PDA

View Full Version : What is the score of a mid-level speaking ?

omaradib
09-29-2007, 03:07 PM
I have registered for toefl iBT and it has a free sampler. In the sampler, it gives three sample responses of three different levels - high, mid and low. I was wondering what should be an approximate range of scores for those levels. Does anybody know?

AdrienZeuch
10-09-2007, 07:30 PM
that's a good question, can some one answer this question ?
I have to get 20 in my speaking, and must be in fact easy...do you think that a mid level response would achieve a score of 20 ?

vesely
10-10-2007, 09:41 AM
i think 20 it's just a little bit more than mid level but i think if you practice every day you can get 20 easily..good luck =)

omaradib
10-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Initially (14 days before test), my ability was exactly like the mid level sample responses. I practiced daily and made some improvement on improvising, smoothing out. Made it 22 in the test. The 8 that I left out is really tough to improve within this time frame I think.

So, if you think your ability is like the mid level, practice each day and take it after 2 weeks, if 22 does for you.

AdrienZeuch
10-29-2007, 03:14 AM
Yeah I think my speaking skills are lilke the mid level responses and I'm gonna take the exam on dezember 12, so I have time enough to prepare.
Can you tell me what is the best way to improve my speaking in 1 month and 3 weeks ? WHat I am doing is, taking some independent topics and practicing, but some of them are still hard for me; the ideias don't come.
I guess I have to improve on improvising

vesely
10-29-2007, 08:35 PM
Initially (14 days before test), my ability was exactly like the mid level sample responses. I practiced daily and made some improvement on improvising, smoothing out. Made it 22 in the test. The 8 that I left out is really tough to improve within this time frame I think.

So, if you think your ability is like the mid level, practice each day and take it after 2 weeks, if 22 does for you.
can you share one of your answers from speaking section? =) in mp3 =) just want to see what do i need to get 22

omaradib
10-30-2007, 08:13 AM
WHat I am doing is, taking some independent topics and practicing, but some of them are still hard for me; the ideias don't come.I think, many of the topics are not really familiar to us, though they say so. Otherwise, coming of ideas would not have been a problem. Here improvising plays a good role. But, how far can you go without any guidance? It is really very tough to make an algorithm approach for improvising. It is an art. Such ability only develops through practice.

Do not expect that a familiar topic will come. Rather learn how to improvise by practicing lots of topics. It must help. First of all, you may get a common topic in the exam. Secondly, if you practice a lot, you would understand, how to develop ideas when the topic is not familiar.

Consider these topic lists:

http://www.urch.com/forums/toefl-speaking/70180-toefl-ibt-speaking-section-topics.html (http://www.urch.com/forums/70180-toefl-ibt-speaking-section-topics.html)

http://www.urch.com/forums/toefl-speaking/75156-all-independant-speaking-topics-one-place.html

http://www.urch.com/forums/toefl-speaking/70779-all-speaking-topics-1-place.html

I practiced a little part of them. But, as you have enough time, make sure you do all. If you feel it boring or repelling, you are really gonna get less. You have to love it.

Now, start practicing, recording your responses. Then listen to your own response. If you find any particular topic, in which you seriously lack in ideas, take 5 mins for that topic to create ideas. I am sure, if you have enough time, you will be able to come up with some good ideas. Now, give the speech again within 45 seconds. Do it everyday. Even, consider writing the ideas, as you got enough time, you may lose your accumulations. Review the topics and review your written ideas, in case the topic seems a bit hard, before the exam day. It should be enough.

One of my independent topic was - "Tell me about an interesting career or a job you want." and it is in one of the topic lists above.

And, about mp3, well, I have to think whether I should reveal my voice identification on the net :).

AdrienZeuch
10-30-2007, 03:47 PM
I practiced a little part of them. But, as you have enough time, make sure you do all. If you feel it boring or repelling, you are really gonna get less. You have to love it.

I'm already loving it lol :grad:
Speaking for me, it's funnier than write or listening, so I'm gonna be ok
I'll focus on speaking and writing on this last month and three weeks.
Thanks a lot for your advice - such a good advice.:tup:
I had already got one of these links which contain all independent speaking topic, that's very useful. And yeah, there are some topics such as politics, and others that I am not familiar with, but I'll focus on all topics.

vesely
10-31-2007, 08:28 AM
pleeease...share just one answer :grad:

AdrienZeuch
11-07-2007, 08:06 PM
Wow, hey omarabid, this is working.
I have already made a good improovment on improvising!
In the first day when I began practicing, I couldn't find the right vocabulary and ideas to finish the response. Now, it's been a lot easier, as I'm speaking good sentences and good ideas pop out from my head, and I keep talking the whole 45 seconds, There are still some topics that I'm not familiar with but I'll practice more and more. I must thank you again for you advise and I'll keep practicing these topics until the day of my exam.
I just hope to be calm when I give the exam :P
thanks