PDA

View Full Version : About the Masters Models and Methods of Quantitative Economics (QEM)

tim1012
11-08-2007, 04:57 PM
Greetings,

I have been looking for masters program in order to prepare for a phd. Does anyone have an idea of how dificult is to get in to his masters program and how is the competition for the erasmus fellowships?

Thanks in advanced,

erasmus mundus (http://www.univ-paris1.fr/formation/eco_gestion/ufr27/study-in-english/erasmus_mundus/article4774.html)

asianeconomist
11-08-2007, 06:07 PM
Yeah, I am looking at this program too. The coursework looks rigorous. The admission rate sends out the signal that it is not an easy program to get into.

Btw, take a look at the similar program called MSc Economic Analysis at Autonoma Barcelona.

tim1012
11-08-2007, 10:45 PM
Yeah, that`s one of my options. But this programs looks very interesting, because you get to study in at leat two diferent universities. How about the msc in Quantitative Economics at the university of Alicante, have you seen that program?

asianeconomist
11-10-2007, 05:13 PM
No. Also, I really do not think that the program at Alicante will provide the same degree of rigor. Take a look at MMEF @ Sorbonne. It's basically the same course-work.

blistering barnacles
11-10-2007, 10:43 PM
last year a guy from my school(bs math, first class) got into the qem. 2 others from the same school(ba econ, first class) all got dinged. the qem is a good program(very rigorous and math intensive), and i dont know how the sequence is like this year but a transcript from pantheone-sorbonne and the others will take you quite a long way in phd admissions. as for the erasmus mundus scholarships, believe me they are competitive. it will surprise you how competitive even some 'less in demand' programs are. besides some programs( i doubt the qem is part) have country quotas and other confusing stuff. bureaucratic. it will go here, it will come here. good luck!

you guys can also take a look at ecole polytechnique. Ecole Polytechnique (http://www.polytechnique.edu) they also have a master in quantitative econ. another prestigious french school. their program has links to columbia but ecole polytechnique has history and bragging rights on their own.

in spain my opinion is that univ alicante will come after upf and uab in terms of quality and prestige of their master program.

the mmef is good but i doubt it's part of the erasmus mundus. you might have to pay(i'm assuming you prefer a free ride to dishing out thousands of euros). another good aspect of the qem is that it is a 'free ride'.quality education for free...but you must win the scholarship first.

adam_smith
03-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Tim1012, I just got an e-mail--I got into this one too. But the financial part seems a little puzzling. So it's about EUR 4,000 for the first year, and I suppose the same for the second? I don't even know for the second. In any case, as I read in the instructions I could qualify for some scholarship, for that reason I had to send an e-mail once I submitted the application explaining why I may need fin assistance. Well, I never got reply of that e-mail. So I donno how good is the program, the courses look tough enough, but then the whole program sound like a money machine or program where intellectually curious children go to. It looks like a luxurious good to me. I wonder of there is smb who actually has gone there from TM...

Smileysquared
03-05-2008, 03:15 PM
It seems quite difficult to get into. I recently applied to this same program but wasn't accepted. I think I see my problem now though-I thought the MMEF was part of the program. When I looked on the website under the section that said QEM Masters which gave a list of all the masters programs there the MMEF was listed. But when I went to the website to submit my form they had the QEM option being different from the MMEF option on which my entire application was based...lol..so that was my problem. They should be abit clearer though..................

adam_smith
03-05-2008, 05:00 PM
I agree--they should be clearer. That's why I am skeptical in general about European state-style school (and I am from Europe). I just don't think I can deal psychically with all their bureaucracy and paper verbosity. For instance, I imagine course registration in a different European university each time would mean walking around offices for weeks. Correct me if I am wrong.

Smileysquared
03-05-2008, 05:08 PM
I only realised that something was wrong when I had already submitted my application and when the cursors choices came up. I tried to convince myself there was some other reason and hoped for the best but I guess it wasn't like that...lol.
If you are thinking about a PhD in Financial Economics there are schools like Oxford (MFE) and LSE (MSc. Financial Economics. So you have options.

tim1012
03-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Congrats Adam Smith, you`ve gotten into really good programs. In my opinion this program is really rigorous and its a great preparation for further studies in economics. Also, I felt attracted to the program because it allows you to spend time in at least 2 diferent european countries.

In my oppinion the Carlos III program is really good in terms of statistics, finance (depending your specialization), and maybe math, so would be a good choice. I think I would choose it over the UPF`s finance program, but not over the economics one. As I have heard, NYU`s program is good, but notvery good preparation for phd. If I had the opportunity to go there, I would go, because NY is the best city in the world, and this degree is really respected in my country. If I were you I would be really, really happy with my choice problems, :).

In my case, I didnt do very well on the GRE, so Im in trouble. I applied to CEMFI (but not expecting an acceptance), UAB applied economics program (accepted) and waiting on Brandeis. As for funding I applied to becas MAE AECI, and expecting to get it for UAB, and applying to government funding in case I get accepted at brandeis.

