PDA

View Full Version : 300 , essay 6.0 on November 11th 2003

eagle
11-11-2003, 07:41 PM
Hi Everyone, just gave my TOEFL. I had been a bit worried, since I did not prepare a lot, but am very happy with my scores:D
Listening:30
structure: 30
Reading comprehension:30
Essay:6.0
Total :300
Had an essay on 'written vs. complaints in person', just finished it in time. Will be glad to help out anyone or answer queries.
[banana]Again, thanks a lot to TestMagic and everyone here.[banana]
[bounce]Just got the complete scores- have edited the msg[bounce]

Carol.T
11-11-2003, 08:12 PM
Wow! Great Scores, eagle![w00t]
I am just starting to prepare for my TOEFL - any advice?

Carol

brohiksa
11-12-2003, 03:46 AM
HI EAGLE

CONGRATS FOR GOOD SCORE

WOULD YOU PLEASE GUIDE ME REGARDING LISTENING ...MY SCORE IN LISTNING (LONGER TALKS AND DISCUSSION) IS BAD...I TRIED TO CONCENTRATE BUT.....

WOULD YOU PLEASE ADVISE FOR TOEFL PREPARATION ESPECIALLY LISTENING AND OTHERS...AND HOW DID YOU PREPARE YOUR TOEFL

THANKS

ALI

eagle
11-12-2003, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Carol.T

Wow! Great Scores, eagle![w00t]
I am just starting to prepare for my TOEFL - any advice?

Carol

HI Carol,
If you speak English in its correct grammatical form daily- then you should have no problem with most of the TOEFL.
For starters, I'd advice you to do any one complete test- either of the Powerprep cd or if you want to save that for later then maybe Barrons cd. find out your particular weaknesses and concentrate on them.
I found the barrons cd particularly helpful since I started prep really late, like 2 days before the exam. The Barrons CD points out your mistakes ( in the model tests) and refers you to similar problems and the page nos. in the Barrons Book.
That really helped hone my structure part.
Tell me how this sounds i.e. if it is helpful. Any more specific questions are welcome.

eagle
11-12-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by brohiksa

HI EAGLE

CONGRATS FOR GOOD SCORE

WOULD YOU PLEASE GUIDE ME REGARDING LISTENING ...MY SCORE IN LISTNING (LONGER TALKS AND DISCUSSION) IS BAD...I TRIED TO CONCENTRATE BUT.....

WOULD YOU PLEASE ADVISE FOR TOEFL PREPARATION ESPECIALLY LISTENING AND OTHERS...AND HOW DID YOU PREPARE YOUR TOEFL

THANKS

ALI

Hi Ali, the best and only way to handle listening is concentration. Nothing can replace that. Try closing your eyes, staring at nothing, staring at the screen ... anything. Keep practising till you feel you can remember the gist of conversations/lectures.
It is pretty much like trying to make mental notes while sitting in lectures. The English is pretty much simple to understand and the talks are generally focussed on one central topic. So find out what the topic in discussion is and what is discussed abt it.
I practised mainly with the Powerprep Cd and some of the Barrons CD tests, till I felt I could concentrate well enough.
I think listening to and remembering News Headlines can be additional practise too- but you have to decide for yourself.
Again, like I told Carol, find out your particular weaknesses and concentrate on them.
I prepared with the Powerprep and Barrons CDs and did some slogging the day before the test.But that was mainly since I started prep so late. I think you should spend the day before TOEFL just going through whatever you are not so good at and general looking over stuff.
More questions if any, are welcome.

forever 21
11-12-2003, 07:07 PM
Hi eagle! I'm so glad that you got a very good score. I know you deserve to get a score like that. Anyway, I just want to ask you if the real TOEFL is exactly the same with the TOEFL POWERPREP CD disributed by the ETS. Thanks.....

eagle
11-12-2003, 08:06 PM
Thank You! forever21:-)Yes, the TOEFL powerprep is in very much the same format as the test itself. You have the same screen, the same volume control and the same icons etc.I found all the questions of a similiar difficulty level too.Even the question sequence is the same. The number of questions in individual sections- esp. reading comprehension can vary.Hope that answers your question.

prglen
11-12-2003, 09:30 PM
Hi Eagle

Its amazing score buddy , I think you can make more than 290 . I really appreciate . I have exam in last week of nov . I am nevrous now , thinking of postponing it . I have read cliffs book , kaplan book , working on barrons now . Still worried abt . Pl Gimme your guidance . I still have 11 days .
How difficult was your exam . I know it varies person to person .
provide me your suggestions and tips .
Is TIME enough . Which section you think requires more time .
Which book you think better out of barrons,cliffs ,kaplan .
Did you go through any of resources like downdowndown.net , tanisha.org etc.

