PDA

View Full Version : What will you be doing while waiting?

the_asker
12-05-2007, 09:47 AM
So by now you guys would have completed at least part of your applications, and it is about 3 months until the dreaded decisions arrive... How will you spend this time? (Translation: How do you keep from going crazy?)

econphilomath
12-05-2007, 12:44 PM
I plan on studying a little math, finishing up some papers and most of all, messing around on TM!

eqtisadi
12-05-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm writing a Stata tutorial (The Stata Project-Oriented Guide (http://stataproject.blogspot.com)). Keeps my mind off of the adcoms.
I really think the best thing to do is to forget about everything, work hard on whatever there is to work on, and be surprised by the admits flowing in three months from now ;)

econphilomath
12-05-2007, 12:56 PM
I'm writing a Stata tutorial (Stata for Dummies and Other Variables (http://stata4dummies.blogspot.com)). Keeps my mind off of the adcoms.
I really think the best thing to do is to forget about everything, work hard on whatever there is to work on, and be surprised by the admits flowing in three months from now ;)

Looks good, and also is probably something useful to spend your time on....

Andronicus
12-05-2007, 12:56 PM
Taking more math classes, doing RA work on traffic congestion, and teaching micro/macro principles at the local community college. Hopefully, that will be enough to keep me distracted.

the_asker
12-05-2007, 01:09 PM
I'm writing a Stata tutorial (Stata for Dummies and Other Variables (http://stata4dummies.blogspot.com)).

Hey this looks really good. What's your motivation for doing this?

buckykatt
12-05-2007, 01:56 PM
Working. Studying math. Wasting time on the Internet...

the_asker
12-05-2007, 02:09 PM
OK so the consensus is that we love math. BTW does anybody know who those people at the top right corner of this page are?

polkaparty
12-05-2007, 02:35 PM
does anybody know who those people at the top right corner of this page are?

LOL I've always wondered that... my guess is that they're former students of Erin's. That or actors paid to wear TM shirts.

Regarding what I'm going to do while waiting: Taking my last semester of classes as an undergraduate; continue some research projects; going back to my part time job; in general just try and stay busy.

My goal for next semester is to check TM (and email and other internet stuff) at max 3 times a day. I hope I can stick to this goal and remain productive but.... I'm going to try and use next semester as a transition to a more hardcore study routine. I want to experiment with different kinds of restrictions etc. so that I can really hit the ground running come the 1st year of grad school.

I want to think about admissions decisions as little as possible before March 1st through 15th.

Fermat
12-05-2007, 02:41 PM
I will be finishing up my master's and working on a research project. Probably drinking a few more beers and watching a lot of college basketball.

econphilomath
12-05-2007, 02:55 PM
OK so the consensus is that we love math. BTW does anybody know who those people at the top right corner of this page are?

LOL
I always imagined thats what everyone else on TM looks like:p

My ultra subjective assestment is that those guys look like a mix between really focused / really smart / proudly nerdy econ students. They most definitly have 800 on their quant GRE and have taken anlysis and topology during the summer.... and have been on TM since their freshman year in college soaking up all the info ;)

Chicunomics
12-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Don't I feel like a lazy bum. In a few weeks I'll be partying in Thailand, then backpacking around south-east Asia until the first results start coming in. It was the best way I could think to distract myself ;)

Palimpsest
12-05-2007, 03:12 PM
Don't I feel like a lazy bum. In a few weeks I'll be partying in Thailand, then backpacking around south-east Asia until the first results start coming in. It was the best way I could think to distract myself ;)

You should probably forget about succeeding in your PhD program here and now. I'm not even applying until next fall, but I spend all my Saturday nights studying measure theory while waiting outside Nobel Laureates' houses for LOR's. [snark]

---------------------------------------------------
Common Tragedies (http://commontragedies.wordpress.com)--an environmental economics blog

econphilomath
12-05-2007, 03:50 PM
I spend all my Saturday nights studying measure theory while waiting outside Nobel Laureates' houses for LOR's.

Oh man....why didn't I think of that!!

YoungEconomist
12-05-2007, 04:35 PM
Probably drinking a few more beers and watching a lot of college basketball.

Sounds good to me. I think I'll have to do the same. Hopefully, I'll be making some money too.

C152dude
12-05-2007, 04:42 PM
You could always buy Call of Duty 4 or Crysis or War in Conflict. That will keep you busy for a long time.

C152dude
12-05-2007, 04:52 PM
Also, see a Trans-Siberian Orchestra show. It will change your life forever.

example:
YouTube - trans siberian orchestra pyro (http://youtube.com/watch?v=xg13NNOwTvw&feature=related)

...off the pulpit now.

econphilomath
12-05-2007, 05:00 PM
I actually did buy Civilazation IV just yesterday, right after I sent my last packet...!

Sam_Jackson
12-05-2007, 06:14 PM
Watching Seinfeld!

Mr.Keen
12-05-2007, 06:15 PM
I'll be auditing graduate analysis and/or functional analysis. I will definitely devote more time to gaming. I have Assassin's Creed at the top of my list. I'll probably finish getting that Sweet Child O'mine solo right.:tup:

Sam_Jackson
12-05-2007, 06:21 PM
Try FREE Guitar Backing Tracks (http://www.guitarbt.com) to get the backing track of that GNR song. It'll help you solo better.

All Slash is doing is playing simple minor pentatonic scales. So if you know all the relevant modes of E minor (which I think is what the song is based on), then soloing to it will never be a problem.

Rock N O(r) Roll Keeno!

C152dude
12-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Or... better yet, cancel the Slash solo and learn Tender Surrender by Vai.

jbs02002
12-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Playing Team Fortress 2.

the_asker
12-05-2007, 11:06 PM
Gaming is a great idea, with one hitch... You do it on the computer. I can just see myself pausing to visit TM, pausing to check my e-mail, pausing to "track my application"... Not pretty. But a great (albeit severely unproductive) way to kill time nonetheless.

I do hope this doesn't lead to an econ phd online gaming league or something. That's just wrong.

C152dude
12-05-2007, 11:15 PM
Gaming is a great idea, with one hitch... You do it on the computer. I can just see myself pausing to visit TM, pausing to check my e-mail, pausing to "track my application"... Not pretty. But a great (albeit severely unproductive) way to kill time nonetheless.

I do hope this doesn't lead to an econ phd online gaming league or something. That's just wrong.

I was bound to a chair the day Crisis came out (about 12 hours or so of nothing about DX10). Let's start our own clan! hah :eek:

08Applicant
12-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Jiu Jitsu. I started a new diet, and after applications are all sent out I'm going to start lifting again. In undergrad my schedule was a mess and I hated doing everything exercise related so half-assed. Now with a full-time job I know exactly when I can train, lift, eat right, and sleep.

Pan Ams in March and a few more tournaments during the Summer. Hopefully I get to compete in a few and fly outs or math camp dont conflict. Or I wind up at a University in California and I can make weekend trips to tournaments.