Well, good luck with the programs you still havent heard from, and congrats for those you`ve had.

gs25
03-05-2008, 05:57 PM
What do you think about Columbia's QMSS (Quantitative Methods in the Social Sciences) Master?

bubblygeek
06-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Hi everyone! I got into the graduate program of University of Alicante for Quantitative Economics. Have you heard anything about it?

Thanks!

BG

faulkner
06-08-2008, 08:18 PM
The program, and the department as well are pretty strong in micro theory and experimental econ. I think Alicante come just after Autonoma Barcelona in micro theory between spanish universities. A brilliant theorist of social networks was there for a long time but recently moved to EUI.
Are you asking for some specific informations?

bubblygeek
06-20-2008, 07:06 AM
Thank you so much for the response faulkner. With regards to their specialization in Quantitative Economics, is the program rigorous enough to prepare me for a career in research? I heard from 20 students during the first year of the program, only half of them remain after the second year.

BG

Vision123
08-21-2008, 08:28 AM
Hello Everyone,

I am really facing a difficult time. I have two options.

Option1: Erasmus Mundus Scholarship for the QEM program (Europe)(France and Germany)

Option2: M.S in Applied Economics from Illinois State University (U.S.A)

both the options are fully funded. However, for the Option 2, I have received RA ship and Tuition Waver. But in Europe it is a full scholarship for everything(room and board and studies, everything) and Full medical insurance as well.

Although the studies in Europe are in English but I do not know French and neither German and I will be studying first semester in Paris and the remaining 1.5 years in Germany. I will be made to learn both the languages at a basic level. Full course work in Euope is in English....

I will not be doing a PHd after my masters and I am looking forward to get a good job in the corporate sector (in Finance, banks, insurance etc...) anywhere in the world after doing masters either from Europe or U.S. What you think is a better place to go for that matter.

I am really confused to death.....Please help!!!:(

tennisboy85
08-21-2008, 10:17 AM
I have spent the summer at QEM and there are several things that I noted. The most important is that the program is extremely mathematical, there is probably more math than econ. Thus, you need a very preparation in math to be successful. Thus, I think it is a good preparation for a PhD and it seems that many people from the program are planning to get one.
There are however several problems with the program:
- it is very disorganized, the schedule is being changed all the time, people do not really know what classes they need to take in order to graduate (because it is being changed all the time)
- some of the classes were at a too high level (or being taught too fast), there was hardly anyone (or sometimes noone) knowing what was going on
- I spent my semester in Paris, but I heard from people that their time in Bielefeld was miserable, in the math classes there most students had no idea what was going on in class and thus ended up failing them or receiving a very bad grade (most of them retook it in Bielefeld again)
- I tried to find out about their placements, but they do not have any info yet because the program is so new

On the positive side though:
- many people are smart and form a pretty nice community within the program
- Paris is nice as hell
- teaches you to study independently and outside of classes
- Fulbright is a prestigious scholarship and you can even safe some of the money they give you

All in all I would still choose QEM, because I think your opportunities after graduation will be a lot better. If you want any more info, PM me.

Palikari
08-22-2008, 02:43 PM
Do not go to ISU!!! The QEM program is certainly a much better option.

I am an American student from Illinois (U. of Illinois though, not ISU) who is currently doing the QEM program, so I can probably offer you the best advice on the issue. ISU has a very bad reputation in the state of Illinois, and is fairly unknown anywhere else. A common joke is that ISU stands for "I Screwed Up."

The QEM program is quite rigorous in terms of mathematics, so if you are unsure about your mathematical background this should factor into your decision.

The QEM program is certainly great preparation for going into a PhD program or doing research later. As far private sector jobs are concerned, it really depends on how proactive you are in your search and what kind of job you are seeking. The program certainly provides great preparation for Quant jobs, but the coursework is extremely theoretical and generally geared towards research. Also, there are no career services as you find in US or UK schools. You have to search for internships and jobs entirely on your own. Professors are generally very nice and helpful and if you ask them for anything they try to accommodate you, but don't expect to be able to walk into a good job as you would with an Ivy MBA or an Oxbridge/LSE MSc.

Also, the course a somewhat strange calendar, ending in late July and beginning in late September, making it difficult to find an internship. I did an internship over the summer, but I had to take classes while working, which basically means my life was work/study/sleep for two months!

Feel free to message me if you have any questions.

Vision123
08-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Hello Palikari,:grad:

I think we both are walking in the same path. No doubt you are much much more experienced then me. Please help me out in one last thing

I am convinced that I must go to QEM, however, please note that my Math level is not that high. I am listing down the courses (with grades) I have done in my BSc (Economics):

MATH 101 Calculus-I A-
MATH 102 Calculus-II A-
MATH 103 Multivariate Calculus A-
MATH 131 Probability A
MATH 221 Linear Algebra B+
MATH 231 Statistics A-
MATH 211 Ordinary Differential Equations A-
MATH 201 Set Theory B+

I have done econometrics 1 and 2 as well Advanced Macro and Advanced Micro with A grades and A minuses

I have not taken "Real Analysis" neither have any idea about stotastic process and will have to learn them here at QEM. Though I have done "Set Theory" but got a B+ (with a lot of difficulty).