Prglen

forever 21
11-12-2003, 10:58 PM
Hi eagle! Thank you for your reply. Would you mind if I ask you one more question? Actually, I purchased the TOEFL POWERPREP CD from ETS but I'm having a hard time reviewing the review material because there is no answer key to all section of the test. I am not sure with all of my answers. Where can I find the answers especially in reading comprehension section? I'll be taking the TOEFL at the end of this month. Thank you in advance....

Carol.T
11-13-2003, 12:14 AM
Thanks for your advice eagle!
Good luck for your application![bounce]

Carol

ghanta
11-13-2003, 02:09 PM
Hai Eagle

congratulation for good score
i got TOEFL score 40-180. I have a problem in reading comphehension.
how I will improve score in reading section

ghanta

eagle
11-13-2003, 04:31 PM
Thank you Prlgen,
I think your time and preparation is sufficient- you should definitely not back out or postpone it now.Stay cool. My exam was of the same difficulty level as powerprep.I think almost anyone who uses English in everyday life should find it very easy.
Time is more than enough in the reading section- acc. to me. I finished my questions and could go back and check them again in half the time provided.In the listening section and structure section, you may need to be more careful. You have to concentrate and know the right answer almost immediately.
I am in no position to compare barrons,cliffs ,kaplan - since I used only Barrons. Like I said before, I liked the feature of Barrons that shows you mistakes in the CD model tests and directs you to similiar questions in the book. That way you can zero in on your particular weaknesses and improve.
No, I did not use any resources like downdowndown.net , tanisha.org etc.
Best of luck for your exam. Stay cool and concentrate during the exam. Again, if you speak /use English everyday - then TOEFL will be a breeze.

eagle
11-13-2003, 04:41 PM
Hi Forever 21, yes that is a pain in the TOEFL Powerprep. Not knowing what answers were right/wrong. I used the powerprep mainly to judge my performance.. Sorry, so I dont know where you can find answers.If you can post some questions here I am sure you will get answers from me or others - since we already have the same passages in our powerprep cds- just make a note of those answers you are not sure of- and post them.Discussion will always clarify doubts and give confidence.Give it a try, if you dont get answers from elsewhere.

eagle
11-13-2003, 04:49 PM
Hi Ghanta, I had a major problem with reading comp too- when I was preparing for my GRE. I am quite good at it now. I think the main factor that is upsetting is that most of the passages have matter that we are not familiar with. So, we just have to develop reading habits that allow us to read unfamiliar material with confidence.
Practise reading articles from good magazines like the Economist that have good English usage. I think this skill , once developed can be a boon.
I think from your past score, that you are not comfortable with English.Reading more and more English should help in identifying good structure too.
AmigoRo had advised this link- if you have good access to the web..
http://www.aldaily.com/
It has many good articles for practise.
when reading, try to get interested in what you are reading,and understand the information provided ,rather than trying to blindly remember facts.
I like the editorials in the New York Times online too..but you have to sign up for those.
Do tell me if all this is of any help or if you have any more specific queries.Best of luck, and believe me that reading improves by leaps and bounds if you practise well.

prglen
11-13-2003, 06:50 PM
Thanks eagle for your reply.
I am living in USA for past 3 years , I donot know how much this is going to help me in my exam .
Hope for the best .
Also can you provide me some links , study guides on listening and writing

