what's going to stop that from happening in Real Analysis or on the job market for that matter. Do internationals not have other things to do with their time also, or are they (the ones who manage good GRE score) just more motivated and focused on their goals.

I hope this motivates people to give it their best shot, not to PM me with hate mail. As a caveat I think verbal scores only matter a lot if they are very very low and one should only study for it once a good quantitative score has been more or less secured.

signal08
09-12-2007, 05:34 AM
hi guys. this is one of my first posts :)

i know my profile isn't nearly as strong as many of you regular posters (esp. in the math area), but here it is. please offer feedback and comments.

PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Top 7 economics department in the U.S (ranking fluctuates between 3 to 7, depending on source); university ranked top 20 overall (according to us news rank)
Undergrad GPA: 3.6 overall; 3.8 econ
Type of Grad: n/a
Grad GPA: n/a
GRE: 740Q, 570V, 5.5 AW :doh:
Math Courses: pitiful-- calculus, diff eq, probability, statistical inference, mathematical stats, (all A's, except calc II)
Econ Courses: economic principles (A-), intermediate micro (A), intermediate macro (A), econometrics (A+), law and economics (A), behavioral economics (A-), advanced micro theory (A), game theory (A)
Other Courses: finance (A-), independent research, honors senior thesis seminar
Letters of Recommendation: all well-known, highly published economists. LOR 1 is from a very well respected tenured econ and law professor (econ phd from Harvard, as well as various honorary law degrees- apparently John Rawls was on his dissertation committee); LOR 2 is from a young albeit ridiculously brilliant tenured professor (phd from MIT); LOR 3 is an associate professor who taught me advanced micro theory and game theory (phd from NYU)
Research Experience: independent research in law and economics (wrote various papers, but none published); research and lab experience for an econ grad student; currently writing a honors thesis
Teaching Experience: private tutoring
Research Interests: law and econ, behavioral economics, contract/mechanism design, game theory
SOP: will be stellar
Other: female, 21 years old

Applying to: mostly interested in law and economics programs (hence my lack of math might not be too much of a problem)- most schools that i'm looking at right now are ranked 30 and beyond

Goal: probably not academia since i'm very much aware that i won't be able to get into top 30

Concerns. lack of hardcore math; mediocre gres. hopefully the fact that my undergrad institution is rather prestigious (and consequently, my LOR are from well-known, respected economists) will make up for that....

please comment guys!!

eqtisadi
09-12-2007, 09:20 AM
PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Top Israeli university.
Undergrad GPA: 94.1% (If 90+ is A, then it should be really close to 4.0 on an American scale).
Masters GPA: 96% (first year)
GRE: 800Q, 450V, 5.0 AW
TOEFL: 297/300 (I took the CBT two years ago, so I need to retake it)
Math Courses: Calculus, (simple and calculus-based) Statistics, Linear algebra and advanced calculus, as well as two advanced logic courses by the department of philosophy (all 90+). I might take the Real Analysis equivalent this semester.
Econ Courses: All around: undergrad: intro to econ I & II, price theory I & II, macro I & II, development, econ history, intro to econometrics, honors students seminar. MA: micro, macro I & II, industrial organization, econometrics I-III, econ history. All 90+
Letters of Recommendation: Haven't asked yet, but two will probably be good LORs from known professors. Still thinking about who to get my third LOR from.
Research Experience: About a semester of working as a RA.
Teaching Experience: Worked as TA last year and TAing 4-5 courses this year.
Research Interests: Many of them. Development - because of the importance of this issue, Economic History and Thought - for the intellectual bliss, IO - for the perspective on the business world. I really like Becker's models, so issues like economics of crime, family etc. are also very interesting. As long as it's not the boring monetary stuff - many interests, as I noted.
SOP: They say it doesn't make any difference, so I haven't put enough thought in it yet.
Other: Israeli Male.

Applying to: Some top-15 universities. Below that, I'm not sure it will worth the 5 years and thousands of miles away from here.
Goal: Right now, academia. But as the old Yiddish saying goes: "One plans, but God laughs" (it always sounds better in Yiddish ;))

Concerns. No Real Analysis yet (I understand that it's a strong signal for the adcoms). Uncertainty regarding the strength of the LORs. The stochastic part of the admissions process. Above all, leaving my home country for 5 years with my wife.

Happy new (Hebrew) year
Blessed Ramadhan too
I know it's off-topic but I think it's pretty cool that this year, the Jewish new year and the muslim ramadhan coincide. I hope it's not too miss-universe of me to say that maybe it's a chance for the believers of the two religions to reconciliate too. Just a hope. No intention to start a political debate.

Fermat
09-12-2007, 11:45 AM

i know my profile isn't nearly as strong as many of you regular posters (esp. in the math area), but here it is. please offer feedback and comments.

PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Top 7 economics department in the U.S (ranking fluctuates between 3 to 7, depending on source); university ranked top 20 overall (according to us news rank)
Undergrad GPA: 3.6 overall; 3.8 econ
Type of Grad: n/a
Grad GPA: n/a
GRE: 740Q, 570V, 5.5 AW :doh:
Math Courses: pitiful-- calculus, diff eq, probability, statistical inference, mathematical stats, (all A's, except calc II)
Econ Courses: economic principles (A-), intermediate micro (A), intermediate macro (A), econometrics (A+), law and economics (A), behavioral economics (A-), advanced micro theory (A), game theory (A)
Other Courses: finance (A-), independent research, honors senior thesis seminar
Letters of Recommendation: all well-known, highly published economists. LOR 1 is from a very well respected tenured econ and law professor (econ phd from Harvard, as well as various honorary law degrees- apparently John Rawls was on his dissertation committee); LOR 2 is from a young albeit ridiculously brilliant tenured professor (phd from MIT); LOR 3 is an associate professor who taught me advanced micro theory and game theory (phd from NYU)
Research Experience: independent research in law and economics (wrote various papers, but none published); research and lab experience for an econ grad student; currently writing a honors thesis
Research Interests: law and econ, behavioral economics, contract/mechanism design, game theory
SOP: will be stellar
Other: female, 21 years old

Applying to: mostly interested in law and economics programs (hence my lack of math might not be too much of a problem)- most schools that i'm looking at right now are ranked 30 and beyond

Goal: probably not academia since i'm very much aware that i won't be able to get into top 30

Concerns. lack of hardcore math; mediocre gres. hopefully the fact that my undergrad institution is rather prestigious (and consequently, my LOR are from well-known, respected economists) will make up for that....

please comment guys!!
Have you taken a Linear Algebra class? If not, can you take it in the spring so at least adcoms will know you will have it by the time you enter? Also, why not take your GRE again? I know it's a pain, but you have a pretty good profile and a better Q score could really improve it; just make sure you study for the test.

Thesus
09-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Signal08, to echo what Fermat is saying, a linear algebra class is really important, and a prerequisite for many phd programs.

signal08
09-12-2007, 07:04 PM
Fermat and Thesus, thank you both for the helpful comments.

I actually do plan on taking linear algebra in my final semester. (where in my application would i say that? that SOP presumable?) ... as for the GRE, yeah you're right- its a pain studying for and it'll be kind of hard to make time for it given my heavy course load this semester (20 units + thesis!). But the marginal benefit of getting that 800 or so probably outweighs the short-term pain i'll have to endure.

so just to sum up. most parts of my profile i can't change. but if i take linear algebra (and perhaps another adv. math class) in the spring + retake GRE to improve my Q score... then perhaps? what kind of schools do you think i'd be able to get into??

thanks in advance.

econphilomath
09-14-2007, 09:37 PM

Your profile does not look bad at all. I think your low quant gre is the binding restriction for you. Maybe give it another shot. You still have time.:tup:

Fermat
09-27-2007, 02:36 PM
Bump for possible new visitors...

ForTheWin!_08
09-27-2007, 02:59 PM
PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: International, best in South Africa (University of Cape Town for those in the know)

Undergrad GPA: We don't use the GPA system. So far, about 80%, which is 4.0 according to the WES conversion scale.

Type of Grad: N/A
Grad GPA: N/A

GRE: 800Q, 5.0 A, 670 V

Math Courses: Extrapolating slightly to the end of the year (since our year is February-November): A year and a half of calculus, Linear Algebra, Algebra I and II, Real Analysis, Metric Spaces, Complex Analysis, Measure Theory, Functional Analysis I + II, Differential Geometry, Topology I + II, Algebraic Topology. Almost all above 75%, so I guess A- to A+ range.

Undergrad thesis: Explained the Delbaen-Schachermayer version of the "Fundamental Theorem of Asset Pricing" (basically, a financial market satisfies No Arbitrage iff there exists an equvalent martingale ["risk-neutral"] probability measure). Essentially, it was just a whole lot of functional analysis and a little bit of stochastic integration.

Econ Courses: Intro macro/micro/game theory, Intermediate Macro/Micro, Honours Macro/Micro (i.e. 4th-yr level - we used adult Varian for micro, to give you an idea of the level), Undergrad Metrics and Quantitative Methods, Computational Political Economy (4th-yr elective on simulation methods and behavioural econ), Masters Econometrics, Masters/PhD Microeconometrics (in progress). All A- to A+ range.

Other Courses: 3 years of Mathematical Statistics, including stuff on: basic probability theory, regression analysis, stochastic processes/time series (not that I remember much of it!), Bayesian statistics, generalised linear models/qualitative regression models. Some basic applied math courses on ordinary differential equations (A's).

Letters of Recommendation: One should be very enthusiastic, from the one of the country's most hardcore empirical microeconomists (though his PhD is local)... another is likely to be good (I mean, I'm certain the guy thinks I'm smart, I got the second-best grade in his class), from quite a big-shot macro guy (PhD Cambridge, and he's co-authored some stuff with Phillip Aghion), but he's only taught me once. I'll probably use my honours thesis supervisor for the third one.

Research Experience: Not a lot... I've ostensibly been an RA for one professor for a summer, but I'm not sure how much work you should do to say this of yourself... I attempted to solve this game theory problem for him (he kind of gave me a half-finished paper of his and said "Can you fix this up?"... I couldn't). So not so impressive on this front I think.

Teaching Experience: Tutor for intermediate micro for two years, rewrote some of the problem sets for the same course.

Research Interests: Development micro, game theory, criminology

SOP: Haven't written it yet. I'll probably say something about the kinds of phenomena I find interesting, mention some papers I've read and liked, and hope for the best.

Weaknesses: No research experience, from a relatively unknown university; no money to live off of if financial aid is denied.

Applying to top 10 and Michigan, possibly Oxford and LSE too (several people from my university have gotten in at Michigan and Oxford before, so they're the somewhat safer options). If I get denied everywhere, I'll take a year to work as an RA and apply again next year, lower down the ranks.

econyun
09-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Type of Undergrad: McGill U( Canada )
Undergrad GPA: 3.7X

GRE: ---not yet---Coming next week.

Math Courses: Matrix Algebra A, Linear Algebra A, Analysis 1 A-, Abstract Algebra B, ODE A, Probability A, Calculus 3 A, Vector Calculus A, Currently taking Grad Mathematical Statistics and Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos

Econ Courses: Inter Micro A-, Macro A, Econometrics A-, Advanced Econ A-, Game Theory A, Money and Banking A, IO B-, Labour Econ B+, One project Research on Search Theory with A. Currently taking Grad Microeconomic Theory 1.

Other Courses: Got one business degree at HKU with graduation gpa 3.9x.
Took some very very basic Econ and Math class with all As.

Interest Fleid: Growth Theory or/and Game Theory.

Still dont know what range of Universities and how many universities should I apply to?

Elly
10-01-2007, 04:55 PM
I will be applying this year. I'm a double major math/econ, with all the necessary coursework/scores/GPA. I have strong LORs and significant research experience. My interests are development and micro theory, and I'm targeting top 10.
My concerns mostly revolve around my schooling- small LAC adds some uncertainty to my preparation. I've taken some advanced econ at a top 10 department and got A's (and offers for recs), so I'm hoping adcoms will take this as evidence of my ability.
Mostly I'm excited to finally be at this stage, applications have been the big uncertainty in my future for the last few years, and I'm ready to know where I'm ending up. I know economic research is what I will be doing with my life, it's just a matter of where, so I'm trying to keep some perspective on the process.

ForTheWin!_08
10-21-2007, 06:42 PM
Bump!

asianecon
10-21-2007, 11:30 PM
nevermind

econyun
10-22-2007, 01:09 AM
Got my GRE.....that s really bad...

Type of Undergrad: McGill U( Canada )
Undergrad GPA: 3.7X

GRE: 310 / 800

Math Courses: Matrix Algebra A, Linear Algebra A, Analysis 1 A-, Abstract Algebra B, ODE A, Probability A, Calculus 3 A, Vector Calculus A, Currently taking Grad Mathematical Statistics and Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos

Econ Courses: Inter Micro A-, Inter Macro A, Inter Econometrics A-, Advanced Econ A-, Game Theory A, Money and Banking A, IO B-, Labour Econ B+, One project Research on Search Theory with A. Currently taking Grad Microeconomic Theory 1.

Other Courses: Got one business degree at HKU with graduation gpa 3.9x.
Took some very very basic Econ and Math class with all As.

Interest Fleid: Growth Theory or/and Game Theory.

I am thinking to apply to SFU, U of Toronto MA(doctoral stream) as well as U Western Ontario MA.
Also, I ll apply to Phd Yale U, Northwestern U as well as Minnesota U.
If I m lucky enough to get in any one of the Phd program, that s amazing.
If not, it doesnt hurt to apply to them.
Otherwise I hope I could land on any MA program in Canada for one more year.

Do you guys think I am likely to get an offer from Minnesota U????

the_asker
10-22-2007, 01:59 AM
asianecon: never mind what?

econyun: is that a 310 in the quant section?

asianecon
10-22-2007, 02:19 AM
I'll join the bandwagon..

PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: National University of Singapore (Econ Honours)
Undergrad GPA: 4.7/5.0 (top econ student; medals, prizes and a prize in metrics); 1st class hons

Type of Grad: Toulouse, Math econ and metrics (1st year of PhD)
Grad GPA: 2nd out of 25 in eco-math, 2nd out of 65 for all

GRE: 750 Q, 600 V, 4.0 AW; 800 Q 610 V ? AW

Math Courses: calculus and analysis, linear algebra, optimization

Econ Courses: PhD sequence in micro, macro and metrics; a lot of other stuff

Letters of Recommendation: undergrad supervisor (and co-author; offered to talk to Peter Phillips about me), grad supervisor, plus 2 guys I'm now RAing for

Research Experience: RA for undergrad supervisor (involved mathematical proofs in a paper published in Econometric Theory with Mark Armstrong from UCL; calibration exercise in a paper with Jerry Hausman of MIT); now RAing for 2 well-known young UofC guys; forthcoming co-authored (with undergrad sup) theory paper in the International Journal of Industrial Organization (which was cited in a Sept 2007 American Econ Rev article); other papers on paternal involvement in child-rearing (both theory and empirical), differential games applied to shipping alliances, evaluating small sample performance of a particular "thin set" estimator with respect to heteroskedasticity in binary response models, hybrid covariate and propensity score matching models

Teaching Experience: none

Research Interests: IO (both applied theory and metric modelling), competition policy and development, "econometrics" of linguistic data (statistical natural language processing), "econometric" issues in DNA microarray data, panel data, econometrics of mechanism design models (particularly model selection tests and structural econometrics, eg auctions)

SOP: Haven't written it yet; will elaborate on research agenda instead of explaining my achievements, weaknesses etc

Weaknesses: math

Tentative list of schools
Yale HBS Harvard MIT Chicago GSB Chicago Northwestern Stanford Stanford GSB Berkeley UCSD KSG PEG Columbia Sustainable Devt UPenn Princeton MSU

econyun
10-22-2007, 02:26 AM
asianecon: never mind what?

econyun: is that a 310 in the quant section?

310 is verbal.
:mad::mad::mad:

zulkfal
10-22-2007, 06:20 PM
Undergrad:- Financial Economics 2:1 UK (A- US as WES conversion) [Not highly ranked university) [3 resits out of 15 was lazy didn’t submitted coursework on time)
No Mathematics during above undergraduate
Graduate: - MSc Econometrics [University Ranked top 10 in UK]
Books used in lectures are standard for first year graduate in US e.g.
Econometrics Analysis from W. Greene, A. Mas-Colell, M. Whinston and J. Green, Microeconomic Theory, D. Kreps, A Course in Microeconomic Theory, Harvester Wheatsheaf,
Courses Grad level: - Micro I II, Econometrics I II, Time Series Analysis, Quantities Assets Pricing, Econometrics for Financial Markets, Labour Economics
Mathematics: - Calculus I + II, Linear Algebra, differential equation
GRE: - 800/570/4.5
Research: - Working as RA with my undergraduate professor from undergraduate university
Own research: - Emerging Market Inflation targeting - Case of Pakistan (Sent to South Asia Economics Journal for publication)
Undergraduate Dissertation: - Market Microstructure –Evidence from KSE-100
LOR: - Two from Undergraduate and 2 from Graduate School All four hold PhD
From Stanford (Micro Professor), Vilnius (Time Series Analysis), 2 from Cambridge (Financial Economics and Labour Economics) Done Research with one of PhD from Cambridge and dissertation with him as well.
University interested:- A long list
U Chicago, Princeton U, North-western U, Yale U, Stanford U, Cornell U, U Michigan - Ann Arbor, U Texas – Austin, Columbia U, University of Mary Land- College Park, U Wisconsin – Madison, U Rochester, Boston U, Brown University, U Minnesota, University of Texas Austin, Boston College, California Institute of Technology (Caltech),Penn State University, Carnegie Mellon University. Texas A&M University, John Hopkins University, University of Washington
Rice University, Georgetown U, Washington U St Louis

econphilomath
10-22-2007, 09:56 PM
310 is verbal.
:mad::mad::mad:

How?? Did you even try, or just randomly pick answers?

econyun
10-22-2007, 11:36 PM
How?? Did you even try, or just randomly pick answers?

How did I get it ..? I think it s not the mainpoint..

Chicunomics
10-23-2007, 03:49 PM
School: Top econ department in Australia.
Major: Economics (Commerce/Law degree, dropped the law to pursue economics). Now doing a bit of maths part-time.
GPA: NA really, since international. H1 (A) in every subject in my commerce degree. So-so in law, but I don't really think any reasonable ad-com would care.
GRE: 800Q, 700V, Waiting on results for the AWA/percentiles
Courses: Economics: up to grad level micro, macro, econometrics, auction theory, search theory, industrial organization (all As)
Mathematics: On my transcript: Advanced streams of first year linear algebra, calculus, also core undergrad probability, statistics subjects (As in subjects completed so far). For semester before I start: vector analysis, real & complex analysis.
Research: Thesis prize; theoretical IO paper (to be submitted to Information Economics and Policy soon co-authored with advisor), co-author on another paper to be submitted to Journal of Labour Economics soon. RA since 2004 - both empirical and theoretical stuff.
TA: TA in intro Micro and Macro, advanced undergrad IO.
LOR: 1 former head of department, 1 full professor (both of those widely published highly respected professors), 1 thesis advisor, junior academic, currently on leave at Berkeley (which I hope will help...!). They all love me, I have no reason to think they'd be anything but positive.
Other: Graduated top of economics program; top of honours degree (1st of 149).
Interests: IO/Micro Theory
Schools:
Harvard
Stanford
Stanford GSB
Berkeley
Northwestern
Northwestern Kellogg MEDS
Princeton
NYU
Yale
MIT
U Penn
UCLA
U Wisconsin
U Maryland
Columbia

My Concerns:
A little weak on the math. But people from Australian Honours programs seem to circumvent that pretty well. I hope I can also be one of those people.

Mr.Keen
10-23-2007, 04:26 PM
Schools: Top econ undergrad from Mexico, Masters from unknown US department, graduate summer at Duke.
Major: Economics. Now taking maths while working full-time for the fed.
GPA: Undergrad: 81/100 (tough program). Grad: 3.8, 4.0 at Duke.
GRE: Q=790, V=550, E(AW)=5.0
Courses: Economics: up to grad level micro, macro, econometrics (A's on grad-level, B's and C's in undergrad) All the standard field courses you take in a top latin american undergraduate program: IO (Tirole), International Trade (Feenstra-level material and Helpman and Krugman), Public Finance I and II (Musgrave & Musgrave, Rosen), Open Macro (mostly journal articles, Sebastian Edwards' book on RXR).
Statistics: Probability Theory, Mathematical Statistics, 3 theoretical econometrics (Greene was the textbook in all three). Applied econometrics, applied time-series.
Mathematics: Calc I and II, Logic and Proofs, Linear Algebra, Numerical Optimization, Introductory Real Anlaysis, Dynamic Optimization (Continuous and discrete), all A's.
Research: Published paper in exchange rate error correction modeling. Working paper on international real business cycles (research sample). Working paper on growth and space. Several Fed publications.
TA: TA in intro Macro, International and Development.
LOR: Two Duke professors (tenured with strong publication record). One respected Fed economist.
Interests: Open Macro, International Trade, Growth and Applied IO
Schools:
Berkeley
Northwestern (Finance at Kellog)
NYU
Yale
MIT (Financial Econ at Sloan)
UT Austin
Minnesota
Duke
My Concerns:
My low undergraduate grades. I hope the coursework at Duke can compensate those. I expect the recommendations to be superb, so that must help. Affirmative action might help, too (not at NYU, though).

Mr.Keen
10-28-2007, 02:22 AM
GRE update: Q=790, V=550, E(AW)=5.0 [clap] Enough for me.

Ibn Abbas
10-28-2007, 03:10 AM
Deleted.

polkaparty
12-19-2007, 03:55 AM
Bump for any new people: application time is almost over and the waiting game is prime to begin.

savingtheplanet
12-19-2007, 04:13 AM
Applying to top 10 and Michigan, possibly Oxford and LSE too (several people from my university have gotten in at Michigan and Oxford before, so they're the somewhat safer options). If I get denied everywhere, I'll take a year to work as an RA and apply again next year, lower down the ranks.

Yep, Michigan has a bunch of students from South Africa. Remarkably bright chaps you are, too...

Plus, there's lots of faculty on campus doing research in South Africa, if that's what you're interested in.

Good luck all!

ounlopez
12-19-2007, 05:45 AM
For those of you wondering if writing matters, I have a couple of thoughts. I am in my third year of an econ PhD program. For those people with strong math skills, the first two years are a breeze. Once these folks pass the core/comp exams though, the rest hinges on writing ability. I have seen many people drop out of a PhD program with the masters, because the writing is too difficult.

My suggestion, take some technical writing courses. Maybe even a journalism course.

Good luck,
Oun

pevdoki1
12-19-2007, 04:11 PM
Undergrad: Mid-sized state university (SUNY Binghamton)
GPA: 3.98 total, 4.0 math, 3.97 econ (Economics/Math double major)
GRE: Q800, V470, AWA 4.5 :hmm:
Teaching Experience: Intermediate macro, also worked as a tutor
Research Experience: Virtually none. Started a thesis, never finished
Math: Up to abstract algebra and real analysis
LOR: 1 from econ professor who knows me really well, 2 from math professors
Interests: Monetary/macro

Applying to:
PhD: Minnesota (reach, obviously), Washington St Louis, Texas-Austin, Rutgers, Indiana, Purdue. MA: UBC, U Toronto, U Western Ontario.

Hoping to get into UWO or Washington-St Louis...

2008applicant
12-20-2007, 01:30 AM
Undergrad: Top three LAC in US
GPA: 3.75/4.0 Econ (Econ major)
Math:Calc I-III, Linear Algebra
GRE: 790Q/710V/5.5AW
Teaching experience: TA in college for Intermediate Macro and Econometrics
Research experience: Senior thesis, since turned into co-authored paper w/ advisors, submitted for publication. RA job since college (3 years) supervising big field experiment in Latin America. Started (no results yet) small independent field/lab experiment here.
LOR: 2 from my current bosses, one pretty famous, the other I work w/ very closely and has some good publications...they like me. The other from my thesis advisor.
Interests: development, demography, experimental

Applying to: Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Yale, Michigan, Wisconsin (AAE), Davis (ARE), Berkeley (ARE), Brown, UCSD, UCLA, Duke, Penn (Demography), NYU
Concerns: Math!

Julius
12-20-2007, 03:35 AM
Undergrad : Top Undergrad School in my country (Northeast Asia), Currently enrolled in the masters course in the same school.
Interest : Micro theory, Econometrics
GPA: 3.93/4.0 (Overall), 3.97/4.0 (Econ), 4.0/4.0 (Math) : Econ Major
GRE: 800Q/740V/4.0AW , TOEFL: 116
Honors: Top in my graduating class (1/201)
2 Grand prizes in paper contests (one in my school, one nationwide)
Math : Linear Algebra, Calculus 2, Topology, Mathematical Analysis, Real Analysis, Math Stat., Theory of Stat (Grad), (All A+) Probability Theory (Grad) (A0)
Advanced Econ : Grad Micro, Stat, Advanced Micro, Time Series Econometrics (All A+), Macro (A0)
TA : Econometrics, Statistics and Time Series Econometrics.
RA : Macro paper of my adviser, programming for cointegration analysis and stuff.
LOR : Two from econ profs who knows me really well, one from a stat prof.
Schools : Top 10 in econphd.net + Stanford GSB

Concern : weak research experience

115th dream
12-20-2007, 04:00 PM
School: Moderately sized public state school with no econ grad program.
Major: Economics. Math & Psychology minors.
GPA: 3.80, 4.0 in Math & Econ
GRE: 790Q, 600V, 4.5AWA
Courses: Economics: the usual principles & intermediate micro's & macro's, game theory, behavioral econ, history of econ, experimental econ, international econ
Mathematics: cal I-III, linear algebra, probability theory (taking diff eq., math stats, and adv. math for proofs in the spring)
Research: none
LOR: two economists and a mathematician
Interests: Micro theory
Schools: nyu, northwestern, pitt, maryland, uva, texas, illinois, ohio state, toronto (MA)

My Concerns: everything. i'm just hoping for some luck.

cpsteiner
12-21-2007, 08:25 AM
School: Top-30 Econ school
Major: Economics & Mathematics
GPA: 3.86, slightly lower in my major but not much
GRE: 780Q/510V/5.0AWA
Courses: Calc I/II/III, Intro to Proof, Linear Algebra, DiffEq, Stats & Prob, Linear Regression, Categorical Data, Real Analysis, Linear Programming, Nonlinear Programming, Numerical Analysis, Macro/Micro Introductory/Intermediate, Euro-Econ, Development of Africa, Commodities Futures Options, International Economics, Macroeconomic Policy, Econometrics, Public Sector Economics
Research: Cross-collaboration with MA in African Studies regarding data collected at a South African bank, Bayesian modeling biostats research over the summer at a Math REU
Recommendations: 1 Economist, 1 AgEconomist, 2 Statisticians
Research Interest: Applying statistical/econometric techniques to international economics.
Concerns: I think my profile is strong, but I am concerned about the low verbal score. I am a domestic student (US), but I couldn't seem to get the verbal score up. I seriously was struggling and tried hard. O well, things happen.
Schools: Yale, Berkeley, Brown, UIUC (PhD Econ & MA Ag Econ), Michigan State, WUSTL, UCSD, Toronto (MA), Purdue Ag Econ MA, Iowa State
Goal: To rule the world.

Econtobe
12-21-2007, 03:50 PM
A coworker of mine from India told me that a lot of her friends study ridiculously hard for the GRE because they want to come to the U.S. If they don't get accepted (with funding as well, I imagine), then they can't emigrate.

I couldn't resist posting what I know although the thread exists for a different reason, especially since there is a reference to Indian students. In my (Indian) university, every year there were atleast 5 people who used to get 2400/2400 in the (yesteryears) GRE. And a lot (really a lot) will have scores over 2250.. I would imagine scores in excess of 1500 is just normal even now.

