PDA

View Full Version : GPA "after 2 years"

asianecon
12-08-2007, 12:46 AM
Probably a stupid question especially for domestic students, but what does GPA after 2 years mean? Is it the GPA after sophomore year (ie 1st+2nd year average) or is it your GPA for the final two years? I think the latter is more common right? But I find it weird that Berkeley asks for this in addition to "upper division" GPA which sounds like the final 2 year-GPA.

Luckykid
12-08-2007, 12:53 AM
I would imagine it means your "GPA after 2 years" after the semester in which you earned your 60th credit.
clarificationin post 6

Roy

Karina 07
12-08-2007, 12:57 AM
I would imagine it means your "GPA after 2 years" after the semester in which you earned your 60th credit

Roy

Mmh, not all universities work this way.

asianecon
12-08-2007, 12:57 AM
That's what I understood also. However the departmental application form only asks for GPA after two years which is weird since this implies they're more concerned about intro courses.

kartelite
12-08-2007, 02:36 AM
That's what I understood also. However the departmental application form only asks for GPA after two years which is weird since this implies they're more concerned about intro courses.

Well, not really. You could just as easily assume they're looking for the GPA since that time, and it's easier to get at that by asking for the first two years than trying to phrase it otherwise. I would assume anyone smart enough to be on an econ adcom would realize the implication of GPA: 3.71, GPA first two years: 3.54 in under two seconds.

Luckykid
12-08-2007, 02:51 AM
I thought they were implying the GPA for the time period after the two years till present. Most applications I had ask for the Jr. Sr. GPA and I think this is the same.

asianecon
12-08-2007, 03:31 AM
Well, not really. You could just as easily assume they're looking for the GPA since that time, and it's easier to get at that by asking for the first two years than trying to phrase it otherwise. I would assume anyone smart enough to be on an econ adcom would realize the implication of GPA: 3.71, GPA first two years: 3.54 in under two seconds.

True. But in Berkeley's departmental form, they only ask for the GPA after two years and not the total, hence they can't infer the GPA for advanced courses from the information they are asking.

Karina 07
12-08-2007, 04:23 AM
Probably a stupid question especially for domestic students, but what does GPA after 2 years mean? Is it the GPA after sophomore year (ie 1st+2nd year average) or is it your GPA for the final two years? I think the latter is more common right? But I find it weird that Berkeley asks for this in addition to "upper division" GPA which sounds like the final 2 year-GPA.

You know, you could just call their office. No big secrets here.

Personally, I don't remember the form but I would bet that GPA after 2 years is your last two years of classes and "upper division" is your "upper division" classes for universities that make that designation -- not all do. But to be utterly sure, I would just call, if I were you. They're not about to remember the call in any positive or negative light (or at all), except maybe it'll make them change the wording on the form for the next year.

little guy
12-08-2007, 05:37 AM
This was my odd email interaction with them regarding this question:

Hello,

The department does not require you to list faculty you have contacted or
expect to contact concerning your application for admission and, in fact,
discourages prospective students from contacting faculty prior to being
admitted.

The department does not require you to list faculty in the department
whose research is of particular interest to you, though this information
is helpful if you know it.

It is required that you list your Cumulative GPA, all coursework after the
first two years and your Major GPA as well as your Graduate GPA, if
applicable. It is not required that you list your Upper Division GPA.

Thank you,
Economics Graduate Department

[Hide Quoted Text] (https://web.mail.umich.edu/horde/imp/message.php?index=7472#)
> On the departmental application it asks for the undergraduate GPA after
> 2 years. Would you like my GPA from the previous two years, or my GPA
> after just the first 2 years of college?
>
> Thanks for the help,
>
>

little guy
12-08-2007, 05:38 AM
double post, sorry

little guy
12-08-2007, 05:42 AM
oh, and dont try calling, no one every picks up a phone

polkaparty
12-08-2007, 05:43 AM
That is obviously a canned response, since it answers questions you didn't ask! It's probably best to call them to confirm what the language means, since their canned response uses the exact same vague language that the application uses.

little guy
12-08-2007, 05:47 AM
Yes, I found the random part about contacting faculty to be particularly amusing.

polkaparty
12-08-2007, 05:53 AM
oh, and dont try calling, no one every picks up a phone

I've been trying to contact Brown for weeks and I've just given up. Seriously I have sent emails and left voice mails, but nobody returns calls. It's pretty rude if they just listen to the message and ignore it. I know they're busy but still, I don't understand....

econyun
12-08-2007, 05:54 AM
same here...
I sent an email to Conell, they replied me within 24 hours..
I sent a similar email to brown, it s already a week.......no response..

Luckykid
12-08-2007, 05:59 AM
ASU sent me an e-mail, I responded and got another response 3 mins later

FTMFW!!!

Roy

Karina 07
12-08-2007, 07:02 AM
Well, on the bright side, I know the guy who probably has to deal with these inquiries and he *is* very busy, so it's not his fault. My revised advice is to either e-mail again or to just list everything on the form, clearly labelling which is which; they're not about to hold it against you if you list one GPA too many. This is the form you mail in, right? (I only have the vaguest of memories of the application process.)

Also, see PM.

sarvonz
12-12-2007, 04:51 PM
I would just calculate GPA for both first 2 years and last 2 years, and put on both in the application.. That's what I did for my Berkeley departmental application.