Thanks
Prglen

Originally posted by eagle

Thank you Prlgen,
I think your time and preparation is sufficient- you should definitely not back out or postpone it now.Stay cool. My exam was of the same difficulty level as powerprep.I think almost anyone who uses English in everyday life should find it very easy.
Time is more than enough in the reading section- acc. to me. I finished my questions and could go back and check them again in half the time provided.In the listening section and structure section, you may need to be more careful. You have to concentrate and know the right answer almost immediately.
I am in no position to compare barrons,cliffs ,kaplan - since I used only Barrons. Like I said before, I liked the feature of Barrons that shows you mistakes in the CD model tests and directs you to similiar questions in the book. That way you can zero in on your particular weaknesses and improve.
No, I did not use any resources like downdowndown.net , tanisha.org etc.
Best of luck for your exam. Stay cool and concentrate during the exam. Again, if you speak /use English everyday - then TOEFL will be a breeze.

eagle
11-14-2003, 04:10 PM
Hi Prlgen
I am sure living in the USA makes a difference esp. if you interact in English and watch American movies etc:-)
I cannot provide too many links since I did not use any special links for studying.As far as writing is concerned, I think TOEFL essays are much simpler than GRE.They are mostly too open-ended without any logical/rational writing possible. eg.'What would you do if a factory opened near your house?':D. I think it will still help to form a framework of about 3 paragraphs with at least 1 relevant point in each. Good English writing comes from frequent reading and good english usage.
HOpe this sort of advice is not setting you off:).It is quite easy to write at length without thinking too much. Go crack it. Best of luck:)

sunxcat
11-19-2003, 05:43 AM
hi eagle,
amazing scores....u've proved yurself !! great going dude !!

congrats !

Erin
11-19-2003, 06:00 AM
Awesome, Eagle! You're doing great work all around. :)

loveNicole
11-20-2003, 02:07 AM
HI..^___^
I am a new one here. My name is Nicole.
As you mentioned about"Barron's CD",can you tell me the full name of the book that you used for TOEFL test.Thank you in advance...
By the way, your scores are really amazing!![w00t]

eagle
11-24-2003, 06:16 PM
Thanks a lot Erin! Thanks Sunxcat:-) I've been sort of busy this past week...just checked the forum. The upcoming applications process is scary!! I may send you my essay once its done Erin, on the admissions forum...Hope it all goes through nicely.
Hi loveNicole, the full name of the book is 'Barron's -How to Prepare For The TOEFL'10th Edition with CD-ROM, by Pamela J.Sharpe,Ph.D.Hope I have not replied too late:-)

loveNicole
11-28-2003, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by eagle

Hi loveNicole, the full name of the book is 'Barron's -How to Prepare For The TOEFL'10th Edition with CD-ROM, by Pamela J.Sharpe,Ph.D.Hope I have not replied too late:-)

Thank you.....[goodjob]

joyyoj
11-30-2003, 01:18 AM
Oustanding score!! Amazing!!

Anyway,I have few questions to ask you,a TOEFL GURU
1.how long did you prepare for the test??
Since I am always scare to set my TOEFL appointment, I am guess I never be ready.
2.my reading is poor, I got only 19-22 from POWERPREP,
-Is there any chance I can progress my skill ??
-I plan to list and memorize vocabs in group....is this gonna work? .....any suggestion??

eagle
12-01-2003, 05:19 PM
Hi Joyyoj,
I really dont think I should indulge in such glorious titles:TOEFL GURU etc.:)
1.I prepared very focussedly for 2 days prior to the test.But I remember I was quite tense since I had fooled around for at a week prior and I felt I needed more time. I think for anyone with average English proficiency- 2 weeks prep should be sufficient.I would advice you to go ahead and register- and then slog a bit on your weaknesses.
2.If you know your reading is poor then you are already progressing.Practise reading for 2-3 hours daily. Reading comprehension in TOEFL is very simple and factual.You can certainly improve on practise and by paying attention.

I dont think learning vocab separately is of much help for TOEFL since there is no vocab testing. It would help more to read and learn unfamiliar words along with their usage. Keep refering to the dictionary as you read.
I have been reading English since I was a kid.But when preparing for TOEFL, GRE I realised that a different sort of reading skill is required. The ability to read unfamiliar or uninteresting passages with interest and understanding-I know it sounds impossible:).But believe me it is not only possible but will also help you anytime in the future.
Best of luck for your TOEFL. And feel free to ask any other questions you have or problems you may encounter in prep.

joyyoj
12-02-2003, 05:43 AM
Many Thanx Eagle!!:o

Very appreciate your suggestion are all very practical, I will soon report my score. Hopefully next month

Take care & Thanx again[heartbeat]