Reason - students here don't have anything else to do except study. They are made to think if they don't emigrate they aren't fit to live. I ain't exaggerating.

econyun
12-23-2007, 09:33 AM
Undergrad : McGill U( Hons in Econ and Minor in Math ) and HKU( Business Admin )
GPA: 3.79 at McGill U / 3.98 HKU
GRE: 800Q/310V/3.0AW

Math : Abstract Algebra (B):eek:, Matrix Algebra (A), Linear Algebra(A), Calculus 3(A), Advanced Calculus(A), Analysis 1(A-), ODE(A), Probability(A), Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos(A) and Graduate Mathematical Statistics 1(A)

Econ:
Full-Year Courses: Micro(A-), Macro(A), Metrics(A-), Advanced Econ Theory(A-), Labour(B+):crazy:, Money and Banking(A)
Half-Year course: IO(B-):crazy:, Graduate Game Theory(A), Graduate Micro 1 (A), Project Research(A)

Schools : Minnesota U, Brown U, U of T (MA), UWO(MA).....and some..

Concern : No RA experience.

I really wanna go to Minnesota U for my phd in econ...............

Sammy6
12-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Type of Undergrad: Top 25 Econ
Undergrad GPA: 4.0/4.0
Type of Grad: MA, Top 25 Econ
Grad GPA: 4.0/4.0
GRE: 800Q, 650V, 5.0 AW
Math Courses: calc 1-3, diff eq, linear algebra, stochastic processes, optimization theory, adv. prob/stat (all A's), audit topology, self-study real analysis
Econ Courses: Micro, Macro and Metrics (Intermed, Master's and 1st semester PhD), Health (MA), Trade(MA and PhD), Internat'l Finance (MA), Game Theory (MA)
Letters of Recommendation: 5 very strong (1 Harvard, 1 Chicago, 2 MIT, 1 Michigan). 4 of the professors are very well known. 4 i took classes from, and 2 I worked with.
Research Experience: RA for one year, about to submit co-authored paper with supervisor
Research Interests: no f***'in clue
SOP: pretty good, my adviser took a look
Other: female, 21 years old, transfer

Applying to: more or less the top 10

Concerns:
Formal math. I audited topology and taught myself real analysis.

Canuckonomist
12-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Type of Undergrad: Queen's University, Canada (Top 40, depending on where you check.)

Undergrad GPA: After conversion, 3.75/4.0: Econ 4.0/4.0, math 3.7/4.0

GRE: 790Q, 530V, 5.5 AW
Math Courses: Calc I,II, math major stream (mms) Calc III, mms probability, statistics, mms abstract algebra, mms differential equations, mms real analysis I, mms real analysis II, stochastic models in operations research
Econ Courses: Standard package in the 300/400 levels, MA mathematical econ, MA Financial Theory, MA financial derivatives, MA Cost benefit analysis.
Letters of Recommendation: 1 Johns Hopkins, 1 Boston U, and one fairly extensively published and quite influential finance prof. Funny, his alma mater is not one anyone would think would be big, but he's made a name for himself, at least so he says.

Research Experience: RA for one term.

Teaching Experience: private tutoring for 7 years.

Research Interests: Financial Economics, Micro

SOP: Standard.

Other: Male, 21 years, applying to Ph.Ds just for a larf, but figures he's destined for a master's for now, and has Queen's as a backup.

Applying to: Ph.D: Northwestern, UCSD, Cornell, Penn; M.A: LSE, UBC, Queen's.

Concerns:
Math Grades. I didn't have pre-reqs to do the mms stuff, and I suffered a bit with it.

dr_Shpak
12-27-2007, 03:48 PM
Type of Undergrad and Grad.: Best University in my country

Undergrad GPA: 4.0/5.0 (economics)
Graduate GPA: 4.8/5.0 (inf. technology and math) Graduated the best student of 100

GRE: 790Q, 350V, 3.0 AW :hmm:

Math Courses: 8 different (best student in all of them)

Econ Courses: not as good as math :(

Letters of Recommendation: not American. 1. from my dean 2. my research adviser (may be known) 3. Professor I co-authored paper with

Research Experience: 6 years full-time, in my university, field studies...
co-authored 4 papers and 2 course materials (textbooks). ( all about real estate)

Teaching Experience: tutoring for 5 years, and TA 2 years

Research Interests: Real estate, Urban economics, Developing

SOP: Standard.

Other: Female, 21 years.

Applying to: Ph.D: from Harvard......... to Temple (Sum= 18 ) :2cents:

Concerns:
Undergrade Grades. Verbal GRE

ICECOLDECON
12-31-2007, 02:49 AM
School: Florida State (UG) University of South Florida (Grad)
Major: Economics and Geography (UG) Economics (Grad)
GPA: 3.67 (UG) 4.00 (Grad)
GRE: 760q 520v 5.5AWA
Courses: At Fl State
Int. Micro A
Int. Macro A
Econometrics B+
Game Theory A
Math Econ A-
Economics of State Govt B+
Urban Economics A
Environmental Economics A
Principles Micro Honors B+
Principles of Macro A

Calc I Tested out of
Calc II Honors A
Calc III (F...attendence problem.....retook the class and got an A)
Linear Algebra F......missed second midterm
Probability Theory A-

At USF

Regulation/Antitrust A+ (Fl State did not give A+....at USF its optional if a prof wants to use it)
Math Economics A
Law and Economics A
Bridge to Abstract Mathematics A+

This semesters grades (not included in my applications)

Econometrics I A-
Development A-
Economics of Health A
Differential Eqn A

Spring Classes

Micro I
Aggregate Economics (Uses the Swedish guy's book)
Econometrics II
Essentials of Statistics (Basically Undergrad Math Stat at USF)

Summer Classes

Linear Algebra
History of Economic Thought

Research: None.....I do serve as a ta for principles of micro
LOR: 1 letter is excellent.....the others should be good but not great
Interests: Industrial Organization, Public Economics, Applied Micro
Schools:
Michigan State
Oregon
Connecticut
Florida State
Colorado
My Concerns:
Two undergraduate F's and lack of analysis classes.......I may be willing to spend an extra yr at USF to rectify this if Im not pleased with my offers. (Would take analysis, a grad stat class, Econometrics III, and Micro II in the fall if this is the case)......I may also retake my GRE next yr to raise quant...although Im happy with my AWA score and have heard people say that anything 760 and above is okay......but then again that may be outdated information.

Anyhoo, Im hoping to buy into the theory that if I go to a mediocre program and excel Ill be in good shape.

Goals: Professor at a research institution would be nice....but I wouldnt mind a position at a Liberal Arts college or a Bachelors/Masters university. I enjoy the teaching aspect so that wouldnt bog me down.

ICECOLDECON
12-31-2007, 02:50 AM
School: Florida State (UG) University of South Florida (Grad)
Major: Economics and Geography (UG) Economics (Grad)
GPA: 3.67 (UG) 4.00 (Grad)
GRE: 760q 520v 5.5AWA
Courses: At Fl State
Int. Micro A
Int. Macro A
Econometrics B+
Game Theory A
Math Econ A-
Economics of State Govt B+
Urban Economics A
Environmental Economics A
Principles Micro Honors B+
Principles of Macro A

Calc I Tested out of
Calc II Honors A
Calc III (F...attendence problem.....retook the class and got an A)
Linear Algebra F......missed second midterm
Probability Theory A-

At USF

Regulation/Antitrust A+ (Fl State did not give A+....at USF its optional if a prof wants to use it)
Math Economics A
Law and Economics A
Bridge to Abstract Mathematics A+

This semesters grades (not included in my applications)

Econometrics I A-
Development A-
Economics of Health A
Differential Eqn A

Spring Classes

Micro I
Aggregate Economics (Uses the Swedish guy's book)
Econometrics II
Essentials of Statistics (Basically Undergrad Math Stat at USF)

Summer Classes

Linear Algebra
History of Economic Thought

Research: None.....I do serve as a ta for principles of micro
LOR: 1 letter is excellent.....the others should be good but not great
Interests: Industrial Organization, Public Economics, Applied Micro
Schools:
Michigan State
Oregon
Connecticut
Florida State
Colorado
My Concerns:
Two undergraduate F's and lack of analysis classes.......I may be willing to spend an extra yr at USF to rectify this if Im not pleased with my offers. (Would take analysis, a grad stat class, Econometrics III, and Micro II in the fall if this is the case)......I may also retake my GRE next yr to raise quant...although Im happy with my AWA score and have heard people say that anything 760 and above is okay......but then again that may be outdated information.

Anyhoo, Im hoping to buy into the theory that if I go to a mediocre program and excel Ill be in good shape.

Goals: Professor at a research institution would be nice....but I wouldnt mind a position at a Liberal Arts college or a Bachelors/Masters university. I enjoy the teaching aspect so that wouldnt bog me down.

ICECOLDECON
12-31-2007, 02:52 AM
Didnt mean to double post...sorry.....not sure how to delete

Antonio
12-31-2007, 10:52 AM
Sorry for the delay!!!!
Italian, 22 years old...handsome!

GRE 800/540/2.5 (F..K!!!!)
TOEFL 107/120 (29R, 27W, 24S, 27L)
GMAT 640/800 + 3.5/6 (I know it does not matter)

Undergraduate
University of Napoli "Federico II" (TOP 10 in Italy)
Major: Economics
GPA: 28.12/30. Final mark: 110/110 magna cum laude (with high distinction).
Courses: Micro 28/30, Macro 24/30, Mathematical Methods (calculus and linear algebra more or less) 22/30, Stistics I 27/30, Statistics II 30/30, Econometrics 30/30, History of Economic Thought I and II 30/30, Public Economics 29/30, Mathematics for Economics (diff. equation, static and dynamic optimization) 27/30, Macroeconomic Policy 28/30 and Economic History 30/30.

Graduate
Joint degree: University of Pisa (TOP 30 in Italy) + Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies (School of Excellence for getting in which you need to win a public and highly selective competition and you need to have a Graduate GPA of at least 27/30 and no grades lesser than 24/30...but you get a FULL scholarship:2cents:).
GPA: 30/30. Final mark (expected) 110/100 magna cum laude (with high distinction).
Courses: Adv. Micro, Adv. Macro, Adv. Econometrics I and II, Advanced Statistics, Financial Economics, Adv. Industrial Economics, Theory of Choice under Uncertainty, Advanced Mathematics for Economics, Experimental Economics, Public Gooods and Public Choice, Economics of Naturale Reources all of them with 30/30; plus Game Theory 28/30 (Damn it!).

SOP good, I think.

VISITING POSITIONS/EXPERIENCE
Summer School at LSE in Industrial Organization and Competition Policy, final grade A+:D

Visiting student at University of Southampton (UK), enrolled in the following courses (I am waiting for final examination):
- Generalised linear models (MSc in Statistics)
- Applied Econometrics (Bachelor in Economics)
- Principles of Corporate Finance (Master in Economics and Finance)
- Advanced Topics in Macroeconomics (PhD course)

Visiting researcher at Ecole Normale Superieure (Paris), supervisor: Philippe Jehiel.

TA one semester, Undergraduate Micro, with funds!!!:tup:

Research my bahelor thesis on tax Evasion (which I sent as a writing sample); one discussion paper on Auctions and Takeovers; my master thesis that I'll write in Paris with Jehiel on Auctions and IO.

LORS
A lot of them: two were fixed while the others changed with respect to the university. The two fixed are from my academic tutor at Sant'Anna School (PhD at Essex) and from my LSE teacher (PhD at Yale). I expect the first one to be very very strong and the second at least very good.
The others are from:
- my undergraduate advisor at Napoli (PhD at Napoli), very strong.
- another professor from Napoli (PhD at Oxford), very strong.
- a math prof. from Napoli who is the dean of the Economics School, I believe strong.
- an Econometric Professor from Pisa who has some papers on Econometrica[clap], I hope good.
- my Corporate Finance Professor at Southampton, I believe very strong.

APPLYING TO MIT, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, NYU, UCSD, Berkeley, Brown, Duke, Chicago, BU, BC, Northwestern, Stanford, UPENN.

Scholarships and Awards
- Two years full scholarship and housing in the Sant'Anna School Campus.
- Teaching Assistantship.
- Scholarship as exchange student (ERASMUS).

Interests
Micro, game theory, Auctions, IO, Contract Theory and Mechanism Design, Applied Metrics.

Concerns
My low writing score in the GRE; I have some concernes about some of my LORS; the School I picked are ver very selective.

GOAL The Nobel Prize...

That's all...I just have to wait like everyone.

GOOD LUCK TO ALL,

Anto.

filroz
01-01-2008, 08:35 PM
GRE 800/510/3.5
TOEFL 112/120 (30R, 28W, 24S, 30L)

Undergraduate Charles University in Prague, best school in my country, top in central Europe, I guess
1) econ BA, GPA 2.8
2) math BA, GPA 2.45 (beat that :devil:)

Graduate Charles University econ, 3.75

VISITING POSITIONS/EXPERIENCE
-Summer School at LSE in Advanced Macro, (A)
-Visiting student (ERASMUS) at University of Paris I Pantheon-Sorbonne (FRA), GPA cca 3.8

Research I hope strong, internship in Czech central bank, one my paper awarded and I was offered to publish it in Czech impacted journal, but I still want to work on it a bit
LORS should be strong, one from thesis advisor, he promised to write it very strongly, but I am am afraid he lost some addresses where to send it :doh:, second from senior guy in nation bank, last from another prof. All know me well and for some years... but they are not very know internationally
APPLYING TO reaches: Columbia, Michigan, Cornell, Maryland, UNC, BU, BC, JHU, Rutgers, Georgetown, LSE masters, Ox mphil,
safeties: Charles U, Cerge
Scholarships and Awards
- Scholarship as exchange student (ERASMUS)
- Czech Economic Association Young economist 2007, third prize (paper sent as writing sample)
Interests macro (esp. monetary policy), theory, methodology & history of thought
Concerns obviously low undergrad GPA (lowest here?) I explained it in my SOP (I was doing two separate programs at the time, which was the only was how to study both, blablabla, but the fact is, that after I finished my math degree my econ grad GPA is good).
GOAL Ideally go back and work at czech national bank and teach at my alma mater. but who knows...
The majority of the schools are reaches, but I am offered place in the bank (while doing phd here) which I prefer to lets say top60 programs, so if I am rejected life will go on...
good luck everybody :clover:

lj322
01-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Type of Undergrad: NYU
Undergrad GPA: 3.4/4.0
Major: Double in Math and Econ
GRE: 780Q, 640V, 4.5 AW
Math Courses: Calc II-III (A-,B), Diff Eq (C), Linear Algebra (A-), Discrete Math (B-), Vector Analysis (C), Abstract Algebra (B-), Number Theory (B), Math Modeling (A), Real Analysis (A), Transformatio & Geometries (A-)
Econ Courses: Macro, Micro (A, B), Int Macro, Int Micro (B+, A), Statistics (B+), Money & Banking (B+), International Econ (B+), Global Economy (B) Labor Econ (A-), Experimental Econ (A)
Letters of Recommendation: 2 math professors (real analysis and math modeling) 2 Econ Instructors (former Phd students) and 1 from work (economist who taught at Columbia and NYU)
Research Experience: Sadly, none. NYU is too big of a school.
Teaching Experience: Grader for Linear Algebra
Research Interests: Using experimental economics to examine international trade patterns.
SOP: Pretty solid, nicely written (maybe a bit gushy) and reviewed by professor. Tried to show that I'm damn motivated and bright.
Other: Female, 23 - Worked in consulting for 1.5 years.

