PDA

View Full Version : Profile for masters, and then to PhD

academicus
11-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Well, my ultimate goal is to pursue my PhD in a top-5 department. Thus I will first go for a masters degree, not sure which one though.

PROFILE:

Undergrad Institution: small private school in turkey, top-3 in country but not in the econ rankings
Undergrad Majors: Economics, Mathematics(minor)
Undergrad GPA: 3.8 overall, 3.9 Economics, 3.7 Math
Ranking: 1st among the ones with econ major, math minor, 2nd in the economics. (first guy takes accounting courses solely)
GRE: did not take yet, but it will be 800Q/420ishV
Math Courses: two year calculus (single-multi variable) both A-, linear algebra B- (i know, i know, i hated the teacher), discrete math A-, probability A, statistics A, Real Analysis A, Abstract Algebra B+, Topology, Functional Analysis, Stochastic Processes, Measure Theory. (these are yet to be graded, mostly A's and A-'s)

Econ Courses: Intro Micro A, intro macro A, intro games A, econometrics A, industrial organization A, advanced micro A, game theory A, independent study A, welfare A-, public B+.

Other Courses: intro to computer science A.

Research Experience: a concrete but unfinished work on Oligopolistic Market Replikas, using Shapley-Shubik markets.

Letters of Recommendation: A very strong one from a new-publisher economist who got his PhD from UMN, one strong one from my real-analysis prof, from Berkeley, the other one will be good, with his PhD from BU.

Teaching Experience: Game Theory TA.

Research Interests: Game Theory, Micro theory, Social Choice.

SOP: yet to see: ).

Other: executive of the MUN club for 3 years, got various awards form it.

Basically, i am looking for a masters programme that will bounce me to the top-5 programs. Any suggestions? These are the schools in my mind:

carlos iii, upf, ubc, uwo, lse (if any scholarship is available)

what do you think?

taka_sukunami
11-04-2007, 04:52 PM
These are the schools in my mind:

carlos iii, upf, ubc, uwo, lse (if any scholarship is available)

what do you think?

I'd say given your record it shouldn't be a problem getting into a few of these schools. As for getting into the top 5, a lot would depend on how well you do in your masters. Good luck! :)

tangsiuje
11-04-2007, 06:00 PM
I believe that your profile is very strong for getting onto a master's program at least. As taka_sukunami pointed out, your master's level performance would be the major determinant for phd admissions.

According to the people at my university (Warwick), it is essentially impossible to get financial assistance to study an MSc at LSE, unless you commit yourself to doing the MRes+PhD route. This is the case for almost all British universities, although there could be smaller funding opportunities at individual Oxbridge colleges.

I'm aiming for the same kind of master's program as you (my BSc is 3 years only), but with a strong bias for Canadian ones. My long-term goal is more like getting in somewhere around top30, however. ;) I (and some of my English/Canadian profs) believe that I have a decent chance at MA Econ at UBC, Queen's and Toronto, and your profile is stronger than mine, especially with regard to maths classes. On the other hand, my GPA is kind of 4.0, and my GRE verbal a little bit better than yours but still not very good (non-native speaker too). I guess there could be some issues with recognizing your qualifications if they're not used to Turkish applicants, but I'm sure your recommenders could alleviate this.

Best of Luck. :)

academicus
11-04-2007, 07:50 PM
I believe that your profile is very strong for getting onto a master's program at least. As taka_sukunami pointed out, your master's level performance would be the major determinant for phd admissions.

According to the people at my university (Warwick), it is essentially impossible to get financial assistance to study an MSc at LSE, unless you commit yourself to doing the MRes+PhD route. This is the case for almost all British universities, although there could be smaller funding opportunities at individual Oxbridge colleges.

I'm aiming for the same kind of master's program as you (my BSc is 3 years only), but with a strong bias for Canadian ones. My long-term goal is more like getting in somewhere around top30, however. ;) I (and some of my English/Canadian profs) believe that I have a decent chance at MA Econ at UBC, Queen's and Toronto, and your profile is stronger than mine, especially with regard to maths classes. On the other hand, my GPA is kind of 4.0, and my GRE verbal a little bit better than yours but still not very good (non-native speaker too). I guess there could be some issues with recognizing your qualifications if they're not used to Turkish applicants, but I'm sure your recommenders could alleviate this.

Best of Luck. :)

my university offers a MA programme also, and they place the graduates mainly to top30 schools, including northwestern, nyu, cornell etc. but i'm really bored in here, and want to enjoy some different schools and profs. but when doing that, i want to minimize the uncertainty of my placement after masters. I heard, queens and toronto are not that well with the placement, and upf sends to top-5 almost every year. so i am kind of in between. i can get into UBC i believe, but i've heard the relation among profs and ma students is really poor.

to cut the long story short, i want a ma program where you can actually do research with the profs. just like my own university now: )

filroz
11-04-2007, 09:00 PM
Is a jump of few places in rankings worth one year of your life? I mean you have great profile already and top5 admission is claimed here to be quite random anyway, so...

tangsiuje
11-04-2007, 09:01 PM
I think it's all relative. If you look around, it seems like Queen's places on par with UBC, but that Toronto does a bit worse. It seems like LSE wouldn't be a great place for you, since the rumour goes that MSc classes are huge and impersonal (well-known for its rigour (and fees!) though). As for relations with profs, you might want to look into some really tiny programmes, but personally, I think that you can't really expect the same level of attention as PhD students receive. My experience is that it comes down to the individual profs as well: I once had a prof who learnt the names of the 88 students in her class and were very concerned with each of us. Others can teach a class of 12 without caring to learn a single name.

UPF has put some placement listings on their website, which I looked through a couple of weeks ago. My impression was that they placed quite an impressing number at Chicago (given how excellent a place that is supposed to be!), but that not a whole lot in slightly lesser American universities (maybe because they could get into better European ones?). If I were to make a guess, the people who ended up in Chicago were most certainly absolutely brilliant even before embarking on their Master's program.

My own reasons not to apply to UPF are really that I kind of would have to learn some Spanish at some point to have a decent social life, and that my boyfriend is in the US (American). The program itself seems to be just as good as the Canadian ones or even better. If you think you'd like it, definitely go for it! :)