PDA

View Full Version : Grad School CVs - What goes on them?

confuzed
11-19-2007, 04:31 PM
Hello,

I was just wondering what to put on my CV other than the usual (name, address, etc)
I will be listing my projects and the little research experience that I have had.

Should I also list relevant courses? I was reading somewhere that the professors get this information using the transcript so it is irrelevant.

Thanks

polkaparty
11-19-2007, 05:02 PM
I wouldn't mind some advice for this as well. PhD candidate CVs and prof. CVs usually focus solely on publications, presentations, books, and courses taught (I think those are the main items)

So if you haven't taught courses, written any books, made any presentations, or had any publications, a pre-PhD CV is going to look fairly pitiful.

So far all I have is a resume that I modified to focus on research experience, with short descriptions of each task, etc.

Should we have a section with titles of current work if we're doing a thesis or something? I suppose the answer is yes....

Also should we mention extracurricular stuff (econ club...lol)?

Anyway, sorry my thoughts are somewhat disorganized, I'm at school and preparing for a huge exam in three hours....

Ancalagon The Black
11-19-2007, 06:09 PM
I think that one should give every relevant information. I am not particularly in favor of the relevant coursework material as someone says, that information will be gleaned from transcripts.

I include, contact details, educational details, work experience (any kind but not flipping burgers types of jobs), research experience (publications, presentations, talks, lectures, books, business plans) and extra curriculars like volunteer experience and other stuff, for instance, I am a Grade 8 in Piano from the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music, London so I include that :D

I am dithering on coursework as well as affiliations like IEEE, Indian Science Congress, Mensa etc.

kartelite
11-19-2007, 07:19 PM
Significant extracurriculars should be included (first chair violinist in univ orchestra, chess master, academic all-american varsity athlete, president of econ club, etc.). Scholarships received. Significant skills, e.g. if you are very experienced with c++ or matlab, foreign language skills.

filroz
11-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Any suggestion of some nice LaTeX template?

Ancalagon The Black
11-20-2007, 05:58 AM
How about affiliations to professional bodies or high iq societies? Are high iq societies like Mensa seen as being more elitist and hence, looked down upon?

Olm
11-20-2007, 08:21 AM
If you have someone on the adcom who thinks IQ scores are a load of crap, they may subconciously look for reasons to disqualify you. Really, you shouldn't include things that some people may take offense to, like a thesis award from a conservative think tank, or the fact that you consider helping Mexicans sneak into the US as charity work, or whatever.

They already have numbers to compare you to other people by: your GPA and GRE scores. The people who apply to PhD programs tend to be on the upper end of the intelligence scale anyway. You have little to gain and much to lose. I wouldn't put membership in an IQ society on any kind of resume... just use it to pick up chicks, I guess ;)

buckykatt
11-20-2007, 02:10 PM
How about affiliations to professional bodies or high iq societies? Are high iq societies like Mensa seen as being more elitist and hence, looked down upon?

Professional memberships, if relevant to economics, might be a good way to demonstrate your commitment.

The bar for Mensa membership isn't high enough to make it unusual among applicants, and membership in the more selective societies would probably make you look pretentious. Either way, I'd avoid listing these unless you served as an officer of your local chapter, chair of an event planning committee, or something along those lines.