Weaknesses: Obviously, my up and down math grades that are all over the place. Overall, low GPA, but I tried adding in the SOP that I worked long hours and commuted to pay for tuition, plus I had a bad injury. I am proud of what I accomplished given what I had. Also, I have no research experience and I worked in economic/litigations consulting for a 1.5 years before applying.

Applying to: I'm going for do-or-die. I realize I may not get into anything...
Columbia, U Mich, LSE, Johns Hopkins, MIT, NYU (Please take me alma matter!!!), Boston College, Cornell, Boston U, Brown U, Rutgers, UBC.

Good luck to everyone!!!

crutchboy3
01-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Undergrad: Top 20 Private US University
Undergrad GPA: 3.77/4.0
Major: Double Major in Honors Mathematics and Economics
GRE: 800Q, 600V, 5.0 AW
Math Courses: Honors Calculus I-IV (A,A,A,A), Honors Linear Algebra I-II (B+,A-), Intro to Probability (A), Honors Algebra III (A), Honors Analysis I (A-), Graduate Topology I (A-), Graduate Optimization (A), Galois Theory (B+), Measure Theory (B), Functional Analysis (B+), Number Theory (A)
Econ Courses: Principles of Micro/Macro (A,A), Intermediate Micro/Macro (A,A), Econometrics (A), Game Theory (A), Graduate Micro I (A), Graduate Probability and Stats (A)
Letters of Recommendation: 3 from economists, 2 well known and one younger less well knonw professor
Research Experience: Summer Mathematics REU at William and Mary, RA for professor for past 2 years, Summer Fellowship for Undergrad Thesis work, Undergraduate Thesis (Theory Paper)
Teaching Experience: TA for intermediate micro
Research Interests: Micro theory and game theory, specifically mechanism design

Weaknesses: A bit low on some math grades, but these are all in graduate level courses, and the B's came while studying abroad in a rigorous math program in Hungary.

Applying to: Upenn, Caltech, Wisconsin, Yale, Columbia, Duke, Chicago, Northwestern, Harvard, MIT, Princeton, NYU, Stanford, Illinois

sunny58
01-11-2008, 01:51 AM
School: top 50 (public university)
GPA: 3.59 cum, 4.0 major
GRE: 770q 590v, 5 AWA

Courses: standard econ courses (all A's), as for math: calc I (A), calc II (A), calc III (A), linear algebra (A), probabiltiy theory (A), mathematical statistics (A)...that's it!
Teaching: taught english abroad a little bit, while this wasnt my primary job I filled in spots at universities where they needed the help.
Research/RA: currently work at a thinktank and have co-authored 3 papers so far during my time here in applied econ/health/labor econ. have made presentations at conferences too, but that doesn't seem to help much...
LOR: I'd say two are very strong but am a little unsure about the third one. a little bit nervous about that!
Interests: applied micro, development, labor
Schools: BU, wisconsin (econ and ag econ), university of washington, ucla, berkeley, michigan and penn state.

My Concerns: I'm not too confident I'll get into anywhere because after I have read some of the messages on this board, I feel like my math background is pretty inadequate. I also feel like my GRE's arent necessarily stellar compared to some people on here... Biggest fear is that I'll get into somewhere without funding--what a tease.

iskonomist
01-13-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm probably this year's class goat (primarily because of my GRE quanti score), but what the heck, I'm posting anyway. If I get an admit, I'd be (extremely) happy to report back to the group.

GRE 730/590/5.0
digression-->I took the GRE late in November; there was no chance for me to study and retake to improve my score, so I'm hoping against hope with a 730quanti score. Also, I'm a Fulbright nominee (and thus, with guaranteed funding) so I'm really hoping adcoms won't throw my application straight to the bin in the first round (or in all the elimination rounds for that matter.)

TOEFL 116/120 (30R, 30W, 28S, 28L)

Undergraduate
University of the Philippines (Top in my country)
GPA: hard to convert; cum laude (with honors)
Courses: All US standard economics courses

Graduate
University of the Philippines
Major: Economics (with MA degree; currently PhD candidate)
GPA: hard to convert; near 4.0 if converted
Courses: (All A's) Advanced Micro I, II, III, Adv. Macro I, II, III, Adv. Stat, Econometrics I, Adv. Math Eco, Public Eco I, II, International Eco I, II, Monetary Eco, Industrial Organization,

Math Calc I, II, III, Linear Algebra, one semester stat,

SOP pretty good and honest

TA - teaching fellowship,one semester, graduate microeconomics and graduate applied microeconomics

Research two years fulltime in top government thinktank; one summer in congress as an undergrad

Publication one in a refereed journal in my country (top national journal)

LORS
2 excellent, 1 great (from professors who are graduates of Yale, Northwestern and Standford)

Scholarships and Awards
- Best undergrad thesis (university and national level)
- Two years full scholarship (for PhD studies)
- One semester teaching fellowship

Interests
Economics of institutions

Other guy 24 years old.

Concerns
Obviously, my low GRE quanti and weak math background

APPLYING TO Berkeley (as a lottery ticket), Maryland, UMich, UWash, George Mason ++

GOAL any decent (top 100) US university please!!

sam1982
01-14-2008, 09:01 PM
GRE: 800Q 720V 4.5AW(doh) (2nd Attempt)

Undergrad: Good but not brilliant research university
High 1st Class Degree
All Maths and Econ Courses 1st in 12/14 including all maths
2nd in class

Math: Max possible with an econ degree

SOP: I suspect pretty lame

Experience: Two years as government economist

Interests: Growth, Development, Trade

Applied: Brown, Columbia, Harvard, Oxford, NYU

Concerns: No masters, middle ranking university, applied only to a few scools all of which are pretty competetive,

topper85
01-15-2008, 08:57 PM
School: University of California- Davis
Major: Economics and Applied Mathematics
GPA: 3.30
GRE: 760q 670v 6.0AWA
Courses:
Intermediate Macroeconomics: A+
Intermediate Microeconomics: A-
International Macroeconomics: A
International Microeconomics: A-
Public Finance: A
Econometrics: B+
Intro to Graduate Macroeconomics: A+
etc. etc.

3 Quarters Multivariable Calc: B, C+, B
Linear Algebra: C+
Differential Equations: C+
Advanced Linear Algebra: B
Nonlinear Differential Equations and Chaos: A
Real Analysis: B, C
Optimization: A
Numerical Analysis: B+
Commutative Algebra: B+
Combinatorics: B

Extensive use of C Programming, MATLAB and MAPLE

Teaching Experience: Tutor in macro/micro economics, SAT/GRE Teacher for test preparation company
Research: Built a Market Research Model using econometrics in summer 06'
LOR: Hopefully all great, 2 Econ (Berkeley, UCD), 1 Math (U Chicago)
Interests: Macroeconomics, International Trade
Schools:
Brown
U Michigan
Johns Hopkins
U Maryland College Park
Duke
Boston U
UC Davis
Georgetown
ASU
USC
Purdue
Penn State

My Concerns:
Not enough research experience. Lackluster early math grades (I was terrible at math when I embarked down this road), but hopefully made up for by success in my later courses.

Goals: Consultant or banking industry, followed by lecturer at any university after my tenure in the private sector.

wcd123
01-16-2008, 04:00 AM
School: Top 30 private research university
GPA: 3.97
GRE: 800 Q, 510 V, 6 AWA
Econ: Intermediate Micro/Macro, Econometrics, Game Theory, Public Economics, Math for Economists (graduate) and a bunch more-- all A's
Math: Calc I-III (A's), Linear Algebra (A), Probability and Statistics (A), Intro to Proof Writing (A), Real Analysis (in progress), Differential Equations (in progress)

Research: 1 year RA for prof in my field of interest, Thesis paper
Interests: Public Finance

LOR: 2 senior well known, 1 junior

Weaknesses: no real analysis, got started late on math.

Schools: MIT, Berkeley, Chicago, Michigan, Wisconsin, Duke, Columbia, Brown, Stanford, Maryland, and a few more

486hunter
01-18-2008, 02:13 AM
I'm applying to PhD in Public Policy schools but for a very econ-focused course of study. Have nowhere else to post so here goes....

School: top 10-15 national university (US)
GPA: 3.72 (3.95 last 2 yrs)
Econ GPA: 3.90
GRE: 740 Q, 660 V, 5.5 AWA
Econ Courses: Intermediate Micro/Macro, Econometrics + a dozen more
Math Courses: Calc, Stats (2 semesters), Linear Algebra, Multivariate Calc

Terminal MA in Economics (top-10 department)
Plus additional graduate coursework in Advanced Econometrics at top-25 department (course grade: A)

Research: 2 yrs of research for well-known economic & social policy institute

Other: 4 publications in journals in related field + several more working papers & co-author on a number of technical reports. Extensive experience w/ applied research/applied econometrics

Schools: Berkeley (Goldman), UChicago (Harris), Princeton (WWS), Harvard (KSG), UMaryland, Duke (Sanford), Carnegie Mellon (Econ & Public Policy)

Ibn Abbas
01-18-2008, 02:34 AM
Wrong thread..sorry.

some_guy
01-20-2008, 07:03 AM
Sorry, I double posted. How do you delete a post?

some_guy
01-20-2008, 07:05 AM
n/m...

briggsd_54
01-22-2008, 05:34 AM
Undergrad: Private US University
Undergrad GPA: 3.99/4.0
GRE: 800Q, 510V, 5.0 AW
Math Courses: Calculus I-III (A), Linear Algebra (A), Statistics (A), Advanced Stats (A), Diff Eq. (A)
Econ Courses: Principles of Micro/Macro (A,A), Intermediate Micro/Macro (A,A), Econometrics (A), Industrial Organization (A), International (A)
Teaching Experience: TA for principles and intermediate micro
Research Interests: Industrial Organization

Applying to: Caltech, Wisconsin, Yale, Arizona, Brown, Washington U, Vanderbilt, North Carolina, Virginia, Purdue, Boston College, Texas A&M

canecon
01-26-2008, 07:03 AM
School: UBC
Major: Econ (Hons)
GPA: 3.5 (3.98 upper-econ, 3.98 math (excluding failed calc 1))
GRE: 800q 480v 5.0 AWA (despite the awful verbal I am native English speaker / English background)
Courses:
Econ:Hon micro/macro I (A+'s) Game Theory (Hon) A, Hon Macro II A+, + intro metrics I/II (A+) + lots electives (mostly A+)
Math: Calc 1 (F first time then A), Calc 2, linear, multivariable, ODE's, probability(calc based), intro proof A+'s intro analysis A
Now Taking: Honours Thesis, Advanced Macro, Econometrics
Research: Thesis
LOR: 3 Assistant Profs, I say mediocre since I had no special relationship, just took their classes.
Interests: Macro, Int trade/finance/development.
Schools:
Decided to apply only for Masters:
LSE, UCL, Oxford, Cambridge, Warwick, UPF, UBC, Toronto, Queens, UWO, Stockholm.

My Concerns:
First year really sucked, second year was average. Only have 1.5 years of good grades.

Goals: Not sure if a PhD is right for me, thats why im going for Masters. Would like to do work that I feel is really making an impact, which is why I could see myself working for an int'l organization/central bank or even private sector. Academia has not been ruled out though.

bertthepuppy
01-29-2008, 10:34 PM
School: GWU, grad classes at Univ Pittsburgh
Major: Econ
GPA: 3.6 (3.9 upper-econ)
GRE: 790q 500v 5.5 AWA
Courses:
Econ: Micro, Macro, Money & Banking, Econometrics, Trade, Int'l Finance, Public Finance, Econ of the EU, thesis prosem (all A's)
Math: Calc 1 & 2 (A) Calc 3 (A-) Lin Algebra (A-) Real Analysis (A) Multivariate Analysis (A), 2 additional prob and stat classes (A, A-)
Research: Thesis, undergrad Research Assistantship with economist, currently grad research assistant and T.A. in public policy dept for a macro economist, 3 years of research experience
LOR: professor I currently work with, and two profs from undergrad including thesis advisor...strong letters and each known in their respective fields, but only one of their fields is the same as mine
Teaching: T.A. for Econ for Public Affairs and Macroeconomics in Public Policy dept.
Interests: Micro, labor
Schools:
Applied to: Wisconsin-Madison, Michigan, Ohio Sate, Texas-Austin, Georgetown, Maryland, UNC, Duke, Iowa, Cornell, Colorado-Boulder, Illinois-UC

My Concerns:
Not as much math background as most other people

Goals: ya know, be an Economist...

econphp06
01-30-2008, 07:26 AM
International Student

GPA: 3.23 Major GPA:3.72 (%7-8 at my department)

GRE: 800Q-330V-4.0 AWA

Econ Courses: Microeconomics Theory, Macroeconomics Theory, Public Finance, Econometrics, Financial Markets and Institutions

Math Courses: Calculus I-II, Statistics I-II, Math for Econ I-II, Operations Research, Decision Support Systems, Differential Equations, Linear Algebra

Other Courses :Risk Management, Corporate Finance, Portfolio Management, Investment Analaysis

References: One from a famous person( good one), One is a professor that I took Operations Research(excellent one), one is head of economics departmen(a good one)

Schools:
University of Virginia
Purdue University
University of Houston
North Carolina State University
Washington State University
Boston College
CEMFI (MA)
Carlos III (MA)

Letsgowings20
01-30-2008, 09:22 PM
Undergrad school: Top Master's Degree Granting US college

Majors: Math and Econ
GPA: 3.81 (overall, similar for math and econ). 3.95 overall past four semesters

GRE: 780 math, 530 verbal, 5.0 writing

Econ courses: Intermediate Micro (A-) and Macro (A), Econometrics (A-), Advanced Econometrics (A), Consulting (A), Natural Resource (A), Labor (A-), History of Thought (B), Capstone Course (A), Game Theory (A)

Math courses: Calc 1-3 (A, A, A-), Linear Algebra (B), Computers and Numerical Algorithms (A), Intro to Proofs (Discrete Math) (A), Optimization (A-), Nonlinear Dynamics (A), Mathematical Game Theory (Independent Study) (A), Abstract Algebra (A)

Currently Taking: Abstract Algebra 2, Advanced Calc (real analysis), Evolutionary Systems, honors thesis (math), research project (econ)

References: 2 math, 2 econ. None of them are well-known, but all of them know me pretty well.

