PDA

View Full Version : Any USC students here?

macroeconomicus
11-16-2007, 09:49 AM
I just noticed some TM members enrolled in USC this year. I am still deciding whether I should apply to USC. Right now I am deciding between applying there versus a comparable Midwestern school like say UIUC (let's just say, my resources are limited and I have a strong urge to be in Midwest due to a personal issue). Could someone please comment what do you think about the department overall? I am interested in asset pricing, econometrics, and international economics. It seems like USC has some good professors for these subjects (esp. Magill, Pesaran, Hsiao, Betts, maybe others). If you want to share something something privately, feel free to send a private message.

Olm
11-16-2007, 11:14 PM
You should be applying to between 10 and 15 schools. I would say 8 is an absolute bare minimum... the process is so random that every year, people with good/excellent academic records don't get in anywhere because they did not apply to enough places.

phdphd
11-18-2007, 04:34 PM
I'm only first year at USC so take my comments with a grain of salt. The dept is small and basically I would recommend you to apply if you have interest in metrics, micro or development.

-For metrics, there's Hsiao, Moon, Ridder and Pesaran (who has a chair as a visiting Prof, he's not permanent faculty; he'll be teaching next year). The Journal of Econometrics is edited here;

-For micro there're a couple of guys working with IO, auction theory and Mechanism Design. Laffont was once a Prof. here and by means of him I believe there's kind of a IO culture in the dept. There're two guys from Toulose, Carrillo and Brocas. There's also Guofu Tan working mainly with auction/IO and Magill in finance/incomplete markets;

-For development, there's Strauss and Nugent (a former student of Strauss had a very good academic placement last year; Strauss is the editor of the Economic Development and Cultural Change).

I wouldn't come here for macro. The guys who work with macro benefit from the Profs in the business school (mainly Vincenzo Quadrini and the Imrohoroglus). There is an assit. Prof supposed to be very good who is now in sabatical at Upenn, and the comment is that he won't come back. Betts teaches in the core sequence and is frequently a commitee member in the dissertations but apart from that I don't know what her research is about nowadays.

The attrition rate seems to be low but some people do fail in the core exams. And be aware that USC is in a very bad neighborhood, though it has a very gorgeous campus.

zsla
11-18-2007, 04:43 PM
And be aware that USC is in a very bad neighborhood

It reminds me of a school that I know.

macroeconomicus
11-20-2007, 01:52 AM
phdphd, sounds like Magill and Pesaran are the only people who interest me in the econ department. Are there any good people working in the same subjects in the business school as well, and if there are some, do they work with econ phd students? By the way, is it possible to live in LA on USC graduate student stipend?

asianecon
11-20-2007, 01:55 AM
It reminds me of a school that I know.

I think I know what you're talking about...I just heard what happened early this morning. I was even debating whether to take a bus late at night yesterday or take a cab. Luckily I took a cab..This neighborhood is scary..

(Sorry for being off-topic)

zsla
11-20-2007, 03:18 AM
I think I know what you're talking about...I just heard what happened early this morning. I was even debating whether to take a bus late at night yesterday or take a cab. Luckily I took a cab..This neighborhood is scary..

(Sorry for being off-topic)

This neighborhood sucks !! These guys are trying to revert to cannibalism. The president has freaked out and sent tons of e-mails today about the safety measures to be taken, but it seems like they will again be only for show and non-functional in fact. The funny thing is that the guy who was killed last night had almost done with his PhD, actually this was his final year. What a sad end after a 5 years of torture !!

phdphd
11-20-2007, 05:58 AM
phdphd, sounds like Magill and Pesaran are the only people who interest me in the econ department. Are there any good people working in the same subjects in the business school as well, and if there are some, do they work with econ phd students? By the way, is it possible to live in LA on USC graduate student stipend?

In metrics all the guys are in the econ department but if you want to go for asset pricing then the business school can be a better place. In asset pricing the names that come to my mind right now are Fernando Zapatero and Wayne Ferson but I'm sure that you'll find more people working in the subject. Zapatero is associated Prof. in the econ dept and is supervising a couple of guys in the market this year. Check USC College Department of Economics (http://www.usc.edu/schools/college/econ/home/candidates.html) to have a better idea of what's going on.

By the way, there's also a guy in the econ dept working with international economics, Robert Dekle.

phdphd
11-20-2007, 06:11 AM
...the guy who was killed last night...

I was going to say that Chicago is worth the risk, but this is very sad. Here nothing so serious has happened so far, though we receive crime notifications on a daily basis.

phdphd
11-20-2007, 06:12 AM
Double post

phdphd
11-20-2007, 06:19 AM
...the guy who was killed last night...

I was going to say that Chicago is worth the risk, but this is very sad. Here nothing so serious has happened so far, though we receive crime notifications on a daily basis.