PDA

View Full Version : UCLA Financial Statement

the_asker
12-02-2007, 10:49 AM
International students: Is this really required? Doesn't this mean that anyone who doesn't have $50,000 can't apply?

Chicunomics
12-02-2007, 10:53 AM
I'm not sure. I mean, I think I cleared the hurdle by like $2,000, but that was with money that is only there notionally, but that I don't want to have to call on if I can avoid it (mainly...because it's my parent's...)

My understanding is that with these sorts of things, they just want to know that you could come if they don't fund you. And if the answer is going to be no either way, it doesn't really matter if you don't have those funds I guess. I also understand that funding is merit based virtually everywhere (within reason, and I don't think clearing the minimum by a couple of thousand designates me as rolling in money) so that if you do put a certain amount down, it's not going to be an issue unless we're talking mid-high 6 figures here...

Maryland is the only other one that asks for hard proof of funds -- out of places I know of -- and there they do have a provision for you to say, in more words 'I'm relying on you for funding'. Perhaps for UCLA it's a bit more implicit?

needeconhelp
12-02-2007, 11:43 AM
I put mine as 0, because technically I need to pay back my student loans. In fact, I should be a far nrgative value.

the_asker
12-02-2007, 12:41 PM
I see. So I suppose it doesn't matter either way. Don't schools usually ask for this after making their offers?

If I had known the UCLA application process was so cumbersome I would have applied to Cornell instead. Really, what are they thinking?

conniekk333
12-02-2007, 04:37 PM
International students: Is this really required? Doesn't this mean that anyone who doesn't have $50,000 can't apply?

are you talking about the one on which they need a bank official's signature? if it's that one, I called them and they said you can put it off till you get admitted

Chicunomics
12-02-2007, 10:00 PM
You cannot be serious. I spent a whole morning on that, and withdrew a stack of money from my managed funds to pad up my bank account when I would have left it there otherwise. BAH!

conniekk333
12-03-2007, 12:14 AM
You cannot be serious. I spent a whole morning on that, and withdrew a stack of money from my managed funds to pad up my bank account when I would have left it there otherwise. BAH!

umm... I called them and asked and that's what they told me...:( i know it's a ton of trouble. maybe you can call them again and confirm and get back to us, at least the person I talked to told me I don't have to get it in with the rest of the application

Chicunomics
12-03-2007, 01:01 AM
umm... I called them and asked and that's what they told me...:( i know it's a ton of trouble. maybe you can call them again and confirm and get back to us, at least the person I talked to told me I don't have to get it in with the rest of the application

Ha, no it's all good, I mean everything is done and sent now. But I guess if they can wait until you're admitted before making you go through the trouble (like...every other school), I don't see why they suggest you do it as you apply. I'm just bitter at the extra effort is all, don't mind me ;)