Research: First author of a forthcoming paper in a mid-tier mathmatics (dynamical systems) journal. Second author of a paper to be sent to a mid/upper tier mathematics (math bio) journal. Working paper with an econ faculty member on sports econ.

Teaching: TA for two semesters of intro econ classes (1 micro, 1 macro).

Interests: Game Theory, Dynamical Systems, Ecological economics, Natural Resource Economics.

Schools: MIT, Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Chicago, Upenn, Brown, Cornell, UVA, Duke, Johns Hopkins, George Mason

My concerns: My reference letters aren't from well known faculty.

Ecocentric
01-31-2008, 06:40 AM
School: International (2006)
Major: Electrical Engineering
GPA: 3.9/4 (WES)
GRE: 780q 640v 3.5 AWA
Courses:
Econ: none
Math: Extensive engineering math..matrices, probablility & statistics, difference eqns, complex variables, functions limits and continuity, ODEs, PDEs, applications of ODEs and PDEs, harmonic analysis, wavelets, neural networks, fuzzy logic, random variables and stochastic processes, monte carlo methods, functional analyisis
Research:1 Applied Math Paper published, 3 months at public sector R&D center.. both unrelated to economics.
LOR: Math Prof, Physics Prof , Electrical Engg Prof
Teaching: none
Interests: Development, Econometrics

Schools: Only for Master's
Applied to: LSE, NYU, Duke, Michigan, UIUC, Boston University

My Concerns:
Zero Econ courses

Goals: explore the field, find my interests, become a strong PhD candidate

Ecocentric
01-31-2008, 06:42 AM
sorry.. posted my profile again.

jbs02002
01-31-2008, 07:34 AM
-BA Econ at Pomona College
-3.9 GPA (magna cum laude, phi beta kappa, award for best econ student)
-All As in econ classes (includes econometrics, game theory, advanced micro, advanced macro)
-Calc I-III, vector calc, linear algebra (B+), diff eq
-800Q/680V/5.5AWA GRE
-co-authored publication in Journal of Wealth Management (****** journal)
-Amazing LORs (going to a LAC I got to be good friends with my professors, seems like they said I was the best in years)
-2 years in econ consulting at CRA International
-Applied to Harvard, MIT, Princeton, Yale, Columbia, Berkeley, Stanford, Northwestern, UCLA, UCSD, Minnesota
-Got into Minnesota with $, waiting to hear from the rest

mysherona
01-31-2008, 10:59 AM
International applicant
- Undergrad degree: Econ
- Master's degree: Math
- GRE: Q800 V760 A6.0
- Schools:
Harvard
MIT
Stanford
Chicago
Princeton
Yale
Northwestern
Columbia
NYU
Penn
Berkeley
UCLA
UCSD
Brown
Georgetown
Duke
LSE
Oxford
Cambridge
Toulouse

econ08
01-31-2008, 08:05 PM
Type of Undergrad: Top 5 US college
Undergrad GPA: overall 3.9 dual degrees in econ and math
GRE: Q 800/ V 560 / AWA 3.5 (Auchh!)
Completed Math Courses: All A’s AP Cal, Multi Cal, ODE, PDE, Matrix Algebra, Linear Algebra (proof based), Theory of Probability (cal based), Real Analysis, and Complex Analysis
Completed Econ Courses: intro econ(A), micro I (A), micro II (B+), macro analysis (A) (I think they are intermediate level), money and banking (A), development econ (A), financial econ (A+), game theory (A), international econ (A), optimization (covered some optimal control theory) (A+), econ stat (A), intro to econometric (A), applied econometrics (A-), and adv econometric (A+) (multinomial probit, tobit, panel data and all the heteroskadisticity stuff), and grad micro phd-core (A)
Other Courses: Stochastic Modeling (A), Optimization (linear and dynamic optimization) (A), programming class (JAVA) (A), finance (A), grad level optimization (A-).
Letters of Recommendation: I expect a good LOR from the well-known Prof. I have been RAing for, other two from the classes that I did well in, and the other one from my adviser.
Research Experience: an RA for two summers and this year, honors thesis (in progress)
Teaching Experience: none (grader for proof-based linear algebra class, if that counts)
Research Interests: financial econ and monetary econ
Schools: most of them are in top 15

My concerns: 3.5 AWA

Nymaj
02-01-2008, 04:47 PM
Type of Undergrad: Big Ten School
Undergrad GPA: overall 3.0 degree in Econ
Type of Grad: mid size - Liberal Arts school - terminal master econ program
Grad GPA: 3.9
GRE: Q 770/ V 410 / AWA 5.5
Completed Math Courses: Calc 1-2, Multivariate Calc, Diff Eq, Stats, Prob, Real Analysis
Completed Econ Courses:Micro, macro, metrics and many others
Letters of Recommendation: Strong LOR's from two AEA Summer program prof.and two strong LOR from my home university
Research Experience: One research project with professor from a Big Ten school and also with the AEA Summer Program. Currently working on research project.
Teaching Experience: Teach Principles of macro and also TA for advance micro and metrics
Research Interests: Alot of stuff
Schools:
Michigan
Cornell
Brown
Duke
Maryland
Texas at Austin
Iowa
Texas A&M
Boston College
Rice
Houston
SMU
My concerns: Undergrad GPA, I have strong LOR so maybe that may help

trentnin
02-01-2008, 07:07 PM
Economics with math minor
School: A university in east asia (first two years)
A well-known state school in the U.S. (the rest of my undergraduate)
GPA: 3.64/4.0 (the first two years)
3.96/4.0 (in the U.S.)
Graduated in last December with Summa Cum Laude and PBK
GRE: 650/800/3.5
Econ Courses: three courses in econometrics, Game Theory, Intermediate Micro and Macro, and other courses (all A's except A- on Game theory)
Math Courses: Linear Algebra, ODE, Foundation of Math, Real analysis, Measure theory, Functional Analysis, Topology, Linear Programming, Probability, Math Stat (all A's)
Experience: TA for one semester, Honors thesis
LOR: three econ professors in my u.s. school. Only one of them is fairly well-known. Supposedly, they are very strong. One of the professors showed me his letter for me, and it was unbelievably amazing. One of the other professors told me that he would write a glowing praise for me in his letter.
Schools I applied to: TOP 5 schools + HBS and Stanford GSB econ + a coulple of others.

Equilibrium
02-02-2008, 04:02 AM
Type of Undergrad: Top 10-20 US Public School, Large research institution, with top 30 PhD program.
Undergrad GPA: 3.62 overall, 3.81 Econ, 3.4 within Math minor
Grad: None
GRE: 780Q/600V/5.5
Math Courses: Calc I-IV(2 semesters multivariable), Linear Algebra, Fundamental Mathematics(intro proof), Stats and Probability, Real Analysis
Econ Courses: Intermediate Micro/Macro, 2 semesters Econ Stats, Econometrics, Development Econ, International Econ, Public Finance, Govt Regulation of Econ Activity
Letters of Recommendation: 2 Econ, 1 Math, all very strong, mix of well known and not really known, older, younger. all PhDs at very good schools for their fields.
Experience: extensive independent research paper under faculty supervision(one of my LOR), garnered nomination for graduation with distinction within economics

Schools Applied to: Not many, we'll say 3-5+, for personal reasons I could not commit to moving anywhere to go to school until it was way late in the game.

Would like some feedback here on whether I should take any possible spot in Canadian MA program(applied to 2 of top 4) and reapply another year, or go ahead and take a spot in the top 30 program I am fairly sure I will get into because of my LOR. My worry is that while an MA will be valuable, I may not actually care too much about the difference in placement from say top 15 school vs the top 30 school, especially considering I would probably re-apply to the same top 30 school again after a year long MA program. This will of course also depend on what my real chances of getting into say a top 5 if I did a M.A. or just waited a year and re-applied without anything more than maybe a few classes more in math or grad econ without actually graduating in May.

Worries: I don't really subscribe to putting so much emphasis on any one point of a profile, but I don't really have nearly much of a clue of what my chances would be at tougher schools to get into. Need help and or encouragement in that regard.

Ruskie
02-02-2008, 11:45 PM
Type of Undergrad: WUStL
Undergrad GPA: 3.57 Overall, 3.67 Econ
Grad: None
GRE: 780Q/660V/4.5A
Math Courses: Calc 1-3, Linear Algebra, Diff Eq, Statisticsx2, Real Analysis
Econ Courses: Intermediate Micro/Macro, Game Theory, Development Economics, Hierarchy and Organization (Theory of the firm), Open Economy Macro, Mathematical Optimization (used M-W-G), Grad level Probability and Statistics, Grad level Micro (used M-W-G), maybe another few less rigorous ones...
Letters of Recommendation: Two from profs at school - an established Harvard Phd and a younger Yale Phd, both knew me pretty well and had taught the grad level classes I listed above. The other was from my boss (Phd Harvard) at the econ consulting firm I've been working at for the past year and a half. I suspect he's well known in the econ consulting world, but not much outside of it.
Experience: 1.5 years econ consulting. Written some research papers, which I wrote about in my SOP, but nothing published.

Schools Applied to: Harvard, NYU, Columbia, Stanford, Berkeley, UCLA, UCSD, Brown, Caltech, Texas - Austin

Worries: I've been admitted to Austin and promised funding well earlier than I really should have so I don't have any real worries other than that my recommenders must have said I can lay golden eggs or something. I wanted to put up my profile as encouragement to anyone with blemishes on their profile. Hell, you could pick on every part of my application, but somehow Austin not only wants me, but wants to give me money. Just want to say if it can happen for me, it can most definitely happen for you.

TruDog
02-03-2008, 01:53 AM
Ruskie: Не знаю, о чем ты - по-моему у тебя профайл один из лучших на форуме. Слабоватый GPA, но зато ты закончил один из лучших универов США (с grad. курсами!), а это гораздо важнее. К тому же самое главное - это отличные рекомендации, которые у тебя есть наверняка. Так что ничего удиветельного в том, что тебя приняли в Texas-Austin нет =))

Huh???

pevdoki1
02-03-2008, 01:56 AM
I was just fooling around, TruDog - Ruskie means Russian, so I replied to his message in Russian. I got a warning for it, however, so better watch myself next time!

Translation: "The GPA might be a bit weak, but you graduated from one of the best unis in the U.S. (with grad courses!), which is more important. And the most crucial thing is to have great recommendations, which you probably do. So there's nothing surprising about your Texas-Austin acceptance."

kuejai
02-03-2008, 09:25 PM
Type of Undergrad: Public university in US, not a top school
Undergrad GPA: 3.98
Majors : Econ:business analysis, Finance, and math minor

GRE: Q 800/ V 370 / AWA 4
Completed Math Courses: Calc 1-3, Linear Alg, Real Analysis
Letters of Recommendation: from my profs, which should be good, but they are not well known
Research Experience: Just thesis for my classes. Teaching Experience: Totor intro to stat
Research Interests: developmental econ, and macro
Schools:
Harvard
Johns Hopkins
U of Minn
U of Ill
Vanderbilt Phd
Vanderbilt GPED
UBC
Boston college
Iowa State
Concern: Super low verbal and writing might kill me. Doesn't have as many econ and math class as others(there's not grad level class for econ offered at my school)

Trapped In an EW Box
02-04-2008, 05:16 AM
Hi Everyone...since I've been "lurking" around this forum, I decided I should probably post some basics as well! Good luck to all :)

Undergrad: Small Liberal Arts (Not Well-Known), Majors: Econ/Poli Sci, Minor: Math, GPA 3.8
Grad (1): British University, Econ MPhil, GPA N/A
Grad (2): Top-Ranked, Poli Sci Masters, GPA 3.8

GRE: 800 (Q), 710 (V), 5.5 AWA

Interests: Theory, IO, Financial Economics, Metrics, Political Economy

Schools: MIT, Stanford, Yale, Harvard, U Chicago, U Virginia, Oxford (DPhil), Oxford (DPhil Financial Economics), Cambridge
Concerns: I didn't really apply for any "safe schools"....:smack:

ephyou
02-05-2008, 01:00 AM
School: top ten us liberal arts '07
Majors: econ, math
GPA: 3.5
GRE: 790q 630v 6.0 aw
Econ: micro, macro, monetary, mthm'cal econ/mtrics
Math: all calc, real & complex analysis, dif-e-q, etc
Research: honors thesis, extended undergrad work, articles at current research position, paper currently under review at academic journal
Positions: econ research assistant as undergrad, government research agency as undergrad, private sector research position currently
LOR: 2 econ professors i worked with, math professor
Teaching: economics ta, econ/math tutor
Interests: monetary, political economy
Schools:
Chicago, Berkeley, Columbia, Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio Sate (admit), UCSD, Boston U, Virginia (admit), Brown, Johns Hopkins
Goals: liberal arts professor

tenkates
02-05-2008, 05:45 PM
School: International, Latin America; top of my country, each year placing a student in top uni
BA: economic tehory
MA: economic tehory
GPA: 8.4/10
9.1/10 (i.e second of my class, first graduated)
GRE: 800q 550v 4.0 aw (does aw matters) :doh:
Econ: all of it
Math: calc, real analysis, measure theory, linear prog, higher algebra
Research: published thesis (school journal)
Positions: working at an economic consultancy as research analyst, before research assittant @ my school
LOR: I guess strong ones; one pretty famous (appears on wikipedia :tup:) from a top 30 school; one from warwick university; one from my school. I took classes with everyoone of them
Teaching: economics ta
Interests: IO Auction and Game T
Schools:
8 top schools, 2 which I really liked (rochester washington@sl)
Goals: researcher
Concerns: waiting is killing me!!!

