PDA

View Full Version : Tsp

kkitkat
09-10-2007, 06:49 PM
Has anyone ever used statistical software TSP? If you had, please, share your experience: is it user-friendly, easy to learn, how it compares to STATA, etc.

Thanks a lot

takemoremath
09-11-2007, 12:35 AM
I used TSP several years ago. Actually, I think it is one of the first econometric software platforms that was available on PC's. In the 90's TSP split up into TSP International (which publishes the current TSP versions) and the Eviews company.

TSP is a language (based around C++) and you write programs to run your routines. If you are good at those types of things you might find it fairly easy to pick up; once you learn the basics.

Generally, I'd recommend using Stata over TSP. Stata is far easier to learn and use, and I think it is basically the standard package for econometrics. Anything you'd want to do in TSP can certainly be done more easily in Stata...and Stata is far more powerful and adaptable.

But maybe you have some compelling reason for using TSP over other programs?

kkitkat
09-11-2007, 12:41 AM
Yes I do, it appears to be the software of choice in my program. For someone who used STATA how easy is it to pick up TSP?

Thanks a lot for your help!

takemoremath
09-11-2007, 04:20 AM
I would say it's no harder than using SAS or MatLab. It just takes some getting used to and it's much less "point and click" then Stata or eviews. If you've done any type of programming (C++, Java) it shouldn't be a challenge.

Regardless of the package, the hardest part is always doing the statistics right!