PDA

View Full Version : Material preperation and good grades vs. intellectual capacity

bretton
12-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Hi

I'm currently studying in a country where the Bachelor degree takes three years, normally.

My special circumstances however forced me to spread my load of credits over four years. Normal load is five courses, while I've been taking four.

The results are that I'm getting fairly good grades, I really do feel like I'm learning the material to the bone and my passion for economics is a strong as it could be. (But most importantly, IMO, my mental health is relatively strong compared to my five-course-per-semester-fellows.)

But my question is this: since I'm getting these grades with lesser load per semester than some of my mates who get similar grades with full load, would the adcoms take this as a weak spot in my ability? Would it work against me, ceteris paribis, when applying to top schools?

Note, however, that I am not focusing or constraining myself to top10... far from it.

buckykatt
12-07-2007, 06:12 PM
Even if it would count against you under some circumstances, explaining your special circumstances in your SOP might offset that. For example, if you're working to pay for college...

bretton
12-08-2007, 04:33 PM
I wish my circumstances were more "special".

I began as a math major and I didn't like it (except for the two calculus sequences, I loved those) so I switched into econ major after having taken only eight courses my first year.

I faced the fact that I couldn't finish in two years from then, unless loading myself with abnormal amount of credits hours and thus risking my grades. So, there was no need for any extra credits the time I had left.

Oh well, who needs Princeton anyway :)