PDA

View Full Version : the not so obvious requirements... ( let's pool the odd ones)

conniekk333
12-02-2007, 04:42 PM
once in a while some schools are gonna have some odd requirements that others don't, if you see one, here's the place to put it;)

here's one:
Duke absolutely DOES require the TOEFL and it DOESN'T matter where you studied for your undergraduate.

bgg
12-02-2007, 06:11 PM
That's a pretty bad strategy for them...

needeconhelp
12-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Wisconsin-Madison: writing sample

needeconhelp
12-02-2007, 07:42 PM
UC Berkley, U Mich and UCLA: Diversity statement

needeconhelp
12-02-2007, 07:44 PM
UC Berkley, UCLA: supplement. WIsconsin-Madison: math preparation sheet

needeconhelp
12-02-2007, 07:49 PM
For Duke, can I just lie that English is my native tongue? I speak well, but with an accent. LOL. What are the penalties for lying?

TruDog
12-02-2007, 08:16 PM

And Northwestern.

Luckykid
12-02-2007, 10:59 PM
UIB requires a math/econ sheet.

conniekk333
12-03-2007, 12:12 AM
For Duke, can I just lie that English is my native tongue? I speak well, but with an accent. LOL. What are the penalties for lying?

heheeh, as always, if you got a good accent, you also need a good proof, maybe a greencard or something. they said they can waive the requirement but it would slow down the application, I didn't want to slow down my application so $150 went to ETS.:)

and the diversity statement, Yale has it too but isn't it OPTIONAL? or does that "optional" actually implies "you'd better write it"? I remember seeing a thread about it on here but I can't find it now.

needeconhelp
12-03-2007, 01:49 AM
Yale's DS is optional.

So, I can make a deal with them so that I don't have to take the TOEFL. I do have a Green Card. The only setback is that it delays my application process.??anyone care to answer it?

conniekk333
12-03-2007, 04:06 AM
UCLA's diversity statement isn't optional?? i thought all of them were...

for the Duke one, maybe you can just call and ask them what's best. given that the deadline is close (december 15th), i think it would be helpful to get a waiver.

Thesus
12-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Minnesota also requires the math/econ sheet.

econphilomath
12-03-2007, 02:03 PM
MIT and UChicago also require math/ econ sheet. I almost forgot the supplemental application for Berkeley! Watch out for that...

Andronicus
12-03-2007, 04:01 PM
Northwestern has a form for you to list your 6 most advanced courses in math and econ. U Texas - Austin has a form to list all your math classes. Indiana also has a math/econ form, which is online but seperate from the main application system.

Fermat
12-03-2007, 04:35 PM
I almost forgot the supplemental application for Berkeley! Watch out for that...

Georgetown has one as well.

2008applicant
12-03-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm finding UCLA's application very confusing...maybe someone could help me figure out the requirements...
I know that there is the statement of purpose, but I can't tell if the statement of purpose and the diversity statement should be one essay or two. I also don't see the supplemental application that someone mentions in this thread.
Thanks!

Thesus
12-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Georgetown has one as well.

Minnesota too.
Also, Rochester doesn't permit online SoPs.

the_asker
12-03-2007, 10:49 PM
I think the UCLA supplemental application s/he referred to is just the "Supplementary Information" form where you list your recommenders and courses in progress.

Really... This thread (indeed, this whole forum) is a case study in altruistic behavior. I wonder what motivates one to share information that directly decreases her chances of admission to her program of choice? Isn't it like stepping on your own foot?

Mr.Keen
12-03-2007, 11:25 PM
I am getting freaked out here about Duke's TOEFL requirement. First, it says that all international students are required to take it. As far as I know, if you are a permanent resident you are NOT an international student. Nowhere can I find a place where they actually lay out what the requirement is for people who are permanent residents but did not do their undergraduate studies in the U.S.
In my particular case: I am a permanent resident. I did my undergraduate studies in Mexico, have a masters from the U.S. and have been working for the Fed for the last 3 years. Should I ask for a waiver? or, can I just apply as a regular domestic applicant?

desimba
12-04-2007, 01:14 AM
Everything that I know suggests that candidates with a green card (permanent residents) apply as domestic candidates. And given that you should not need to submit a TOEFL score. If you need to be super sure you might verify with the schools but I would rate the probability that you don't have to take the TOEFL/ report TOEFL scores as >=0.95!

desimba
12-04-2007, 01:17 AM
CMU Econ (Tepper), Arizona State Econ & U Iowa Econ -all require paper recommendations. With U Maryland you cannot sign on your recommenders and send them an e-mail till you submit your application.

conniekk333
12-04-2007, 01:31 AM
Everything that I know suggests that candidates with a green card (permanent residents) apply as domestic candidates. And given that you should not need to submit a TOEFL score. If you need to be super sure you might verify with the schools but I would rate the probability that you don't have to take the TOEFL/ report TOEFL scores as >=0.95!

sometimes they go by native language instead of residency..... maybe it would be a good idea to check with Duke

conniekk333
12-04-2007, 01:32 AM
CMU Econ (Tepper), Arizona State Econ & U Iowa Econ -all require paper recommendations. With U Maryland you cannot sign on your recommenders and send them an e-mail till you submit your application.

Virginia is the same

Andronicus
12-04-2007, 01:51 AM

Texas and Ohio State also do not send emails to recommenders until you submit your application.