However, one of my friend from my university is also doing QEM. His name is Bilal Khan (hope you know him), he completed his bachelors in June 2007 and then went in this program. He says that I can cover up the math things by taking necesary math courses and so it is not much of a problem, though failing courses in Belefeld is always a higher possibility

Now you have my whole picture with grades of the math courses, do you think that I will be albe to do the Math at QEM. Given that I am average in Math (if u are talking about high level math like "real analysis" ) and can get satisfactory passing grades with a LOT of effort.

Also, note that everything is funded at QEM, it is just that I need to study and do you think I will be able to do some enjoyment as well.....what is your advice?? Is QEM still better to go than ISU??

And lastly what pay level can i expect after doing masters from ISU in U.S??

Thanks a lot Man

Other people are also welcome to give their opinion..

Gecko
08-23-2008, 02:00 AM
well... if you want a good paying job, I don't see how all those pure math courses will contribute much, as the industry typically uses applied maths (regression, numerical methods and so on). So maybe you could take less "abstract" math courses at Bielefield

Palikari
08-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Hi, if you know Bilal do you know Ali? I don't know Bilal personally but I know he and Ali are friends. He's also from LUMS and doing the QEM program. He could also probably give you advice since he will have a better idea regarding your background in math. Feel free to PM me and I can give you his email.

I think that you have enough of a math basis to do the QEM program as long as you are willing to work hard the first semester. You will probably have to take some extra math courses, but I think you will be able to manage it and catch up. Luckily you are in Paris first semester, so you have the option of taking extra intro math courses to catch up. In Bielefeld these courses are not offered first semester, or at least were not offered first semester last year.

If you want to do Finance, yeah, you have to learn Stochastic processes but you can learn that in the QEM program. This will be taught in the Finance courses.

I have no idea about the ISU salaries, but I would imagine that they are quite low. Also I think that it will be very difficult to find a job in the Chicago market from ISU. Really, the places to go in Illinois are Northwestern, U.Chicago and U.Illinois, don't consider ISU or anywhere else in the state.

Bargalhao
08-24-2008, 06:09 PM
Hello Palikari,:grad:

I think we both are walking in the same path. No doubt you are much much more experienced then me. Please help me out in one last thing

I am convinced that I must go to QEM, however, please note that my Math level is not that high. I am listing down the courses (with grades) I have done in my BSc (Economics):

MATH 101 Calculus-I A-
MATH 102 Calculus-II A-
MATH 103 Multivariate Calculus A-
MATH 131 Probability A
MATH 221 Linear Algebra B+
MATH 231 Statistics A-
MATH 211 Ordinary Differential Equations A-
MATH 201 Set Theory B+

I have done econometrics 1 and 2 as well Advanced Macro and Advanced Micro with A grades and A minuses

Other people are also welcome to give their opinion..

Do like me. I have a BsC in Economics. No RA, no Stochastics, no ODE, not even Calculus III. What I have is a strong liking in Mathematical Economics. You could see that in the SOP. In the list of my Math courses I put Game Theory, Econometrics and Operations Research as Math. Hell I even put "Macroeconomics of Growth" because we basically covered all of Barro/Sala-i-Martin, which is pretty technical and mathematical. So in total I had 13 math courses in a BsC in Econ, no Minors, etc etc. Not all of the QEM Courses have mathematical names in them.
Also Iīm very disappointed with the QEM organisation. They were supposed to find housing for us, itīs what stated in their website. But guess what, they didnīt this year, for 8 of us. And some more comments here make me fear the worst is yet to come.

Vision123
08-26-2008, 05:39 AM
Hi Palikari,
Yes I know both. As I am from LUMS too. Ali will be joining again in late September. Although I am in contact with Bilal and not Ali. They were a year senior than me and hence graduated before. Yes Ali's e-mail address and yours as well will be of great help. Please do give them. I will give you mine but can we give e-mail addresses in this forum (I hope it is not against the policy of this forum), do let me know!!

There is one more problem, the French Embassy has not given me the Visa as yet. I do not know what to do. I have called them several times and they say that "just wait for the Call". Also, you are not allowed to go in the Embassy to meet any person. Bilal got the Visa just two days before going. I do not know what they will do to me this time. No call from them yet and it is 26th August already? Any comments??

Palikari
08-26-2008, 02:32 PM
Feel free to private message me your email. I dont really want to put my email on the forum since then advertisers may obtain it and I will recieve 600 annoying emails a day.

Ancalagon The Black
08-27-2008, 07:25 PM
Last year, 4 guys from the same department (stat-math unit) got the Erasmus Mundus Scholarship from my current school. Its highly competitive and they take only the best. The QEM program was chosen by one of the guys. He says that its really good.