PDA

View Full Version : Phd 2008

requi
11-21-2007, 08:00 PM
Hi,

I'm applying for 4 Phd in Economics (Nyu, Upenn, Michigan, Lse). Now i am a Master student (Master of Research- first year of Ph.D) in Economics in Toulouse. i'll finish my master on June 7 or on September 12. (From your point of view) Could i take the master for next September and start a Phd in Nyu, Upenn... next year?

reactor
11-22-2007, 10:20 PM
Well... Good Luck!

Olm
11-23-2007, 05:25 AM
I don't understand your question, requi. Specifically your last sentence. It doesn't make sense to me.

reactor
11-23-2007, 08:55 AM
I think what requi means is that in many masters you are required to submit the dissertation by early September while in many PhD programs you are asked to start attending in mid-August. Is that what you meant requi? :)

requi
11-24-2007, 12:21 AM
Yes, Is this possible?

asianecon
11-24-2007, 01:30 AM
no because u need to confirm your credentials at the time of matriculation (you'll get the results around October I think so classes have started already..besides you can't be in Toulouse around mid of Sept). plus it's a bad signal since doing the Sept session either means u failed a subject or didn't defend your memoire on time. the best students never do the September session

reactor
11-24-2007, 09:58 AM
I think it is feasible. I know at least 5 people who had their dissertation ready before September (actually before August) and enrolled in mid-August a US PhD program without having the Masters degree. It is not easy but people have done it. In any case, most (if not all) US Econ PhD programs do NOT require you to have a masters in order to enroll.