PDA

View Full Version : Minority fellowships

polkaparty
11-12-2007, 12:59 AM
If an application asks if you want to be considered for a minority fellowship and you're not a minority and you check yes, do you think this negatively affects your application?

notacolour
11-12-2007, 01:14 AM
Uhhh...why check yes?

polkaparty
11-12-2007, 01:16 AM
Because, assuming there's not a negative effect, there's no cost to selecting yes, and there is perhaps a slight possibility of being awarded aid if you select yes, and a guarantee of not getting aid if you select no.

notacolour
11-12-2007, 01:30 AM
I don't see how there's a guarantee of not getting aid if you choose no. There's other aid, for which you're actually eligible. And yeah, I could see a possible cost to checking it.

I guess if you expect people not to, you know, read the rest of your application, that's one thing. But I would personally avoid checking boxes that don't apply to me.

polkaparty
11-12-2007, 01:45 AM
The question specifically asks if you wish to be considered for minority scholarships, nothing more. It doesn't ask if you're a minority. It doesn't say "only minorities receive these scholarships".

I have heard of non-minorities receiving minority scholarships before, so it's not a ridiculous question.

By "and a guarantee of not getting aid if you select no" I meant a guarantee of not getting that specific aid, not all aid in general.