PDA

View Full Version : Current thinking on development

the_asker
11-28-2007, 08:39 AM
Hi everyone. As a student from a developing country I'd like to ask about incumbent paradigms and the newest research on economic development. Instruction on this at my university is stuck in the '60s, and apart from a cursory glance at Easterly's work I suppose I'm stuck there as well. Which is a pity, since I'm hoping to work on this field in the near future.

SO, what's new in development? What are YOU working on? :grad:

jenizaro
11-28-2007, 12:39 PM
Well, I'm no expert on development but will advise you to read Debraj Ray's textbook (don't remember its name, think it is Development Economics). Also check out his website. Huge amount of interesting material there.

asianeconomist
11-30-2007, 06:11 PM
Try to get hold of Kaushik Basu's "Analytical Development Economics". I would highly recommend it.

Elly
11-30-2007, 06:33 PM
A common grad level text is "Development Microeconomics" by Udry and Bardhan. I would say the majority of work going on in development right now is empirical micro studies.

Golden Rule
11-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Look at the papers being presented on development at the ASSA / AEA meetings, or various conferences like the NEUDC. Or look up the development seminars at various schools. Google and ye shall find.

mysherona
11-30-2007, 11:01 PM
I would say the majority of work going on in development right now is empirical micro studies.

On what, exactly?

Elly
12-01-2007, 07:24 PM
On what, exactly?

All sorts of things: nutrition, education, labor decisions, politics... etc. For example, say some country changes child labor laws and you want to know how that affects education decisions. The studies tend to be very situation specific- you can discover a lot about how a particular region in a particular country reacts to a particular law, but they don't necessarily provide insight into how a similar law would affect a different country.