10-29-2003, 01:47 PM
Hi folks,

Finished my TOEFL TOday. Got the following breakup for my score:
217-273
Listening -- 26
Structure--13-30
Reading--26

Finished my Test in 2 hours and 15 minutes:p
Listening and Structure scores were almost same as I was getting in my Practice sessions. In Reading I was getting 30 which got down to 26 :( ..maybe becos of more no of questions than I had ever practiced with. I got 55 with 5 passages in the actual test. Usually I used to have 45 questions.

I do hope I get a good score in my Essay which will take my score beyond 250. I feel I have written well..touchwood* Overall I am happy with the range for the time being. Thanks to this wonderful Site of Testmagic.

I was using the following things:
Cliffs Test preparation
Powerprep Software
Testmagic website

Thanks
Vishnu

asad100
10-29-2003, 06:41 PM
Hey, Vsubash, How's it going?

You total score is very pleasure to read. I wish I could exchange it! Just kidding! Once again congrats to you for your great accomplishment!

I've to ask a number of questions.

1) Did you find your real rest easier than that of powerprep?
2) Which section do you think was a bit harder?
3) What was your writing topic?
4) Did you hear any slang words?
5)How much time did you take for your preparation before giving the exact test?
6)What are pitfalls do you think student should avoid at the exam hall?

I hope that I'm not getting on your's wick!

See ya round! Stay cool!

vsubash
10-30-2003, 03:59 AM
Hi Asad,

Thanks.

Well as for replying to your questions:

1) Did you find your real rest easier than that of powerprep?
ans. Well the real test is almost similar to the powerprep except for the reading section in my test.

2) Which section do you think was a bit harder?
ans. I think this depends on the individual. For me concentrating in the Listening section and remembering things had been difficult. In the practice tests I was answering wrong atleast 5 questions which results in a score between 24-26 and the final test also it remained the same. I think the key in the listening section is to get the first 12-15 short conversation questions right which are fairly simple. And it is a bit difficult since initially when you start off with the listening section it takes a little time before you get tuned to the voice. I think the listening tutorial which is given should be taken seriously so that you get into the groove quickly. I realised this only two days before the exam and luckily I managed 26.

3) What was your writing topic?
ans. I better avoid replying this since I have signed the confidentiality statement. But the topic was not difficult and pertained to some preference about something in my daily life with reasons and examples.

4) Did you hear any slang words?
ans. Nope I didn't hear any slang words.

5)How much time did you take for your preparation before giving the exact test?
ans. Well I am working in a software company and the job took most of my time. But I think I managed to put in about 2 weeks preparation time. With the last 3-4 days keeping myself relaxed by doing crosswords etc, doing the Powerprep tests. The score you get in Powerprep is almost indicative of your final score. Your final score would be I guess say 5-10 points less than what you get in the powerprep.

6)What are pitfalls do you think student should avoid at the exam hall?
ans. 1. Thinking too much about the score he wants to get.
2. Even if you think you have started badly a section , do not lose the drive.
3. I think it would be a good idea to utilise the full time even if you finish earlier. This happened with me in Reading section. I finished a good 45 minutes before time. I should have utlised the time to review my answers. But as I have always been getting 30 in reading in practice I felt lazy and overconfident to review and as a result ended up with 26 where it most mattered.
4. During the break after the structure section do not think about the sections you have completed. Go to the rest room and drink water and also wash your face and start afresh for the reading and writing section.

I think I have tried my best to answer your questions. Hope it helps :) All the best and do well . I'll be always happy to answer questions..

Vishnu

asad100
10-30-2003, 05:57 AM
Hey Vsu,

Thanks for your explanations. They are a great help not only for me but also other test-takers. Everyone will try to benefit advantages by applying your real experience.

We're looking forward to seeing you for your further assistance!