PDA

View Full Version : Fordham University Econ Phd

IntEcon80
11-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Any information about the selectivity of the Phd program in Econ at Fordham and other relevant info. I have not found any discussions at all about this particular program here in TM. It is certainly not a top program. I am looking at safeties and I thought Fordham might be a good one especially since they appear to have a lot of faculty working in monetary Econ. Any info folks???

YoungEconomist
11-11-2007, 09:08 PM
I imagine it's not very selective. You should research it some more though, I think they offer a lot of non-traditional fields like Marx Econ and Feminist Econ. If you're interested in that stuff than it's probably a good safety, but if not you might want to look elsewhere.

IntEcon80
11-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Feminist Econ??? wow, I never knew such a field existed. So some people do actually devote time to studying feminist Econ, very interesting !! Thanks for your input, I will do more research about the fordham program.

YoungEconomist
11-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Feminist Econ??? wow, I never knew such a field existed. So some people do actually devote time to studying feminist Econ, very interesting !! Thanks for your input, I will do more research about the fordham program.

Yeah, I was confused the first time I saw that a school offered such a field because I didn't know it existed.

On Greg Mankiw's blog recently he posted this:
Principles of Feminist Economics (http://www.facstaff.bucknell.edu/gschnedr/FemPrcpls.htm)

Now that I think about it though, I believe I am getting Fordham confused with another program.

Tex Jansen
11-12-2007, 01:35 AM
Fordham is almost a part time Ph.D. program. It gets a lot of older people who work (e.g. at the UN) while pursuing their degree. Most never finish. It does not do well with academic placements but does place somewhat better at places like NGOs.

The depertment actually places more energy into its masters programs, some of which are quite good. It is, however, a mainstream program. It is not Marxist. You may be thinking of the New School which is also in NYC.

IntEcon80
11-13-2007, 12:27 AM
Fordham is almost a part time Ph.D. program. It gets a lot of older people who work (e.g. at the UN) while pursuing their degree. Most never finish. It does not do well with academic placements but does place somewhat better at places like NGOs.

The depertment actually places more energy into its masters programs, some of which are quite good. It is, however, a mainstream program. It is not Marxist. You may be thinking of the New School which is also in NYC.

do you have any inside info why many never finish the degree?

Tex Jansen
11-13-2007, 03:54 PM
A typical Ph.D. program is five years with periods of discouragement. If you are trying to do it part time, then you may be looking at 8-10 years. That is a long time and my guess is, at some point, many people lose their commitment and drop out.

I would be curious as to whether GMU has a similar problem.