PDA

View Full Version : Which college to choose at Oxford

the_asker
12-01-2007, 11:03 PM
Is anyone in the know about the college system at Oxford? Which would be the "best" for an international graduate student in economics?

Ricardinho
12-01-2007, 11:20 PM
I believe it's Nuffield

the_asker
12-02-2007, 02:23 AM
Why Nuffield? And do you pronounce Nuffield as it's spelled? How about a second choice? I know there are college websites but I feel I can't really make an informed choice without asking a disinterested party (i.e. not the head of house).

Karina 07
12-02-2007, 09:08 AM
There was another thread in which this was discussed, here: http://www.urch.com/forums/phd-economics/78410-econ-masters-uk-request-profile-evaluation-2.html .

Imho, I personally would aim for a college with a lot of money, if I were you. It can't hurt. I think it's St. John's which used to own like a third of the land in England or something like that. Unless you want to aim for something else in particular (like an all-graduate-student college, a very international college, etc.). Nuffield I hear is fairly hard to get into and you don't want to be assigned to one of the really poorest colleges or anything (although it's probably like what they say about fraternities/sororities and such, you'll like any one that you join and end up defending it to the death).

Ricardinho
12-02-2007, 10:20 AM
The reason why I suggested Nuffield was because I think it has the largest number of economists among all the colleges at Oxford. What I do not know, however, is to what extent your interaction with other economists are college-based, or department-based.

In terms of endowment, I thought Christchurch was supposed to be the richest.

the_asker
12-02-2007, 10:46 AM
There was another thread in which this was discussed

Tsk tsk, I should really do searches before posting these redundant topics! Thanks for pointing me to that helpful discussion on UK programs. I guess first choice is Nuffield, second choice St. John's/Christchurch... Oxford isn't a top choice for me anyway. :)