PDA

View Full Version : include MSc bad result or not?

italos
09-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Hello

I would like an opinion from you guys

I am finishing this September an MSc in Economics in a top UK Department.
Nevertheless, due to medical reasons I did bad in my exams and I would not graduate this fall as scheduled.Of course I am sitting the examinations again but that will be next summer as a first attempt
I am saying all these since I am interesting in applying in the top US Departments for my PhD
In your opinion do you think that :
1)should I include this information in my application
2)Should I not include that I was doing an MSc
3)Could I ask for references from MSc my lectures?

I can not wait for another and applying for 09/10 due to my age

Thanks

TruDog
09-09-2007, 03:49 PM
1) Yes. You should be honest in what has happened to you (put it in your SOP) and it shouldn't hurt you if you got delayed due to medical reasons.
2) No. The schools will request transcripts, so you'll have to divulge the information.
3) Absolutely. The professors can help back up your SOP and verify your medical issues.

Dannyb19
09-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Deleted. I said exactly what TruDog said, just a couple minutes later!

studentecon
09-09-2007, 05:02 PM
I am saying all these since I am interesting in applying in the top US Departments for my PhD

If you are thinking of applying without divulging your Master's, then why didn't you apply a year ago without doing the Master's at all? If you thought you didn't have a good chance and were counting on the Master's or if you did apply and got rejected, then why do you think you have a chance this year without improving your profile?

Get a professor to explain in a letter the extenuating circumstances and good luck!

trustmiller
09-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Hi Italos,
At which UK school are you studying? I know that in some schools (notably UCL) the fail rate is very high (33%), but the majority then manages to obtain the master. On the other hand, other master programmes (e.g. LSE)easier from a quant point of view, have really low fail rates. My point is that if you come from a highly quant master, you should not have any problem in applying to PhD programmes in the US. However, I would not apply to top 20 US departments as you will encounter a rejection.

italos
09-12-2007, 10:34 AM
At which UK school are you studying? .

At Warwick. LSE 's master in economics is very easy.Did you know that LSE gets more than 200 students per year?Only their MSc in Econometrics is high competitive!

italos
09-12-2007, 10:45 AM
Hi Italos,
However, I would not apply to top 20 US departments as you will encounter a rejection.

Actually, I was thinking to apply in some of the top 20 if not in the top i10 US Schools with high background in my field.You see I have a very good CV and a good undergraduate background.I have know also some staff of those Departments in some Conferences.Nevertheless, the results of my MSc worries me as they will count negatively in my application.How can I have the best damage control ?

Matrin Zong
09-12-2007, 10:55 PM
At Warwick. LSE 's master in economics is very easy.Did you know that LSE gets more than 200 students per year?Only their MSc in Econometrics is high competitive!

LSE's MSc is NOT easier then this from Warwick. There are about 70 people at MSc in Economics at LSE.

Best,
Matrin.
ExamHub.org (http://examhub.org)

asianeconomist
09-13-2007, 06:21 AM
Did you know that LSE gets more than 200 students per year?Only their MSc in Econometrics is high competitive!

Wow! This is a shocking piece of information. Especially when the LSE website claims 80 admits/947 applicants in 2005 (MSc Economics MSc Economics (Research) MSc Economics (Two-year programme) - Taught programmes - Graduate Prospectus - Graduate Admissions - LSE (http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/graduateProspectus2007/taughtProgrammes/MScEconomics.htm)).

Can anyone validate this?

Matrin Zong
09-13-2007, 08:26 AM
Wow! This is a shocking piece of information. Especially when the LSE website claims 80 admits/947 applicants in 2005 (MSc Economics MSc Economics (Research) MSc Economics (Two-year programme) - Taught programmes - Graduate Prospectus - Graduate Admissions - LSE (http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/graduateProspectus2007/taughtProgrammes/MScEconomics.htm)).

Can anyone validate this?

I can. I had some friends in this program. The information above is not true. There are about 70 people in the program.

Best,
Matrin Zong
examhub.org (http://examhub,org)

italos
09-13-2007, 09:15 AM
It may not be true.I don't insist.However, this is what I was told from an LSE grand. student