PDA

View Full Version : Take a look

okcash
11-22-2007, 09:36 AM
Hey, I am from a development country. I got 99/120 in Toefl IBT and q790 v360 w3.0 in GRE. I was thinking to apply 10-50 in rankings. I am an external student of LSE BSc in Mathematics and Economics. I will be graduated with two undergrad diplomas. GPA 3.61/4.0 and LSE average is around 60/100 .
I have taken many math courses from LSE like Abstract Math, Adv Calculus, Adv Linear Algebra, Mathematical Economics, Adv Math Analysis, Optimisation Theory, Math of Financial Valuation. And I am now taking Adv Microeconomics from a well-known social choice theoretician. I think he will write a good LoR for me.
What chance would you give to me?

Thx.

thewhiterabbit
11-22-2007, 09:48 AM
Do you mean phd programs? If so, I think that most UK undergrads do a master's first since their degree is only three years. You might be able to bypass that, but it sounds like it would probably benefit you to do that first since you're competing with other UK folks.

I had a friend who did the LSE extension course bachelor's and is now doing the LSE MSc econ. That seems like a decent way to get to a good US PhD - that's what she's planning on at least. Plus since you're from a developing country you might have a better chance at aid - she had a full tuition scholarship plus 10,000 pounds to live on for the year, which is a pretty nice deal all considering.

okcash
11-22-2007, 09:24 PM
Sure I mean PhD in Economics. Our program is like this: You enter a university in your own country and after 1st year if you are found eligible you can get in the LSE External Program. So I have had a four-year undergrad. I will get one diploma from my own Uni and one from LSE (which is indicated as no different from internals). Most of our past grads are now in the states. I won't try UK chance just because we are not from the Commonwealth and to get scholarship it's no good. Besides, I won't spend one more year on MSc since our Math-Econ curriculum is much intensive (and I am taking grad courses in my own Uni now). In the states I will repeat same courses for 3rd time.
This is the situation. US seem to the best option for me.
How bout the states? Am I alright for that? I mean with all these test scores.

Thanks.

pevdoki1
11-22-2007, 09:41 PM
360 verbal?.. I don't think you can get into a decent program with that score. I would suggest re-taking the GRE.

Olm
11-23-2007, 05:27 AM
awa and verbal... I can see one of them being low, but if both are low, you need to bring them way up unless you are outstanding in other ways to impress the adcoms.

thewhiterabbit
11-23-2007, 05:27 AM
Okay, sounds pretty good then. Seems you'd have a pretty good shot at 10-50 as is, maybe higher, except as pevdoki mentioned your GRE and as far as I know TOEFL will throw up some pretty big red flags. I think (though you should definitely check on this) there is sometimes a 100 TOEFL minimum for the online test. You've got three bad scores on the verbal type stuff which might be bad enough to disqualify you, as much as these things don't usually play a big role.

okcash
11-23-2007, 10:02 AM
Thanks guys, but I hate to play the monkey in front of that computers by choosing the most "alike" thing. That's not my job. I will try with what God gave me :) If I can't get in, I will try next year.
Come on. You know these tests are tactic-tests. One of my friends took toefl 3 times. Scores was 79-92-107. Hey, he didn't improve his english. He learned how to do it in 3rd time. He still makes me do his writings with UK.
And, the GRE verbal thing. Hey who gets high scores? What is a high score in verbal? Even natives accept that those words are from space. My preparation book starts with these : 'We won't teach you, we'll make you guess better' . That's not my job, I'm busy for that. I'd rather read sth instead of spending money and time for those tests. I am happiest because they are past :)

Anyway. Thx

..:I am a Diegan. I lived in San Diego for nine months. We have an organization with there. I can use this language :)

okcash
11-23-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks guys, but I hate to play the monkey in front of that computers by choosing the most "alike" thing. That's not my job. I will try with what God gave me :) If I can't get in, I will try next year.
Come on. You know these tests are tactic-tests. One of my friends took toefl 3 times. Scores was 79-92-107. Hey, he didn't improve his english. He learned how to do it in 3rd time. He still makes me do his writings with UK.
And, the GRE verbal thing. Hey who gets high scores? What is a high score in verbal? Even natives accept that those words are from space. My preparation book starts with these : 'We won't teach you, we'll make you guess better' . That's not my job, I'm busy for that. I'd rather read sth instead of spending money and time for those tests. I am happiest because they are past :)

Anyway. Thx

..:I am a Diegan. I lived in San Diego for nine months. We have an organization with there. I can use this language :)

asa_sl
11-23-2007, 12:27 PM
okcash > dude you may not like those tests. but adcoms like those . thats the problem . lol