Poor Hungry Doctor ( Phd)
02-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Hi Guys....it is pretty cool to have somewhere to share the tension of waiting... Good luck to everyone!!

Undergrad: Top Brazilian University - GPA 8.9
One year of undergrad done at UCBerkeley - GPA 3.7, major 3.9

Grad: Same Brazilian University - GPA 8.7 - award for highest GPA at a class of 18 (the class has the top 1 percentile ranked students in the nation, top 15 out of 1500 on the natinal admission exam)

GRE: 800 Q/480 v/4.0 aw
Toefl: 117 out of 120

Math: T.A for undergrad calculus for 2 years, T.A for real analysis/linear algebra and optimization for first year grad students

Research: senior undergrad thesis published in pretty pretigious book in Brazil...all ather authors PHD from top US schools, master thesis plus being R.A since second year undergrad

Letter of rec: who knows...my advisor who I been working for 3 years ( Stanford Phd) other professors of my field of interest ( macro and international econ) who I was top student in the classes and presented my masters research to

Schools where I am applying: Princeton, Harvard, MIT, Stanford, UCBerkeley, Columbia, UCLA, ucsd, NYU, Chicago, Northwestern, Yale, UPENN,

Other: earned the fulbright scholarship for the Phd, so fulbright is applying for 5 of those schools for me and there I am free of charge...Fulbright will pay tuition and give me money for 4 years....

Concern::: what if I dont get in anywhere??????Only applying to top schools...no back up

octavio
02-07-2008, 01:30 AM
Type of Undergrad: Large state university, econ program ranked very low
Undergrad GPA: 4.0
Type of Grad: Currently enrolled in econ masters at a public university
Grad GPA: 4.0 through first semester
GRE: 800Q, 690V, 6.0 AW
Math Courses: Undergrad: Calc 1-4, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Real Analysis; Grad: Topology, Optimization (IP)
Econ Courses: Undergrad: All the standard intro/intermediate, econometrics, electives; Grad: Micro, Macro, Econometrics
Letters of Recommendation: All three are from economists and should be very positive. Nobody famous, that I know of...
Research Experience: Summer RA for econometrics professor, currently an RA for a couple of professors working in applied micro
Teaching Experience: None, except some grading
Research Interests: Applied micro, development, trade
SOP: I don't know...
Other: American male

Applying to: Stanford, Yale, UCSD, Brown, Maryland, Michigan, Berkeley ARE, Wisconsin AAE, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, UC Davis

Goal: Professor at a research university, for now

Concerns: Undergrad university is not well-known, but I don't lose any sleep over it. Mostly just concerned I'll go insane before all the admissions decisions trickle in.

little guy
02-07-2008, 06:32 AM
Type of Undergrad: Fairly good ugrad place w/ top 15 econ phd
Undergrad GPA: 3.82 (4.0 since start of jr year)
Majors : Math and Econ
GRE: 800Q 520 V 4 AWA
Completed Math Courses: Calc 2, 3 (A, B+), Diff Eq (A-), Lin Alg (A-), Prob (A), Theoretical Stat (A), Stat Computing (A), Modern Alg (A), Adv Calc (what is normally called RA) (A), Topology (A)
Completed Econ Courses:Principles 1, 2 (A, A-), Intermediate Micro, Macro (A-, A-), Adv Thry (A-), Metrics (A), Honors Seminar (A), Hnrs Research (A), Behavioral Econ (A), Game Theory (A+), Phd. MicroThry II (A+)
Letters of Recommendation: 4, all should be very good, all know me well. Worked closely w/ 3.
Research Experience: 2 main projects. Thesis may be published in a fairly good journal
Teaching Experience: Created my own freshman seminar on economic paradoxes, Math tutor for a long time too
Research Interests: Micro, either applied or theory (what ever keeps me from working at a real job for 5 more years)
Schools: MIT, Harvard, U Chi, Stanford, Princeton, Berkeley, Yale, Penn, NWU, NYU, UCLA, Columbia, LSE (1 yr EME), Umich, UCSD, Caltech and Phd in Bus Econ at NYU Stern

semischolastic
02-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Type of Undergrad: Small-Medium state school, no econ grad program.
Undergrad GPA: 3.7 (Economics, Information Systems double major)
Type of Grad: Currently enrolled in a MA Econ. program, top 15 school.
Grad GPA: 3.5-ish with a semester to go.
GRE: 770Q, 760V, 6.0 AW
Math Courses: Undergrad: Calculus, Linear Alg., Set Theory. Grad:Taking Real Analysis at the time of admissions. Did not have perfect grades in these. Taking math econ class probably helped make up for it.
Econ Courses: Undergrad: Micro/Macro/Metrics/Electives Grad: Stats, Game Theory, Adv. Micro, PhD Micro (this was probably crucial), Macro, Research Seminar, Econometrics, Math Econ.
Letters of Recommendation: 2 from grad instructors, one of whom I did research for. The other has a reputation for writing strong letters. 3rd is from the dept chair in undergrad.
Research Experience: RA at the Fed for a year, two papers (one completed, one working). The working paper is relatively sophisticated.
Teaching Experience: Tutoring while an undergrad, TA for graduate Urban Econ.
Research Interests: Applied Micro, Public, Urban
SOP: Specialized for each school, naturally. Talked about my past experience, explained my transcript, talked about dissertation topics, faculty I wanted to work with.

Applying to: Chicago, Berkeley, Duke, Davis, Brown, Syracuse, UI Chicago

Concerns: From my admits so far, should have taken a shot at MIT.

jazzcon
02-08-2008, 09:15 PM
PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Econ major at a US state university with top 200 Econ grad program (ie not very strong).
Undergrad GPA: overall GPA: 3.6; econ: 3.9 ; math:3.7.
GRE: 800Q, 520V,AWA 5.5
Math Courses: Calc sequence (A), Differential equations (B+), Linear Algebra (B+), Probability Theory (B), MathEcon w/ S&B (A)
Econ Courses: The basic sequence of things.
Grad classes: MathStats w/ Casella (A), Econometrics sequence (A)
Letters of Recommendation: thesis advisor, econ prof I graded for, 2 Economists from work.
Research Experience: Undergraduate thesis, 2 years RA at the Fed.
Teaching Experience: Grader for undergrad and grad Simon&Blume course
Research Interests: IO, public, political theory.
SOP: didn’t really spend much time on it.
Concerns: Not stellar pedigree. Not great grades. No Analysis.

Schools: UCal, Yale, Chicago, Northwestern, Brown, Michigan, BostonU, Maryland, Virginia(admit), UNC, Duke.

AspiringEconomist
02-09-2008, 07:09 AM
Type of Undergrad: Top 30 US research university
GPA: 3.95
GRE: 800Q/740V/6.0AWA
Math courses: calculus sequence, linear algebra, diff. eq., math stat (A-), abstract algebra intro, math for econ (A-), analysis tutorial.
LORs: economics tenured faculty from my undergrad university
Teaching experience: one sem. TA, grader, tutor for micro principles and stats.
Research experience: 2 years in consulting and quantitative policy research.
Interests: international trade, labor economics, less probably development and industrial organization.
Concerns: relatively sparse math preparation, not famous undergrad/letter writers, A-'s in math stat, intro to econometrics and another quant class.
Programs: Harvard, Princeton, MIT, Yale, UPenn, Michigan, Berkeley, Northwestern, Cornell, Brown, Columbia, NYU

Mirk83
02-09-2008, 12:09 PM
PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Maths degree in a good European university (with fellowship in its honor college)
Type of Grad: Maths Master in a joint program with a top research institution in my country, attending this year an MPhil in economics while I wait aswers by the States
Undergrad GPA: overall GPA: 4.0; econ: ? ; math:4.0.
GRE: 800Q, 700V,AWA 5.0
Math Courses: Everything you can think about :) (really, about 20 undergrad courses, 15 grad, with some at PhD level)
Econ Courses: Almost nothing (I'm attending this years a few micro, macro and econometrics courses directly at grad level)
Letters of Recommendation: two maths prof (my thesis advisor and an international summer school prof) and an econ prof from one of the courses I had to take at the undergrad honor college
Research Experience: Not much, a bit in a joint program of neurobiologists and mathematicians for my thesis (I think my advisor wrote something about it)
Research Interests: Game theory, behavioural modelling in social and economical phenomena.
SOP: didn’t really spend much time on it, just a kind of short bio to explain my movements from pure maths to maths applied to biology and finally to economics.
Concerns: Quite a strange curriculum, not too sure about the LORs.

Admitted just today: CalTech (a good match for my interests :tup:)
Applied: NYU, Harvard, Chicago, MIT, Oxford, LSE.

nervouslywaiting
02-13-2008, 04:43 PM
PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Econ major from a developing country (the leading econ school at the country). Plus a Master from a US public policy school.
Undergrad GPA: overall GPA: 3.07; econ: 3.5.
GRE: 780Q, 530V,AWA 4.0
Math Courses: 2 semester undergrad math econ plus math camp prior to starting my master's.
Econ Courses: The basic sequence of things.
Grad classes: Micro, macro, stat/econometric sequences, plus some graduate electives.
Letters of Recommendation: thesis advisor, 2 grad econ prof I graded for, an Economist from work.
Research Experience: Undergraduate thesis, master's final paper, 5 years working in policy research.
Teaching Experience: part-time lecturer for the past 5 years.
Research Interests: development, health, labor.
SOP: standard why and what.
Concerns: not-so-great GPA for both undergrad and grad.

In:
Reject: Duke (2/13), Virginia (2/18)
Not yet: Brown, Umich, Wisconsin (AAE) ,Cornell (AEM), Harvard (Health Policy), UNC (Health Policy), Oxford (Devt. Studies).

Svengali
02-13-2008, 08:01 PM
PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Big land-grant school public school in the south.
Undergrad GPA: 4.0 Electrical Engineering
GRE: 780Q, 690V, 6.0 AW
Math Courses: Standard EE u-grad math courses. Incl Calc, real analysis, stats, etc.
Econ Courses: Intro Micro/Macro
Letters of Recommendation: Good letters. Not from economists.
Research Experience: 3 semesters, in bioelectromagnetics.
Teaching Experience: 2 semesters.
Research Interests: Micro, game theory
Other: American Male.

Concerns. Lack of econ background. Letters coming from non-economists.

Accepts (so far):
Rejects (so far): Duke.

yayflipflops
02-13-2008, 09:44 PM
Undergrad study: Math/Econ major from liberal arts college
Undergrad GPA: overall & major: 3.6
GRE: 770Q, 710V,AWA 5.0
Letters of Recommendation: math prof, econ prof, 2 economists who are my supervisors. Should be strong.
Research Experience: Undergraduate thesis, 2-3 years at research division in central bank
Research Interests: finance, applied micro
Concerns: GPA, GRE
Schools: Berkeley, UCLA, Columbia, Cornell, Yale, Michigan, Wisconsin, Maryland, Hopkins

bojangles42124
02-14-2008, 02:09 PM
PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Math & Econ double degree from a public state university with a top 20 econ program.
Undergrad GPA: Overall 3.2; Econ 3.9; Math 3.2
GRE: 800Q, 550V, 4.5 AW
Research Experience: Undergraduate honors thesis, statistician for Dept. of Commerce since graduating in May
Concerns. a (C) in Analysis - The instructor is notoriously subjective when assigning grades, but it isn't easy to explain that fact on an application. I have adjusted my expectations accordingly.

Accepts (so far): Virginia (Thrilled!)
Rejects (so far):

gregobad
02-14-2008, 07:07 PM
PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: BS Econ from MIT
Undergrad GPA: 4.9/5.0
GRE: 800Q, 770V, 5.5A
Math Courses: Calc I & II, Linear Algebra, Probability, Econometrics
Econ Courses: Intermediate Micro / Macro, a couple semesters of game theory, various field courses
Letters of Recommendation: Two econ profs, neither of whom are well-known but both know me well (one was my undergrad advisor, the other was my thesis advisor). Third rec from a manager at my job (economic consulting firm). Pretty confident that all three are strong recs, but I assume the third will be discounted somewhat because it's non-academic.
Research Experience: Was an RA for a summer in a physics lab at MIT. Did an undergrad thesis my senior year. Worked for 1.5 years at an economic consulting firm doing semi-relevant work (lots of experience with Stata, Matlab, other programming languages)
Teaching Experience: Tutored undergrads in econ and physics at MIT.
Research Interests: Game theory, behavioral economics, political economy
SOP: talked about my past research work, briefly about why I want to go back to get a phd, in some detail about my research interests / ideas. about 1000 words total.
Concerns: Haven't taken as much math as a lot of other applicants. Uncertain how well the SOP will go over.

Admitted: CalTech
Applied, no decision yet: Harvard, Chicago, MIT, Northwestern, Stanford, Stanford GSB (Political Economy track), Berkeley, Princeton

Chumi
02-14-2008, 07:07 PM
School: undergraduate in a top public university of my country and Master in Economics at another private university with very good PhD placement

Major: Economics. GPA: 3.50.
GRE: 770q 310v 3.0AWA (Ay caramba!)
TOEFL: 607/660

Courses: Tons and tons of econ, math and econometrics but no formal real analysis.