If you have more than 3 LOR writers, you have to have one of them submit their letter on paper at Northwestern, Texas, Ohio State, and UIUC.

kartelite
12-04-2007, 03:14 AM
I am getting freaked out here about Duke's TOEFL requirement. First, it says that all international students are required to take it. As far as I know, if you are a permanent resident you are NOT an international student. Nowhere can I find a place where they actually lay out what the requirement is for people who are permanent residents but did not do their undergraduate studies in the U.S.
In my particular case: I am a permanent resident. I did my undergraduate studies in Mexico, have a masters from the U.S. and have been working for the Fed for the last 3 years. Should I ask for a waiver? or, can I just apply as a regular domestic applicant?

I doubt they mean "all." Plenty of other countries (Canada, GB, Australia, etc.) are home to native English speakers, I doubt they make non-Québécois Canadians take the TOEFL. And I am sure in your case, having a green card, degree from a US University, and 3 years employment at the Fed, there's no need to prove your English competency. I would go ahead and apply as a domestic applicant, for most purposes residents have similar rights as citizens. BTW I visited Duke this spring and the program seems quite good, so even if for some stupid reason they require the TOEFL I think it would be worth doing.

115th dream
12-04-2007, 05:50 AM

And Northwestern.

Northwestern requires a "diversity statement"?

bgg
12-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Hey does anyone know whether one can scan and email the supplemental forms of UCLA, Berkeley. Also can I email the writing sample to Wisconsin.
In addition not all schools ask for resume and writing sample. Is it OK to email them resume and writing sample in case they decide to consider them?

ephyou
12-04-2007, 04:44 PM
No, Northwestern's diversity statement is optional, from what I can remember. Anyway do you think econ phd programs really care about that? they're some of the most diverse academic departments i can think of!

Mr.Keen
12-04-2007, 11:09 PM
Apparently Minnesota does not require you to submit official GRE scores, only a PDF copy of your score report. Am I missing something? I can't find institutional and/or department codes anywhere in their webpages.

conniekk333
12-04-2007, 11:14 PM
Hey does anyone know whether one can scan and email the supplemental forms of UCLA, Berkeley. Also can I email the writing sample to Wisconsin.
In addition not all schools ask for resume and writing sample. Is it OK to email them resume and writing sample in case they decide to consider them?

naa, UCLA wants you to mail everything by regular mail, they don't accept e-mails or faxes. :(

bgg
12-04-2007, 11:25 PM
naa, UCLA wants you to mail everything by regular mail, they don't accept e-mails or faxes. :(
great.... I am really reconsidering applying to this school. Didn't someone say that it's been on a downhill and losing faculty members? Can someone elaborate on this?
Thanks

Andronicus
12-04-2007, 11:34 PM
Apparently Minnesota does not require you to submit official GRE scores, only a PDF copy of your score report. Am I missing something? I can't find institutional and/or department codes anywhere in their webpages.

ETS has listings of institution codes. I think the institution code you need is 6874 (listed for U Minnesota Minneapolis) but I'm not certain that's the right campus. The economics department code is always 1801.

Ibn Abbas
01-18-2008, 01:13 AM
BUMP!

Boston U says 'GRE score valid for 2 years', instead of the usual 5.

Luckykid
01-18-2008, 01:23 AM
I had to send a recent photo to U of TN

Ibn Abbas
01-18-2008, 02:34 AM
Michigan State requires a 'academic statement' - no idea what it means by that.

fp3690
01-18-2008, 03:16 AM
BUMP!

Boston U says 'GRE score valid for 2 years', instead of the usual 5.

Solid Bump!

Do they mean two years by the time of application or matriculation? I took it November 2006 and intend to apply next fall. That's a bizarre strategy.

And what about Duke requiring TOEFL even from people who studied undergrad in English. I'm in my sixth consecutive year of only English tuition (if one adds school). I find it ridiculous to prove my worth!

buckykatt
01-18-2008, 08:46 AM
I had to send a recent photo to U of TN

Seriously? I'd almost think that was breaking some kind of anti-discrimination law or something... I mean, what possible *legitimate* reason could they have for wanting a photo before they make you an offer?

Ricardinho
01-18-2008, 09:40 AM
I recommend anyone whose native language is not English to take the TOEFL the vacation before applying, even though it's a pain in the a**. The reason is because multiple schools ask for this, e.g. Princeton, PSU, etc. Plus some external scholarship agencies might ask for it also.

Luckykid
01-18-2008, 06:14 PM
Seriously? I'd almost think that was breaking some kind of anti-discrimination law or something... I mean, what possible *legitimate* reason could they have for wanting a photo before they make you an offer?

I have no clue

http://econ.bus.utk.edu/grad/Graduate%20Application6.pdf

I obliged...

Roy

Ibn Abbas
01-19-2008, 01:28 AM
it's a pain in the a**.
It's not a pain at all. It's one of the easiest exams out there.

Rather, I don't want to sit for the TOEFL for 2 reasons:
1. I am giving up $150 of my hard-earned money
2. I am having to prove my grasp of English language despite the fact that I am probably better in English than most natives. (Sorry - I don't intend to boast). It seems like discrimination to me.

buckykatt
01-19-2008, 07:17 AM
I have no clue

http://econ.bus.utk.edu/grad/Graduate%20Application6.pdf

AH, "College of Business Administration". Now it makes sense. When the applications come in, all the ones where the guys are wearing ties go in one pile and the others are assumed to be future economists... ;)

conniekk333
01-19-2008, 05:27 PM
I recommend anyone whose native language is not English to take the TOEFL the vacation before applying, even though it's a pain in the a**. The reason is because multiple schools ask for this, e.g. Princeton, PSU, etc. Plus some external scholarship agencies might ask for it also.

hmm...... external agencies, true, but Princeton requires it even of people who study in the US?? can you clarify?