PDA

View Full Version : Advice on transfer

#pragma
09-11-2007, 10:37 AM
I'm currently starting up my MRes at the LSE (equivalent of the first year of a US PhD program) after having completed the MSc and am thinking of transferring. My reasons are two-fold:
I'm interested in behavioral and experimental economics and LSE seems fairly weak in this respect with only two junior faculty performing research in these areas (although UCL seems good).
I dislike LSE's approach to education, which in the name of fostering independence provides half the lectures of a US university and little if no access to professors.These reasons lead to two basic questions:
How difficult is it to transfer after your first year? I should be able to get some recommendations but they won't be that glowing since access to professors during the MSc year is minimal.
What are the best programs for behavioral and/or experimental economics? I imagine its something like: Berkeley, Cal Tech, University of Chicago, Northwestern, NYU, Harvard, Yale, UCSD?. The University College London has its own research centre: ELSE. Is it well regarded?

asianeconomist
09-11-2007, 12:17 PM
I don't know about others, but UCL is well-regarded in the UK. However, if you want a job/degree from the US - you would be better off trying for a North American degree.

Also, check out the Econphd.net rankings.

apropos
09-11-2007, 03:50 PM
I suppose if your grades at LSE are good, this will somehow compensate for the lack of strong letters. You might have to retake the core theory courses once you start a new PhD program though (or take the prelims). I don't know how my program compares to the schools that you mention in experimental, but Purdue University certainly has a strong tradition in experimental economics, so it's worth considering. There is a research center for experimental econ (Krannert School of Management - Home (http://www.mgmt.purdue.edu/centers/vseel/home.asp)) and at least two active researchers in this area right now.

adnormous
09-15-2007, 08:13 PM
I think ELSE is highly regarded within Europe,but I don't know whether it is the case in the States.By the way,the rankings in terms of experimental economics in Econ phd seems to be very strange and distorted to a large extent.