PDA

View Full Version : Some idea about these US MA programs?

econphd23
11-30-2007, 03:43 AM
I am choosing MA programs of US right now, and my goal to apply for a top PHD in the future. Here are the list of programs that I have chosen:
1. Duke
2. NYU
3. Tufts
these 3 are really helpful for students to prepare for PHD.

here are another 5.
1.Cornell
2.Michigan
3.UIUC
4.BU
5.USC
I have visited their web sites, I think these are not the programs for students to prepare for PHD.

So what is your opinion about these programs, also I am very appreciated if you recommend some other awesome programs no matter in US or not. Thank you all!!!

(By the way, I choose 3 programs not in US
1.LSE
2.Toronto
3.UBC)

econphd23
11-30-2007, 06:23 AM
please give me some suggestions:p
I am waiting on line now,,,,,

constrainedoptimizer
11-30-2007, 07:33 AM
Do you know what type of fields of research you want to get into at the PhD level? Because I know there are some MA programs which are "field specific" in gearing you towards your research goal. For example, I know Yale has a decent MA program, if you want early exposure to International Economics or Economic Development. UC Santa Barbara has an MA in Economics in which you can gear towards a certain specialty. Some of the electives they offer are:

Economics 206: “Operations Research” (not offered every year)
Economics 209: “Introduction to Operations Management” (not offered every year)
Economics 234A: “Introduction to Finance”
Economics 234B: “Theory of Finance”
Economics240C: “Econometrics with Emphasis in Time Series and Forecasting”
Economics 273A: “Managerial Accounting”
PSTAT 130: “Statistical Computing”Also offered is some decent weather. Outside of these, however, I know very little, aside from my alma mater, the Cal State system, which offers "options" in field specialties. But if you want to impress adcoms, you might want to look at "higher caliber" programs. I hope this helps a little.

econphd23
11-30-2007, 11:45 AM
thank you so much, constrainedoptmizer!!
This is really so helpful!! I will have a look at their web sites.
Thank you:)you know, I thought there are no MA programs in these 2 universities.

filroz
11-30-2007, 02:09 PM
check out rutgers, it seems they offer terminal MA with subjects from phd.

econphd23
11-30-2007, 03:03 PM
check out rutgers, it seems they offer terminal MA with subjects from phd.
Thank you! I will check it out now:tup: thank you!!

ImProcrastinating
11-30-2007, 03:47 PM
If you're sure you want to go on to a PhD, you should apply to Canadian or European MA programs instead of American ones. American MA programs are designed to prepare students for the workforce, not for PhDs, and don't impress adcoms very much. I've heard this is especially true for NYU.

econphd23
12-01-2007, 11:10 AM
If you're sure you want to go on to a PhD, you should apply to Canadian or European MA programs instead of American ones. American MA programs are designed to prepare students for the workforce, not for PhDs, and don't impress adcoms very much. I've heard this is especially true for NYU.
I chose UBC, Toronto and Queens, also LSE, do you have any other programs recommended?
BTW, I checked the NYU's web site, it seems they have some students go to PHD programs.
Thank you so much for your great advise:) Thank you!

econphd23
12-02-2007, 01:43 AM
For example, I know Yale has a decent MA program, if you want early exposure to International Economics or Economic Development.
I checked it out, it was said, only a fraction of the students apply to PHD degrees, I don't know whether it will be a good idea to apply to this program as the preparation for PHD. Could you give me some more informaiotn?