PDA

View Full Version : Academic Productivity out of the top 10

econphilomath
12-05-2007, 07:49 PM
Good news that might aid in lowering stress levels. Although this might not be entirely new, the blog I link to below argues that the relashionship between generating quality research and being in an elite university has gone down considerably.

This means, among other things, that everyone who's applying can rest easy that even if they don't get into a top program, theres still hope and we still have a shot at being a decent research economist.

RGE - Academic productivity and the academic job market in economics (http://www.rgemonitor.com/euro-monitor/509/academic_productivity_and_the_academic_job_market_ in_economics)

Econtobe
12-06-2007, 02:43 AM
Upon reading the article, I get a feeling that the author just wants to say that 1988 crash and the resulting decline in jobs made people from elite universities join outside of this elite group/elsewhere and this contributed to building up of a more widespread network. Maybe this is just a onetime event and not a trend.

I, for one, would think that being close to Einstein and other elite physicists of the time would obviously improve my productivity because of obvious reasons.

GymShorts
12-06-2007, 03:11 PM
I, for one, would think that being close to Einstein and other elite physicists of the time would obviously improve my productivity because of obvious reasons.

IMHO, you have to be close to people you can learn from. Obviously the best researchers will know a lot that you don't. So you might assume they also have a lot they can teach you. However, many of them wouldn't want to spend time explaining things to you. They are too busy trying to get a Nobel. I think a very good researcher with an interest in training his/her graduate students is better than the best researcher who would rather not put up with you.

Tex Jansen
12-06-2007, 03:53 PM
I agree with the last comments.

Additionally, I am not trying to become the next Lucas, I am not smart enough. It is possible that someone with that kind of ability thinks about problems in a way that would not work for me. Perhaps I would be better off with someone closer to my ability who has managed to put together a very good record.