PDA

View Full Version : hurray i did it

karthikeya reddy
10-05-2007, 12:05 PM
:tup::grad:[clap]

yes i did it this time.actually i need 26/30 in ibt speaking and i got 27/30.after all my repeated attempts i got it in my last attempt.so to me luck came in the form of first two opinion questions,when i was doin my test i was able to guess the first 2 questions by the answers given by the other test takers,so i prepared the answers very well and did it confidently and rest of the 4 questions honestly i didnt do well.so it seems from this the responses for the starting questions do make an impact on the rater regarding our performance.so try to make a good start with the opinion questions.i wish all of u success in ur test.

Englishraven
10-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Congratulations!

I thought that each answer you record went to a different rater, but perhaps I'm wrong.

I'm happy for you personally that hearing other people answering the questions helped you to excel, but goodness - that doesn't make me feel good about the overall validity of the test. What if you had been one of the first and not last people to speak? It sounds like beating the 26 line has a lot to do with luck, who you are sitting close to, and whether you get to answer before or after other test takers in the room.

Once again, congratulations to you on a job well done - I know how difficult it must be to hit that minimum.

And congratulations to you, ETS, for making such a dreadful and unreliable speaking test!

Best,

Jason

tseveteran
10-06-2007, 02:55 AM
Bravo jason,thanks a lot for writing so correctly about ETS and TOEFL.It is indeed a test of luck more than the speaking skills.God knows when NABP will understand this truth.

karthikeya reddy
10-06-2007, 02:47 PM
when i started my speaking test i did well on opinion questions and thereafter i think my responses were not really upto the mark for rest of 4 interactive questions.but it seems i was lucky to get the required score.

yannl
10-06-2007, 05:13 PM
I don't believe that if you just do good in the 1st 2 questions in speaking part you'll get a high score. In my experience I faltered speaking for the first question and wasn't able to finish waht I wanted to say. But my confidence increased and I was more focused for the remaining 5 questions which got me a score of 28. It is also better to concentrate in your own exam than trying to overhear or eavesdrop on other test takers. Just my two cents...

karthikeya reddy
10-06-2007, 07:16 PM
i never want anyone to take my way,just want to share my experience,to say its also a matter of luck or might be performance as in ur case.even if it is so ,there are many test takers though quite confidently given the test ,end up with a least score,then do u think it is only performance matters?then ur wrong,and i dont even believe u either

tseveteran
10-07-2007, 05:25 AM
YOU ARE RIGHT REDDY,IT'S MORE LUCK THAN PERFORMANCE.IF ANY ONE FEELS THAT THEY GOT THE REQUIRED SCORE BECAUSE OF THEIR PERFORMANCE,LET THEM DARE TO RETAKE THE TEST AND REPEAT THE SCORE.I think it may happen to one in a million.Sorry if I hurt any one.My intention is to make few understand that luck does matter especially for tests like Ibt.

yannl
10-08-2007, 02:30 PM
TSEVETERAN, I really feel sorry for you. If you think me a fool to fall into your "dare" ideas then you are wrong. Besides, I am confident that if I had to do my exam again, I would certainly pass it with flying colors and I don't need to prove it to you or anybody else. To say that it is just luck that makes a test taker pass the TOEFL is nonsense. Get your facts straight and your English too then maybe you'll succeed. I have classmates and friends that took the test just once and passed. Or maybe we Filipinos just know how to speak and write English that ETS deems worthy of a passing grade.Lastly, to call out someone just because she passed in one take is just an utter act of desperation.:crazy: It would certainly be a good idea too to channel your energy to more important matters---like studying and passing the TOEFL. Good luck to you!

Rx_enthu
10-18-2007, 02:51 AM
Hey guys , Stop this non-sense discussion and please donot make this forum or site, a place for regional-national or personal debate or argument.
Just post your own experince, post if you have any important material or information.
Good luck to the people who are still trying to pass the test and please go ahead in your respective career if you already passed it instead of debating that it was luck or hardwork, please...........
Hope you will get the point.

prits
10-22-2007, 08:06 PM
Hi Karthikaya,

Congrats..........You scored really good in speaking. I just wanted to know from where you given the exam? India or USA? why I am asking this is because I heared that from USA they are not so lineant to score you as from other asian countries.

tobeekulit
11-13-2007, 07:47 AM
Congratulations!
Tonight i too got the good news. I took the TOEFl Exam for Eight times (YES EIGHT TIMES !). I had to retake the test because my score in the speaking part was not sufficient to meet the NABP requirements eventhough I did very well in the other three sections. But finally on my Eight try, I had the courage to request for a rescore. My previous score was 24 ( fair-fair-good), with the help of a lot of prayers my score was changed to 26 (good-good-fair) , the funny thing is that the score for my third reponse was changed from good to fair. Anyway, my total score was bumped up from 109 to 111. And YES i finally made it! This just proves that our score (and even our future) would depend mainly on the person rating our response. Some people may rate our response as fair and some as good. Which also proves that our TOEFL scores would not accurately reflect our competency of the English laanguage. By the way, I'm also with the group (headed by KNOK) that advocates the idea of using IELTS as an alternative in assesing a candidates competency of the english language. And also looking into the required score of 26 in the speaking part for foreign graduates which we find too high and unfair, knowing that the average score of test takers whose native language is English is only 20. I just hope that NABP would be able to realize this fact.
Anyway, guys, if you do fail at your first attempt at the TOEFL Exam, Never give up. Never let this set-back dishearten you from chasing the American Dream. For the American Dream is alive and well!!!
Good luck to all and God bless!!!

Tobeekulit