PDA

View Full Version : What do u think about my essay?I am a no native speaker

macmax
09-10-2007, 04:34 PM
ďIf rituals did not exist, we would have to invent them. We need ceremonies and rituals to help us define ourselves socially and culturallyĒ

Itís right: rituals and ceremonies, but also habits, could help us define ourselves in a social context. In my opinion, rituals could be important because they help people to live in a community in which all citizens have the same habits and rituals. In effect, respect for the same rituals, in a group of people, could help people to live together in a social and cultural context. Naturally, in this sense, rituals could be considered like a positive thing for society and, considering this thesis, we could say that we would have to invent them. Nevertheless, there are also negative aspects of this phenomenon. In effect, sometimes, people who believe in rituals and ceremonies are intolerants with others cultures or communities. Effectively, from my point of view, once people need ceremonies and rituals to help them define ourselves, in a social and cultural context, they have the incentive to consider their context as unique without considering others people who could respect others ceremonies and rituals. Thus, considering this last observation, rituals and ceremonies could divide a global community which donít respect identical rituals.
Thus, in a certain sense, rituals could help us define ourselves, but, in another sense, rituals can contrast with a world in which there are a lot of community in which there are different habits or rituals. In effect the intolerance of other communities, in which all people celebrate different rituals, is common when a community seek his identity in rituals and ceremonies.
Obviously, this isnít an unique point of view about the importance of rituals. In fact they are considered essential by a lot of people to help them define ourselves but others people consider them as a waste of time and thus place little weight to them.

macmax
09-11-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm not confident with my writing skills. Please give me your impressions!