PDA

View Full Version : Adcoms

Oikos
11-12-2007, 11:28 PM
Does anybody know anything about who is gonna be in the admissions committees this time? Specially TOP 10 programs

YoungEconomist
11-13-2007, 12:11 AM
Does anybody know anything about who is gonna be in the admissions committees this time? Specially TOP 10 programs

Yeah, I heard Milton Friedman is calling all the shots for any program in the top 20.

buckykatt
11-13-2007, 12:22 AM
Yeah, but who's manning the ouija board? ;)

YoungEconomist
11-13-2007, 12:47 AM
Yeah, but who's manning the ouija board? ;)

I don't know. Take your pick. Maybe Becker?;)

asianeconomist
11-13-2007, 12:06 PM
What if all the top 10 departments got together and established a Common Admissions Committee (CAC). This committee will consist of members from each school ( & hence would probably be partially impartial ) and depending upon the degree of match between applicants interests & school strengths, select applicants.

This entire construction wouldn't affect me though, I am not applying to anything near the top 10 ;) :rolleyes: :(

Antichron
11-13-2007, 12:51 PM
What if all the top 10 departments got together and established a Common Admissions Committee (CAC). This committee will consist of members from each school ( & hence would probably be partially impartial ) and depending upon the degree of match between applicants interests & school strengths, select applicants.

This entire construction wouldn't affect me though, I am not applying to anything near the top 10 ;) :rolleyes: :(

That sounds like it would result in lower stipends. :doh:

asianeconomist
11-13-2007, 01:06 PM
Are you referring to the fact that schools often offer "premiums" to top students (larger funding) as an incentive to ensure their loyalty ?

asianecon
11-13-2007, 02:09 PM
They will all just collude...but then again maybe collusion is not sustainable.

But I think someday there should be like one depository for all supplementary material. It's a waste of resources (paper, money, time) preparing 20 or so supplementary packages that are all identical, save for the SOP. Information should be centralized, while decisions remaining decentralized

Maybe some entrepreneurial-minded people here can do this. Say, start with the UCs then just expand.

vicarious
11-14-2007, 02:58 AM
Who will decide which school is in top 10? :)

YoungEconomist
11-14-2007, 05:10 AM
Who will decide which school is in top 10? :)

Again, my money is on Dr. Friedman. Better discount who he chooses as program number 1 though.

Oikos
11-15-2007, 10:58 PM
Besides Friedman, who will be present as a spirit in all committees, I heard that Edward Miguel coordinated Berkeley Adcom last year and I guess he will do it again.

Does anybody have other guess?

Elly
11-16-2007, 01:51 AM
Besides Friedman, who will be present as a spirit in all committees, I heard that Edward Miguel coordinated Berkeley Adcom last year and I guess he will do it again.

Miguel is at Stanford for the year, so I'm not sure I'd count on that.

Olm
11-16-2007, 01:53 AM
I think the point of the replies to this thread was to show that knowing who's on the adcoms isn't going to help you one bit. In economics, you don't want to pester people before you are admitted. Maybe it's worked in isolated cases, but in general, just leave them alone. Economics is just about the most competitive field for PhD.

thewhiterabbit
11-18-2007, 02:48 PM
Does anyone (nudge, antichron) know if Peter Temin will sit this year or next year on MIT's admissions committee, or if he usually does?

savingtheplanet
11-18-2007, 08:40 PM
I think the point of the replies to this thread was to show that knowing who's on the adcoms isn't going to help you one bit. In economics, you don't want to pester people before you are admitted. .

It doesnt help to pester faculty yourself. It does help if your letter-writers know these people and pester them for you.

Antichron
11-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Hey thewhiterabbit,

I'm not sure who is going to be on the admissions committee this year. (I suspect it would not be okay for me to make it public knowledge, even if I did know.) Sorry! :-(

zappa24
11-20-2007, 12:29 AM

Does anybody have other guess?

What's with all the "invisible hands" guiding the admit committees?

YoungEconomist
11-20-2007, 01:40 AM
What's with all the "invisible hands" guiding the admit committees?

Clever zappa. I like it! :D

constrainedoptimizer
11-20-2007, 04:39 AM

It could be like the NBA draft with the lowest ranking schools from last year getting the first pick of fresh econ undergrads from the top 5.

I think I'll be among the scrubs going to open tryouts.

econphilomath
11-21-2007, 01:37 PM
I think I'll be among the scrubs going to open tryouts.

LOL.

I really wish there were try outs!