PDA

View Full Version : Help to choose school, interesting in econometris

tryeco
12-02-2007, 04:20 AM
I would like to choose econometrics as my major, please give some advice.
GRE : Quant: 800
Verbal : 450
AWA : 3.0
Toefl: IBT : 96

Currently : Second year in PhD program in top 5 economics school. Past the qulifiers this sunmmer
GPA 3.59/4
Work as a RA for the Advance Micro I since Sep.
Courses: Advanced Micro, Macro, Econometrics 1,2,3. Nonparametrics and semiparametrics. Eco math 1.

Undergaraduate: The same school , norm math course for econphd, GPA is 3.24/4, 3.5/4 for the last two years( Since my undergaraduate program is a joint-program, half of the courses is given by Professor from Uk, the first years was tough and got low scores)

1.I have a weak GRE score( V & AWA) , will that hurt me a lot?
2.I am fascinated by econometrics, and can you give some advice about the school, my rang is from 10-70, and what's the chance to get in to top 30?

Your replies are really appreciate.:tup:

polkaparty
12-02-2007, 04:25 AM
Huh? You're currently a 2nd year in a top 5 program and you want to transfer? This post really doesn't make any sense.

BTW, this typo made me laugh: econometris n. a game played by applied economists attempting to extract information from data.

the_asker
12-02-2007, 04:35 AM
Maybe he means top 5 program in his country.

polkaparty
12-02-2007, 04:56 AM
ah I guess that would make more sense.

tryeco
12-02-2007, 05:48 AM
Maybe he means top 5 program in his country.
yes. top 5 program in China.

to polkaparty: maybe for you econometrics is just a tool for applied ecomomics, but for me it is a great subdiscipline of economics to test the theory, find out the real relationship between things, forecast....
Anyway, appreciate your replies.

polkaparty
12-02-2007, 06:04 AM
to polkaparty: maybe for you econometrics is just a tool for applied ecomomics, but for me it is a great subdiscipline of economics to test the theory, find out the real relationship between things, forecast....
Anyway, appreciate your replies.

I wasn't dissing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissing) econometrics or anything, I was just trying to think of something to say to humorously relate econometrics to the game Tetris (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetris) (since when you leave out the c you get econometris).

Clearly the field is extremely important.

For advice: I don't recall anyone here at TestMagic transferring from an international PhD program to a U.S. program before. That doesn't mean it's not possible or doesn't happen often, though. I wish I had something really useful to say, but I'm one of the worst advice givers on this forum...good luck though.

tryeco
12-02-2007, 07:39 AM
to polkparty: Thank you. How about applying using a normal master degree, because I can choose to graduate in 08July and get a MS degree.
I just want to know whether the courses would help my application or not. shall I apply for the top 10?

tangsiuje
12-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Wait a sec. I'm lost:

1. You are in China.
2. You are studying the second year of a PhD program.
3. You would obtain a master's degree if you graduate in July 2008.

If (2) is true, then you must already have a master's degree, since a master's degree is required to enroll on a doctoral program in China.

Then (3) implies that you will obtain an additional master's degree if you choose to graduate in 2008.

What's the point of this one, if you have a master's degree already? :rolleyes:

tryeco
12-02-2007, 02:11 PM
to tangsiuje: I am in china. But I don't have a ms degree yet, in our school the phd program is 5 years, and if i apply for the Phd in US ,i can quit and get a ms degree in july08.( the school encourge us to do so). if i do not apply or can not get an offer, i can continue my phd in China.

tryeco
12-03-2007, 12:40 AM
anyone can give some advice? How about the chance to NYU Stern?

macroeconomicus
12-03-2007, 02:07 AM
I think the first 10 listed on Rankings: Econometrics (http://www.econphd.net/rank/reconm.htm) are all or almost all fairly broad in econometrics. And I would say most of the first 40 have competent faculty in less broad areas and sometimes even decent placements (A 2006 PhD from Cornell, number 36, is now professor at IUB specializing in time series).