PDA

View Full Version : I am an Engineer, interested in Economics

vardhankoshal
12-02-2007, 07:56 AM
Dear Friends, I am an engineering graduate from India. Kindly tell me whether I can get into a suitable Masters program in Economics? I am planning to have a PhD in economics. My Engineering degree is not great but I think I can manage a good GRE score. :hmm:

Econtobe
12-02-2007, 04:03 PM
Dear Friends, I am an engineering graduate from India. Kindly tell me whether I can get into a suitable Masters program in Economics? I am planning to have a PhD in economics. My Engineering degree is not great but I think I can manage a good GRE score. :hmm:

Hi Vardhan:
You can get into a Masters program. But how good a program and how helpful would it be to you, are questions that are more important and requires more information from you to answer.
UBC says this in their site:

Applicants for admission to the M.A. program are normally expected to have a strong undergraduate academic record especially in economic theory, statistics, and econometrics, with at least one year of calculus. Additional study of calculus and linear algebra is strongly advised.
Your application may not be very competitive in a good MA program if the adcoms don't see such courses in your transcript AND your engineering degree grades aren't great. Also, you are required to give 2 recommendations from professors who taught you and preferably are economists, math or statistic professors.. I am concerned if you'll be able to get these.

I've a similar background as you, but have an MBA(IIM) after my engineering, but still worried about prospects. But no need to lose heart, we can still fight it out! :)

vardhankoshal
12-03-2007, 03:21 PM
I have tried my best for this year and last year CAT, also recieved IIM C FP call in economics, but decided to go for MBA. Unfortunately I screwed my quant due to pressure in CAT 07...ironically, I refused to go for a software job and was teaching quant/ di in an MBA coaching of national repute for last 6 months after my graduation. It seems there is no light.:(