PDA

View Full Version : Should I retake AWA?

Nilanjana
11-13-2003, 04:36 PM
Hi everybody,

I had my GRE in OCtober and my scores are V- 700, Q- 760, AWA- 5/6 (68 percentile as far as I remember) and I am still awaiting my TOEFL scores but the range is 243-300. My subject is history and the Univs that offer the region I want to specialize in are very few and they are all top ranked Univs. The history depts (as do all social sc. depts) pay a lot of attention to the AWA and I feel that I fall a little short of their requirement. I had NOT practiced the analytical writing adequately and this has been a very big mistake. I was concentrating on the verbal mostly and had just practiced 2 issues and 1 argument. I feel with practice I could do much better. I was completely lost during the real GRE.

Do you suggest I go ahead and retake the AWA in April (which is offered along with the Subject tests, I think)? As I am not applying for Fall 2004, I think I can afford to devote some more time to the GRE. There is also a slight apprehension that if it does not go well and I am unable to improve my score from a 5 or infact get a lower score.
It would help me a lot if I got some feedback and suggestions from fellow TMians. Does anybody know of anyone who has been able to improve his/her AWA scores?

Erin, I'd be very grateful if you could give your expert opinion.

Thanks a lot.
Bests,
Nilanjana

sunxcat
11-19-2003, 09:44 AM
Hi Nilanjana,
Since you r not apping for fall 2004, I think you can retake the GRE awa part again along with yur AGRE. itz very rare to score below 5, moreover since you hav scored 5 this time, you should b confident on rising it ! you will definitely improve yur awa score, if you retake awa ! my personal advice to you would b to skim thru all the 144 topics and form a idea in general(just points) abt each one of them....so tht you will save time in yur D-Day + you know what 2 write + you can concentrate on yur language more since you already know what 2 write on the topic + less probability of error. at first sight, my advice may seem tedious to work-out. but, 5 min per topic is enuf....afterall, itz for yur own benefit right ??!! anywayz, all the best !!
one more thing, fantastic GRE score....keep it up !!

Nilanjana
11-19-2003, 06:55 PM
Hi sunxcat,
Thanks for the advice...I think I'll do what you said....and I really do not mind putting in some extra effort to improve my scores....and as I have over a year at my disposal...I can go ahead and do it.
Thanks once again. Wish you all the best for your future endeavors.
Nilanjana

murboy
11-22-2003, 08:45 PM
How important is AWA for engg schools, MS/PhD? My AWA is still pending. I am having a bad feeling that I would end up in 5/6. Would 5.5/6 be good enough for top 15 engg schools? I hope V680 is good enough, I guess it should be close to 90th percentile, I still have not got the official score report.

- Murboy

sunxcat
11-23-2003, 12:41 AM
hey murboy,
Most schools have a min. requirement(i guess you know this)....and generally specify tht yur awa b 5/6(min-top schools) ! but, 5.5 is better...and this is how it marks to the old pattern. (yur awa score+2)*100. so if you get 5/6, then to the old pattern, it is 700/800 !
good score, right ? but, if you r aiming for the top-tiers, 5.5 or 6 would b good or rather *safe* ! and I think tht 5.5 is 87th percentile.

cheerz !