PDA

View Full Version : Need help in clarifications of "misunderstanding"

dixiechick
11-07-2007, 09:18 PM
Hello,guys:

I was now concurrently in a Ph.D program for Sociology and a M.S program in economics in the U.S and planned to shoot for another Ph.D in Economics in 2009. I was told by several applicants that I probably will be in an disadvantegeous position in the application because I will have a Ph.D in Sociology when I apply. Is it true or just a "rumor" (I hope)? Thanks.

Golden Rule
11-07-2007, 09:44 PM
I think you're fine as long as you explain yourself. Sounds like something that should come up in your personal statement. Adcoms are real people who understand the English language, not bots who sort applications based on single phrases in CVs.

Of course, if you don't have a good story about why you want to pursue an Econ PhD, you'd be at just as much a disadvantage as any other clueless applicant. Whoever told you the story I think has the causation mixed up -- people jumping around between PhD programs are more likely to be clueless, than those applying to their first one. So provided you know what you're doing, I wouldn't worry.

buckykatt
11-07-2007, 11:36 PM
From what I've read on various econ department web sites, you might have trouble getting funding for a second Ph.D. I haven't seen anything that suggests that you'll be at a disadvantage in applying for admission, though.

dixiechick
11-08-2007, 06:38 AM
Thanks Golden Rule and Buckykatt. I have a more specific question for Buckykatt: can you give me 1 or 2 examples for this kind of school? and an extended question: is the funding you are talking about referred as merit based scholarship? I am an international student in the U.S. I definitely need those so called TA or RA scholarship. Thanks.

reactor
11-08-2007, 08:53 AM
There are some schools (I think Harvard or Chicago) that state that they will rarely consider applicants already holding a PhD but unless you find something like that in an obvious place in the application-info-website, I would not worry. Of course you'll have to justify why the first PhD is not enough.
I imagine that getting a TAship or RAship will be easier if you already have a PhD (in a relevant field like sociology).

buckykatt
11-09-2007, 12:59 AM
Sorry, dixiechick. Since I don't already have a Ph.D. myself, I merely noted the info in passing. But I suspect that reactor's comment is on target.

This is probably one of those circumstances where consulting someone at the programs where you plan to apply is a good idea.

dixiechick
11-09-2007, 01:35 AM
Thanks, Buckykatt and Reactor. :) You guys are very nice. I will start my application next year. I am working on my applied econometric model on health economics now and that will be also one of my field interest in economics. Good luck to all people who already started their application this year!