PDA

View Full Version : Will I be in a disadvantage if professors send their letter directly and seperately?

econdreamer
11-04-2007, 06:14 AM
The problem is: one of my letter writers prefer to use paper letter (instead of electronic letter) and prefer to send the letter directly to the graduate school or department. Some department accepts both 1) student send in all letters and materials in one set 2) letters can be sent directly by professors. Since some programs receive very large number of applications, I am worried that the letter sent directly by professors will be lost or cannot be matched with the rest of my profile.

At least two of the top 10 schools have such problem potentially, Princeton & Berkeley.

So, will I be in a disadvantage if professors send their letter directly and separately (compared with sending all material in one envelope)?

kkitkat
11-04-2007, 06:51 AM
I wouldn't worry to much about it. First of all, if some of the materials are missing the schools will ask for it. Second of all, I'm sure this isn't the first time your recommender writes a reference letter, trust him, he knows what he's doing :) And third, some of my recommenders mailed the letters directly and there weren't any problems with it as far as I know :) Just make sure that your name is spelled correctly and is the same on all the forms and letters that you and your recommenders submit.

Good luck!

commodore
11-04-2007, 10:23 PM
I had a similar situation and it was no problem. Like the above poster said, I'm sure the prof knows what he's doing.

Karina 07
11-04-2007, 11:34 PM
I wouldn't worry to much about it. First of all, if some of the materials are missing the schools will ask for it. Second of all, I'm sure this isn't the first time your recommender writes a reference letter, trust him, he knows what he's doing :) And third, some of my recommenders mailed the letters directly and there weren't any problems with it as far as I know :) Just make sure that your name is spelled correctly and is the same on all the forms and letters that you and your recommenders submit.

Good luck!

Agreed again. If you're *really* worried, you can call the schools a while after the letters were supposed to arrive to make sure they got it. But I remember getting a call from Berkeley sometime after their deadline, I think, asking where my GRE scores were (or maybe it was an e-mail), because I had taken them before changing my name, and somehow the deal with the old name got lost in translation just at that one place. And then they were like oh, right, we have them after all, nevermind, and it was all cool. But this is just to reinforce: if a school doesn't have something, it will frequently let you know, and if you're worried that it won't, it's perfectly fine to call.

Finally, there are a bunch of people who will send letters through their school's system in some way, and while it's probably not ideal for offices to receive a ton of those letters separately and have to go through the hassle of attaching them all to the right files, it's something they do know how to handle and often *have* to handle; you're not the only one.