PDA

View Full Version : Should I include Resume?

littlemath
12-01-2007, 07:36 PM
For most of the schools I am applying to it says that the resume is optional. Now I am assuming that it may raise some eyebrows if you do not include one. True? The reason I am reluctant is that I have been out of school three and a half years and only one job which I had for about 6 months has any relevance to econ. I don't have publications to list and their are separate sections for honors/organizations so I don't see how the resume will help me. But I wanted to see whether not submitting one would be a red flag.

polkaparty
12-01-2007, 07:45 PM
Now I am assuming that it may raise some eyebrows if you do not include one. True?

I wasn't planning on including a resume unless it's required, so I hope it doesn't "raise some eyebrows." There simply isn't any information on my resume that isn't included elsewhere on my application. I am applying straight from undergrad so I don't have any extensive work experience to detail. Furthermore the resume can only hurt if it's not designed well (and mine certainly could use some improvement).

For you, however, perhaps it's best to include a resume since you've been out of school for so long.

littlemath
12-01-2007, 09:59 PM
I def think it is different if you just graduated unless you have some significant internship experience or something.

But it does seem from this board that being out of school for 3 1/2 years is "so long" so I really don't know how to proceed. Any suggestions??

polkaparty
12-01-2007, 11:15 PM
I don't think it's a big deal that you haven't really had any econ related jobs, assuming you can explain what led you to pursuing the degree. If you don't think the resume adds anything to your application (for instance, if you have already listed all previous jobs on the application form), then maybe you can pass up submitting it.

I wish I had some better advice to give, good luck.