PDA

View Full Version : Average age for finishing dissertation

michaelmas
09-13-2007, 07:17 PM
Hello

Does anyone know or have an idea of the average age of those who finish their phd?

Is finishing at 31 or 32 all that bad?

italos
09-13-2007, 08:33 PM
One of my professors started his PhD at MIT when he was 30!

werther
09-14-2007, 01:22 AM

Did you want to finish when you were 26?
Seriously.. I think you'd have better things to worry about than this sort of thing once you pass your prelims!!

kkitkat
09-14-2007, 04:48 AM
Hello

Does anyone know or have an idea of the average age of those who finish their phd?

I hope not!!!! :)

buckykatt
09-14-2007, 05:19 AM

No. In fact, that's probably pretty close to the median age, given that the median age at entry to top programs is about 25.

dyiwang
09-14-2007, 06:01 PM
I get two data points for you. If it takes me 4 years (which I heard is on the low side in my program), then I'll be 27 when I finish. It took my dad 3 years to finish his, but he started late so he was already in his mid 30s by the time he graduated. You take the average between my dad and me, we are in the 31-32 area. Of course, taking average of two data points is a questionable practice, but at least this sample controls for many genetic differences that might alter one's speed for completion....Good luck.

sonicskat
09-14-2007, 06:45 PM
The better question is how long from first year to a phd.

The age going into a program is not necessarily a problem, its just what you have done with your time.

IntEcon80
09-14-2007, 08:39 PM
I get two data points for you. If it takes me 4 years (which I heard is on the low side in my program), then I'll be 27 when I finish. It took my dad 3 years to finish his, but he started late so he was already in his mid 30s by the time he graduated. You take the average between my dad and me, we are in the 31-32 area. Of course, taking average of two data points is a questionable practice, but at least this sample controls for many genetic differences that might alter one's speed for completion....Good luck.

Are u attending a Phd program at a US University? If so, it is very uncommon to graduate after 4 years of study, unless you were admitted with a fellowship thereby being fred from TA and other duties from the start which tend to distract you from research.

dyiwang
09-14-2007, 09:39 PM
Indeed I am attending a school in the U.S. (and so did my dad). And I'm not sure I will finish in 4, but I would like to. When I was being recruited, they said it was doable. But once I show up, I see plenty of 5th and 6th years around. My funding is fairly generous, but I am required to TA at least one quarter before I can graduate.

Are u attending a Phd program at a US University? If so, it is very uncommon to graduate after 4 years of study, unless you were admitted with a fellowship thereby being fred from TA and other duties from the start which tend to distract you from research.