TA: undergraduate courses in maths, macro, micro and econometrics.

Research: 3 applied papers and 1 on experimental economics.

RA: I was fellow during 3 years in one of the most prestigious think-tank in my country. In addition, I worked as a RA for a while to a visitng professor from UMich. Currently working at WB.

LOR: strong, I think it is my best asset.

Interests: Macroeconomics, development, trade and applied econometrics.

Schools: UCLA, Brown, Duke, Maryland, Texas Austin, UVA, NC Chapel Hill, Georgetown, UToronto, Boston College, Pompeu Fabra, Oxford and UCL

My Concerns: The cost of my wedding! :p My low GPA and Verbal GRE

EconMsGiggle
02-15-2008, 07:18 AM
School: One of the Top schools in my country
Major: Statistics
GPA: 3.4/4.0 (relatively low gpa... I never thought of studying in foreign country...)
GRE: 800q 600v 3.0 AWA (writing score is bad...)
TOEFL: 260 (W 4.0)

Courses
1) Econ: Principle of economics, Microeconomics
2) Math: Matrices, Probablility & Statistics, Mathematics for Economics, Calculus 1 and 2, Mathematical Statistics
3) Statistics: Regression Analysis, Multivariate Analysis, EDA, Time-series Analysis, etc...

Experience: I have been an economist in Bank for about 10 years... CFA charterholder (but no effects in admission)
LOR: Statistics Prof, Head of my research center(Phd in Econ), Senior research fellow at my research center(Phd in Econ)
Teaching: none
Interests: Development, Empirical Analysis

Schools: Only for Master's degree...
Applied to: LSE, NYU, Duke, UIUC, Umich, UMN-TC(applied econ), Cornell(applied econ)

Goals: expand my analytical skill

Admitted: UIUC
Pending: all other schools
Rejected: Not yet

MzSunshine
02-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Time to stop lurking around and post my profile. Hopefully it'll be useful for someone in the future...

Undergrad: Decent LAC in the Northeast. Econ/International Studies Major, didn't do almost any math while there (just intro to math for economists). Enrolled in math classes on the side while working full time in NYC for the past few years to beef up the profile.

Undergrad GPA: 3.75/4
GRE: 790Q, 650V, 5.5A

Math Courses: Intro to math for economists during undergrad (A+) and Intro to Probability and Stats, undergrad level (A+), , but nothing else. At Columbia U School of Continuing Education - Calc II and III (B+/A), Linear Algebra (A-), Intro to Probability, grad level (B+). Rather skimpy preparation compared to most of the TMians...

Econ Courses: Took a whole bunch of upper level classes on offer in my college, including econometrics, and thoroughly enjoyed them all, doing reasonably well. Unfortunately B+ in both micro and macro theory.

Letters of Recommendation: Two from my profs from college, enthusiastic I think, but neither of them publish much since they're at a teaching college. One from my boss at work (economic consulting firm) who is an economist by training, but also doesn't publish in academia.

Research Experience: Independent research project senior year, but nothing published.

Teaching Experience: TA for a principles course sophomore year, tutor for 3 years for micro and macro principles.

Research Interests: Macro, development, international finance...
SOP: Typical "why I want to do an Econ PhD and how I think I'm prepared for it".

Concerns: Recommenders aren't well known, from top institutions, and haven't done much research. No real analysis or any math higher than that.

Goals: IMF/World Bank/etc. Might have been a little dumb to mention this in the SOP, since a lot of the schools care about their placement.

Applying to: UVA (admit - money?), UCSB (admit - money?), Duke (reject), Northwestern, Boston University, GWU, Georgetown, NYU, Columbia, Princeton (MPA), Yale (MA).

Other: I applied last year before taking Linear Algebra and the grad Probability. Got admits to UVA and Penn State, but no funding. Got full funding at Fordham but decided not to go cause of personal financial reasons and cause they've never placed anyone at either the IMF or World Bank. Also got an admit at GWU, but they offered funding only on April 30th, by which time I'd already renewed my lease, told my boss I'm staying another year, etc etc and couldn't really up and go anymore. Fingers crossed for better luck this year with the money!!! The admits without money to me are just a more torturous way of rejection...

redskins
02-16-2008, 04:28 AM
PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: leading school in asian country.
Undergrad GPA: 3.79 overall, 3.92 in econ, 4.0 in math.
GRE: 800Q, 730V, 4.5 AW.
Math Courses: full year calculus, full year math analysis, lin algebra, diff eq, topology, real analysis, math stat, reg analysis (all A+).
Econ Courses: econ major.
LoR: 1 econ, 1 stat, 1 math.
Research Experience: RA experience on issues related to macro.
Teaching Experience: macro.
Research Interests: monetary, metrics.

Concerns: no critical research experience.

Applied to: Berkeley, Stanford, Northwestern, Upenn, NYU, Columbia, UW-Madison (admitted), UCSD, UCLA, Cornell, Caltech.

economicsphd008
02-18-2008, 02:56 PM
PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Top 5 Private US University
Undergrad GPA: 3.79 overall, 3.79 in econ.
GRE: 800Q, 530V, 5.0 AW.
Math Courses: Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis, Stochastic Processes, Computational Finance.
Econ Courses: Advanced Micro Theory, Advanced Macro Theory, PhD levels Econometrics I and II, Mathematical Game Theory, Financial Theory, General Equilibrium Theory, American Economic History, Development Economics, Economics of Poverty, 2 Semester Senior Thesis.
LoR: 3 econ, all from famous, senior professors.
Research Experience: RA for 1 year, Senior Thesis for 1 year. Prize for outstanding thesis.
Teaching Experience: Tutored Economics, Physics, and Math.
Research Interests: Labor, Health, Political Economy, Econometrics.
Concerns: I guess my GPA could be a little higher.

Applied to: Harvard, MIT, Yale(Admitted $$$), Princeton, NYU (Admitted $$$), Columbia, Chicago, Northwestern, Stanford, Berkeley.

israelecon
02-18-2008, 11:03 PM
PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Top Israeli University (Israel is an anomaly in that it is a tiny country but the universities are extremely strong in economics). I was in this university only from the 2006/7 academic year, before that i did a year in the openu in israel because i was in the army and wasn't allowed to enroll in normal universities.
Undergrad GPA: double major in math and economics. 90% math average, 97% economics average in openu
96% math and 97% economics in my present university.
GRE: 800Q, 800V, 6.0 AW.
Math Courses: Calculus 1,2, Linear algebra 1,2,(took those in openu, the rest are from wher i am studying now) Intro to Probability, Set Theory, Combinatorics and Graph Theory, Complex Analysis, Cooperative game theory (but still taking 6 more math courses this year to finish my degree)
Econ Courses: Intro to Micro, Intro to Macro, Intermediate micro 1, 2, 3, Intermediate macro 1,2, econometrics, Theories of distributive justice (currently taking graduate micro instead of electives to finish of my undergraduate degree)
LoR: 2 from economists (one of whom has a joint appointment in my university and NWU) 1 from mathematical game theorist. all pretty well known in their fields , none know me well beyond the grades i got in their class. i don't think they were overly enthusiastic, but i think thats good, because the adcoms are probably very suspicious of overly enthusiastic recommenders.
Research Experience: none
Research Interests: micro and games
Concerns: i have only completed 2 years of university before applying.
Comments: i think the most important part of my application is that i received the provost award in my university which is basically an award they give to one person per department in my university, so i got the dean of the faculty to write me a letter that i was chosen out of 1200 people studying economics. I think this is the most important because everyone here has great grades and great gre scores, but the adcoms want something besides that that signals that you are special. just my opinion.

Applied to: Harvard, MIT, Yale, Princeton, NYU (Admitted $$$), Columbia, Chicago, Northwestern, Stanford, Berkeley.

mogelsworth
02-19-2008, 06:28 PM
PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: top 30 Econ program, state university, B.S. Econ w/minor in math
Undergrad GPA: 3.7, 3.8 econ
Type of Grad:
Grad GPA:
GRE: 720/ 510/ 5.0
Math Courses: Calc series, advanced multivariable calc, differential equations, matrix algebra, linear algebra, real analysis, math stats
Econ Courses: lots- including advanced micro and macro
Other Courses:
Letters of Recommendation: 2 from well known grad profs, 1 from boss at econ consulting firm. I know 1 prof and ref from boss were strong, unsure about the second prof.
Research Experience: 2 years at research intense econ consulting firm
Research Interests: international econ, development
SOP: ok- a little too sappy and possibly coming off as naive
Other:

RESULTS:
Acceptances: Virginia
Waitlists:
Rejections:
Other: Cornell, UW, UBC, UT, Penn State, Syracuse, BU
What would you have done differently? Taken the GRE earlier so that I could retake and get higher scores in Q and V. Not taken math stats, which was grad level and taught absolutely horribly (new prof, grade scale changed 3 times after class failed each exam), my only C.

okcash
02-19-2008, 06:52 PM
Type of Undergrad: Mathematics-Economics (2 in 1 -LSE External@Istanbul)
Undergrad GPA: 3.62
GRE: 790Q, 360V, 3.5 AW.
Math Courses: Adv. Calculus, Adv Lin. Algebra, Abstract Math, Adv Mathematical Analysis, Mathematics of Finance and Valuation, Mathematical Economics,
Econ Courses: Interm. Micro, Adv. Micro, Interm Macro, Optimisation Theory, Game Theory, Interm Econometrics
LoR: in the pool; 4 econ, 1 math, all nice people :)
SoP: A good but longer one
Research Experience: none
Research Interests: micro, games, choice
Concerns: no research experience
Comments: Most of advisors(!) told me not to apply just after the undergrad, but I want it now.

Applied to: Cornell, Duke(reject), UVa(admit), Rice, Rochester, Pittsburgh, UNC-CH, UCIrvine, USCalifornia, BostonU,

Internationalstudent08
02-20-2008, 01:18 AM
PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Top 5 private U.S. university
Undergrad GPA: 3.74
GRE: 800q, 670v, 4.5w
Math Courses: multivariable calculus, linear algebra, topology, advanced probability, optimization, real analysis (this semester)
Econ Courses: ...many...
Other Courses: ...not too many.. :(
Letters of Recommendation: 1 famous economist, 1 well-known economist, 1 from humanities prof.
Research Experience: 2 summers + thesis
Teaching Experience: I've got some...
Research Interests: macro, pol. economy
SOP: I've been told that it's quite good, not that it matters though

Applying to: 8 out of the top 15 schools + 2 more

Goal: Happiness

Concerns. math and bad selection of schools. I should have applied to more schools between 15 and 40. I played risky

jnkorama
02-20-2008, 05:14 PM
PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Top 10 liberal arts school
Undergrad GPA: 3.62 (3.69 Econ)
GRE: 790q, 610v, 5w
Math Courses: multivariable calculus, linear algebra, probability, differential equations, statistics, intro analysis
Econ Courses: 13 classes, including 7 at the highest undergrad level and math for econ:(
Letters of Recommendation: 3 economists, none well-known
Research Experience: R.A. at fed and consulting
Teaching Experience: Tutor for economics
Research Interests: economics, but my SOP says macro
SOP: Elaborated on my research experience and interests. Some of them I mentioned profs at the schools, some of them I didn't.
Applying to: 13 top 30 schools, NSF
Admitted: Austin, Davis

Concerns: GPA, lack of something interesting to say to distinguish myself from everyone else.

friendlyskies
02-21-2008, 09:45 PM
PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Small, not very well-known LAC
Undergrad GPA: 3.99 Business admin major, Econ minor
GRE: 780q, 620v, 5.0w
Math Courses: multivariable calculus, linear algebra, diff eq, real analysis (2 sem.), math stats (2 sem. w/ Casella&Berger)
Econ Courses: intro micro/macro, intermediate micro/macro, IO, statistical analysis for econ
Letters of Recommendation: 2 fed economists, 1 undergrad finance prof.
Research Experience: 2.5 yrs as Fed RA, a couple undergrad publications in crummy journals
Teaching Experience: TA for a couple semesters in UG
Research Interests: macro, int'l trade and finance
SOP: pretty standard...try to explain away the weaknesses and accentuate the positive

Applying to: WUSTL, Maryland, UVA (admit), Boston College, Boston U, UNC, Duke (reject), UT Austin, Arizona State (admit), Brown, Vanderbilt (admit), Georgetown

Goal: Research univ. or a good LAC
Concerns. Business undergrad degree instead of econ, math, or something else looked favorably upon

econometrician
02-25-2008, 07:59 PM
PROFILE:

Type of Undergrad: Small University in Europe
Undergrad GPA: 9 / 10 (which only around 1% of all students got during the last years)
Type of Grad: same school
Grad GPA: 9 / 10 (at time of application)

GRE: 790Q, 360V, 5.0AW (I know my GRE verbal score really sucks)
IBT: 113/120 (my English is not that bad after all)

Math Courses: Linear Algebra, Analysis I and II, Probability Theory, Mathematical Statistics, Operations Research, Optimization, Differential Equations, Stochastic Processes, Programming
Econ Courses: Econometric Methods, Time Series, Panel Data, (Intermediate) Micro, (Intermediate) Macro, Game Theory, Auctions, Mathematical Econ, Monetary Econ, Finance, Asset Pricing
(those are all I can think of)

Letters of Recommendation: 3 profs I had several classes with, 2 mathematical econ, 1 econometrics. I am currently working as a RA for the metrics prof. I am pretty sure that they are very good.
Research Experience: Research assistant during the last year, undergrad thesis (which I will present at a conference in April, and hopefully publish afterwards), grad thesis
Teaching Experience: Tutor
Research Interests: (Time Series) Econometrics, Macro

Concerns: I was really worried about my GRE verbal score. At least my Toefl and AW scores are decent.

Applied to: Harvard, MIT, Yale, Northwestern, UPenn, NYU, BC, Berkeley, Brown, JHU, Maryland, Toronto

Big Tuna
02-27-2008, 04:42 PM
I've been lurking on this forum for a while to get news about admissions, so I guess I should contribute something.

PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Top 25 Public US University with good economics department
Undergrad GPA: 4.0 in all coursework (majors in economics and philosophy, minor in math)
Masters: N/A
GRE: 800Q, 800V, 4.5 AW
Math Courses: Calculus I, II, and III, Linear Algebra, Real Analysis, Mathematical Modeling, Differential Equations, Complex Analysis, Numerical Methods (A's or A+'s in all these classes except for 2 in progress).
Econ Courses: Undergrad: Mathematical Micro, Intermediate Macro, Econometrics, Game Theory (A+'s in all these classes), plus a bunch of random irrelevant field courses.
Graduate: Just PhD Econometrics I (A+).
Letters of Recommendation: 3 from economists, all with solid reputations, all of whom I've taken classes with and been supervised by on independent research projects.
Research Experience: 2 years working as a research assistant to a faculty member. Empirical paper under review in a decent journal. I've also done two other econ programs at my school that involve substantial independent thesis projects.
Teaching Experience: None, except for tutoring
Research Interests: Mostly public policy economics and labor economics; also a bit of econometric theory.
SOP: Not much to say here; I guess it was fine.
Other: Male

Goals: Probably academia, though I wouldn't mind being involved in public policy for the government at some point.

Concerns. I didn't come from an Ivy like many people applying to the same schools, and I don't have intense graduate math like topology or measure theory. I'm also not really fond of my 4.5 GRE Analytic Writing score.

Applying to: NYU (Admit $), Duke (Admit $), Yale (Admit $), Columbia (Admit but no $ 1st year), UChicago (Admit $ level one), Northwestern(Admit, no word on $ yet), Harvard(Waitlisted), MIT(?), University of Maryland(?), Stanford(?).

AstralTraveller
02-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Due to popular acclaim (i.e., Olm), I'm re-posting my profile at the Econ PhD forum. Hope I will get in somewhere!!!

- International applicant (latin america)
- Undergrad (BSc) and MA in Economics from the best university in the country.
- Very strong in Econometrics, and TA for Stats/Metrics for UG, MA, PhD and MBA courses for years.
- Decent math/stats background; sadly, only self-taught Real Analysis (Rudin) and Topology (Ivorra). Probability theory at the level of Spanos's "Statistical Foundations of Econometric Modelling", taken at grad econ.
- Took PhD level micro, macro and metrics
- Quite a lot of research. Sadly, most are empirical papers, and in subjects as varied as Demographic Economics, Business Ethics, Implicit valuation of attributes (hedonic pricing), Growth, Family Businesses, Econometrics. This is because I work as a junior researcher at a local B-school, so I have to work on any assignment that is put in front of me.
- TRUE research interests: Econometrics on one side, IO/Micro on another.
- A great LoR from a professor at a top-30 US B-school who held a Visiting position here and to whom I RA'd.
- Other great LoR's from professors who know me really well who are economists, and not that well-known internationally.
- GRE less than stellar: 780Q, 550V, 3.5AWA (did not have time to prepare or retake)
- GMAT decent: 50Q, 37V, 710 Overall
- TOEFL *really* less than stellar: 99 iBT

Concerns: The superhigh probability of not getting in anywhere. I thought I was a competitive applicant, to at least get admitted somewhere funded.

EconApp2008
02-28-2008, 01:14 AM
After the thread about adcoms lurking...I'm starting to get paranoid.

Blondin
02-28-2008, 04:45 PM
Hi everyone,

I discovered this website two days ago, and I'm really getting mad now, checking updates every two minutes.. I guess it's fair to share my profile:

Type of Grad School (1): Top UK masters in Econometrics and Math Econ
GPA: Merit
Type of Grad School (2): French engineering school, specialized in Stats
GPA: N.A, but scored above 70% on most courses with 100% in metrics, time series

GRE: 800Q, 470V, 4AW
IBT: 112

LORs: 2 or 3 from the UK (1 teacher in contract theory, 1 in game theory,1 in corporate finance). 1 from France (top French econometrician)
Research experience: none
Teaching experience: undergrad metrics in the UK. Undergrad micro and macro in France.
Work experience: 1 1/2 year in economic consulting (london and paris)
Fields of interest: micro theory

Concerns: No RA experience. Did not get the distinction to my masters program (missed it by 2%). Getting rejections...

Applied to: Harvard, MIT, Northwestern (rejected), UPenn, Columbia, Berkeley, Princeton, Yale (rejected), Stanford, Chicago, UCSD, UCL, LSE

Applying to: Toulouse

wheeler
03-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Hey all! I've been reading the threads for over a week now, and decided it's time to join in! :)

International applicant (Europe)
Maths/Econ undergrad (BA, joint honours)
lots of maths (Analysis I & II, Algebra I & II, Probability/Measure Theory, ODEs) and statistics (Prob & Stats I & II, GLMs, Classical & Bayesian Inference)
No research
Interested in lots of things, monetary and growth theory and econometric theory probably topping the list
Enthusiastic LORs from my professors (they actually convinced me to apply)
GRE 800Q, 620V, 5.0AWA
Top of my class (almost all subjects firsts) Applying to:
NYU, Duke, Chicago, NWU, Stanford, Harvard, Columbia, Yale, Berkeley, MIT, Oxbridge, LSE.

semischolastic
03-02-2008, 06:46 AM
BigTuna, that's a fantastic profile (and obviously, the adcoms think so too). The AWA is obviously an anomaly, and I don't think anyone will take it too seriously, especially coupled with your 800 Verbal score. I'd be surprised if you didn't get into MIT.

yishii1986
03-03-2008, 08:56 AM
Just wanted to let you guys know that I've heard back from Harvard, Penn, Yale, Columbia, and Chicago. Let me know if anyone's heard from Princeton or MIT. Thanks.

Pessimist
03-04-2008, 02:09 AM
PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Ivy League (2nd tier econ dept)
Undergrad GPA: 3.9
GRE: 800Q, 720V, 5.0 AW
Math Courses: Calculus I (A), II (A), and III (A+), Linear Algebra (P), Real Analysis (A), Differential Equations (A), Statistical Inference (A)
Econ Courses:
Undergrad: Intermediate Micro (A+), Intermediate Macro (A+), Econometrics I (A) and II (A), Game Theory (A+), Population Economics (A), Economic Growth(A)
Graduate: Development (B), Labor and Population (A) -> I just got the A last fall and it doesn't count!!!
Letters of Recommendation: All 3 from junior faculty, 2 of whom I've worked with as an RA
Research Experience: Participated in a summer research program
Teaching Experience: None, except for tutoring
Research Interests: development, labor
SOP: Nothing special, but I don't think it was bad
Other: Female

Goals: Probably academia

Concerns: I took linear algebra my freshman year before deciding to get an Econ PhD and chose to took it pass/fail because I screwed up the first test, would have gotten an A+ in the end if I had switched back to getting a grade (not sure if getting an A in Real Analysis would help undo the damage); getting a B in Graduate level development while indicating that my research interest is development; all LORS from junior faculty

Applying to: Yale (reject), U Penn (reject), UC Berkeley (reject), Harvard(?), MIT(reject), Stanford(reject), Princeton(?)

At this point I don't think I'll get in anywhere, but I just wanted to share my profile for the sake of current/future applicants.

Olm
03-04-2008, 05:50 AM
Pessimist, your profile is amazing. However, nobody is guaranteed a place in the top 10, regardless of profile. What really sets you apart, especially in the top 10, is the strength of your LORs.

israelecon
03-04-2008, 08:16 AM
pessimist, your profile is strong. I think there are only 2 weaknesses, your B in a grad course and the fact that the LORs are all from junior faculty, i think you need at least one from senior faculty especially since you are in a well known university the adcom might be wondering why you didn't get those.
other than that i think you do have a chance to get into a top school, i just don't think you applied to enough schools. if you would have applied to all the top ten (or fifteen) schools I would think you would have gotten in somewhere. that being said, you still might get in somewhere this year.

mickey122223
03-04-2008, 11:02 AM
I can't take the waiting - still no definite replies, so I'll waste some time by stopping lurking and posting a profile.

PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: LSE Econ
Undergrad GPA: 1st Class
GRE: 800Q, 570V, 4.5 AW
Math Courses: Algebra/Calculus (Pass), Abstract Math (1st), Math Econ (1st)
Econ Courses: Intro Econ (2.1), Mathematical Micro (1st), Intermediate Macro (1st), (v tough) Econometrics (3rd), International Econ (1st), Game Theory (2.1), Monetary Econ (1st), Advanced Econ Analysis (1st)
Letters of Recommendation: 2 from professors, 1 from research student, one probably pretty strong, one talking about math which should be pretty good, 3rd one unlikely to tell them very much
Research Experience: none, no thesis
Teaching Experience: None
Research Interests: International Macro
SOP: Decent for some schools, not so good for others

Applying to: MIT (?), Columbia (Reject but nothing official yet), Berkeley (?), UBC (?), LSE (?), Oxford (?), Cambridge (?), Warwick (?)

DevelopmentEcon
03-04-2008, 03:24 PM
I'm posting this for all the other people out there intimidated by all the people getting big bucks from top 10 universities... there are average PhD applicants out there too!

PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Top 35 private US university; strong in Econ Theory
Undergrad GPA: 3.68 overall; 3.4 in Econ (had a bad senior year, give me a break!)
GRE: 770Q, 570V, 4.5 AW
Math Courses: Calculus I, II, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations, Basic Stats class (All A's)
Econ Courses: Undergrad: , Intermediate Macro (C+), Econometrics (B), Intermediate Micro (A-) Public Finance (B), One mandatory Econ intro and one Econ History class
Graduate:N/A
Letters of Recommendation: 1 From the macro/micro prof explaining my Micro grade was more descriptive of my ability; 1 from a Political Science prof who knew me well and I did independent research with; 1 from my Diff Eq prof
Research Experience: N/A
Teaching Experience: N/A
Research Interests: Mostly applied micro; Development Economics; specifically in Francophone Africa so I can use my French language ability to collect original data
SOP: Stated how I'd spent 1 year working for corporate america, 1 year volunteering with Americorps which spiked my interest in Development, and 1 year teaching english in France to improve my language skills
Other: Male

Goals: Probably academia, though I wouldn't mind being involved in think tank or agency work at some point.

Concerns. I've been accepted to my top 3 choices; but now I have to choose between lots of money/no TA responsibilities versus better prestige and possibility of no funding... decisions are tough to make!

Applying to: UIUC and Michigan State (these two are straight Econ PhD's and I haven't heard anything), Cornell AEM M.S. (accepted, no $), Penn State Ag Econ M.S (accepted, 14k), Ohio State AED PhD (accepted, 15k w/no TA responsibility first year), UW-Madison AAE PhD (accepted, no funding info yet)

fresh_s
03-04-2008, 07:52 PM
Hello! Just delurking!

PROFILE:
Type of Undergrad: Tier 1 US Liberal Arts College
Undergrad GPA: 3.79 overall (Magnu Cum Laude with high honors in Economics); 4.0 Econ (Math, Economics double-major)
Distinctions: Phi Beta Kappa, Departmental Award in Economics, Undergraduate full scholarship and fellowships
GRE: 790Q, 560V, 5.0 AW
Letters of Recommendation: 3 Economics professors (Thesis advisor, econometrics, development)
Research Experience: Undergraduate thesis (unpublished)
Teaching Experience: N/A
Research Interests: Applied micro -- labor, demography, development
SOP: I was told that it's most important to sound sane... I think I can pass in writing!
Other: Female, US Citizen

Goals: Academia or think tank (Currently work for an economic consulting group.)

Concerns: Not worth dwelling on. :)

Schools: BC ($$), U Colorado at Boulder ($$), UVA (??), UCSD, UC Berkeley, Stanford, UMD, MIT, UPenn (rejected), Duke (rejected), Brown (rejected)

fp3690
03-05-2008, 02:21 AM
pessimist, your profile is strong. I think there are only 2 weaknesses, your B in a grad course and the fact that the LORs are all from junior faculty, i think you need at least one from senior faculty especially since you are in a well known university the adcom might be wondering why you didn't get those.
other than that i think you do have a chance to get into a top school, i just don't think you applied to enough schools. if you would have applied to all the top ten (or fifteen) schools I would think you would have gotten in somewhere. that being said, you still might get in somewhere this year.

Why would a B in a grad course be bad? I thought no one cared about grades in PhD courses.

semischolastic
03-05-2008, 06:42 AM
Why would a B in a grad course be bad? I thought no one cared about grades in PhD courses.

Why would you think that? It's true that grades are not that important in PhD classes if you are a PhD student. But if you aren't, grades in PhD classes are an important signal of your preparation for a PhD program.

fp3690
03-07-2008, 12:54 AM
Why would you think that? It's true that grades are not that important in PhD classes if you are a PhD student. But if you aren't, grades in PhD classes are an important signal of your preparation for a PhD program.

Good point.

romodoro
04-05-2008, 10:16 PM
I guess I should also post something resembling a profile...
Type of Undergrad: small liberal arts college in the US
Undergrad GPA: Phi Beta Kappa, tho I forgot the handshake. 3.90 overall, 4.00 Econ
Masters: what's a Masters? ;)
GRE: 790Q, 600V, 5.5AW
Math Courses: NONE -- yeah, I really am one of the rare few
Econ Courses: Advanced Macro, Micro + Econometrics, International Econ, Socialist Econ and a bunch of other Econs I don't recall right now
Letters of Recommendation: 3 solid ones from economists
Research Experience: undergraduate thesis, published by a top European journal
Teaching Experience: only tutoring
Research Interests: MNCs' location decisions (see below under other)
SOP: umm, some 700 word document nicely tailored for each department
Other: out of school for half a decade now, making investment decisions for one of the world's most loved MNC
Goals: ideally, teach scuba diving in Thailand :) Realistically, work in some research institute.
Concerns:
Applying to: US (Columbia, NYU -- I love NYC) and UK (Oxford, LSE). I'm curious what you guys think my results were. PM me if you don't want to make this thread longer than it is.