PDA

View Full Version : About the importance of LORs...

lidolon
11-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Hello everybody, I've begun to work on the applications for next year and I'm REALLY worried about LORs...

My profile is good:

i) Maths B.Sc. in a good university (and in the "honor college" of it) and Maths M.Sc. in the best research center of my country: both GPA almost perfect.

ii) Actually attending a "first-year-PhD-level" master in Economics to get some good knowledge in Micro and Macro.

iii) GRE: 800Q, 700V and I still don't know AWA, I expect 5 or 5.5

iv) TOEFL: 103 IbT , but since almost all of the lost points are because of the spoken part (explain yourself in 45 sec?! It's crazed!), I'm going to take it again.

Actually, I'm quite satisfied :grad: , but the LORs are my problem... One will be written by my Maths advisor, he knows me quite well and he is a well-known expert in his field - and that's ok, even if he does not fully support my decision to pass to the Economics. But the other two should be from economists, I think, and I do not know many of them.
So I can obtain them, but either from profs who taught to me years ago - and support me completely - or by prof from the master that I'm beginning to attend and do not know me well (the examinations will be after most of the deadlines... :()

So, what can I expect with my curriculum, but also with probably far from shining LORs?

Ancalagon The Black
11-08-2007, 10:51 AM
interesting, which country and which university did you say you were in?

lidolon
11-08-2007, 02:42 PM
Italy, the bachelor university was the dear old Bologna, while for the master I was at ISAS (or SISSA in Italian), the International School for Advanced Studies of Trieste...

doubtful
11-09-2007, 06:06 AM
try UK first... u can reasonably enter into a LSE program *if I remember well there is one named "economics and complexity" that seems perfect for you* ... about US.. you have some good shots for sure... but to be sure to enter in a top 20 program I would wait till next year with the master done and the LOR secured... do you have any publication?

I am from Italy too.