PDA

View Full Version : diversity statement

little guy
11-02-2007, 09:17 PM
a bunch of school have an optional diversity statement. is it even worth doing? i mean, i think no one cares about it and it only gives me a chance to say something wrong. thoughts?

commodore
11-02-2007, 09:28 PM
I'd agree. Don't bother.

little guy
11-02-2007, 09:59 PM
i think ill take your advice, especially being that one of these schools which allow for the optional diversity statement is yale.

ForTheWin!_08
11-03-2007, 08:02 AM
Unfortunately, that diversity statement is compulsory if you want to be considered for financial aid at Berkeley, and (I think) at Stanford, Penn and Northwestern too.

Andronicus
11-03-2007, 01:19 PM
Northwestern, really? I didn't see anything about the diversity statement being compulsory for financial aid. Where did you see that?

I mean what the crap is a straight male WASP supposed to write in one of those things?

Zoethor2
11-03-2007, 01:29 PM
I skipped it on every one that I could. When I couldn't, I BSed. Did you grow up in a small town, or perhaps a city? I used my semi-rural background as "diversity".

TruDog
11-03-2007, 02:46 PM
Northwestern's application does require the diversity statement. As about the least 'diverse' American possible, I talked about how my background as a country boy who grew up working on a farm, wrestling in high school, and my first real job being making biscuits in a fast-food restaurant brings 'diversity' to the class. As I didn't get accepted to Northwestern, my statement either didn't work or I just wasn't good enough for them. Oh, well. I'm happy being one of the few country folk at Wisconsin.

Andronicus
11-03-2007, 10:49 PM
In the Northwestern online application system, it says the diversity statement is optional for all applicants. Where did you read/hear that it is required? I'm concerned because that's the only top-10 reach I have been planning to apply to, and if the diversity statement is required, then I am wasting my time. In the words of the great Jim Gaffigan "I wish I was ethnic ... I am nothing."

Guest Who
11-04-2007, 12:33 AM
For UC schools the diversity statement is required. I wouldn't blow it off either as it can bring you some money. Some of the "diversity fellowships" are retention tools: money from the university that the department can allocate.

To be specific, I'm speaking of one UC school in particular, but I think they're all the same.

needeconhelp
11-04-2007, 12:56 AM
Suppose I write a Diversity statement, do i really have to scrutinize what i write? e.g. grammer, content, clarity
I am lazy

TruDog
11-04-2007, 01:08 AM
In the Northwestern online application system, it says the diversity statement is optional for all applicants. Where did you read/hear that it is required?

Unless I misread something last year, it was required then (but that may have changed or I can't read). With that being said, I recommend that you complete it because it shows that you're at least willing to fill out all the paperwork.

Chicunomics
11-04-2007, 03:22 AM
Suppose I write a Diversity statement, do i really have to scrutinize what i write? e.g. grammer, content, clarity
I am lazy

Whenever I catch myself feeling this way about applications, I give myself a swift kick in the *** and forget that the idea of laziness ever occurred to me. The way I look at it, I've worked too damn hard up to this point to make a half-hearted attempt at the applications. And sure, things like grades and recommendations matter more than your essays or other short responses, but you never know what part of your application tips them over the line from no funding to funding, or rejection to acceptance, and it would be a shame to miss out just because of laziness...

So if you don't feel like you've worked your butt off in college to get into a good grad school and what I've said above doesn't apply...well...more power to you...

needeconhelp
11-04-2007, 03:46 AM
Whenever I catch myself feeling this way about applications, I give myself a swift kick in the *** and forget that the idea of laziness ever occurred to me. The way I look at it, I've worked too damn hard up to this point to make a half-hearted attempt at the applications. And sure, things like grades and recommendations matter more than your essays or other short responses, but you never know what part of your application tips them over the line from no funding to funding, or rejection to acceptance, and it would be a shame to miss out just because of laziness...

So if you don't feel like you've worked your butt off in college to get into a good grad school and what I've said above doesn't apply...well...more power to you...

thank you. i need to give myself a swift kick in the ***.