08-01-2002, 02:15 PM
Hi everybody,
I took my TOEFL few days ago. Here is my score:

Listening : 25
Structure/Writing : 10 ~ 28
Reading : 25

TOTAL : 200 ~ 260

Essay Topic 154
Some students prefer to study alone. Others prefer to study with a group of students. Which do you prefer?

Im a little bit frustrated about my Structure/Writing score that could have been better(actually it is my best part).
Since the Essay is my weakest point, it is most likely that I won't achieve the requested 250 score. It's a shame, because the english test is my last oustanding condition...of the admission requirements.(Ph.D studies in UK)

....therefore I will have to take it again in three weeks :-(

Here are some impression regarding the test day:

Structure/Writing
advice: make sure to answer the first questions correctly, because this testing system is "severity adjusting".
I got very fast through the first question in order to have more time for the difficult ones, but with this method I must have made some easy ones wrong. How stupid, as I had more than 6 min. remaining time!!!

I think the Listening Part is also "severity adjusting".(?)

There was an obligatory break (5 min) after the Structure/Writing session

Reading
...lots of time (1,5 h) for 5 reading sections (50 questions)
about business, science,...cannot remember all of them
I finished with 35 min remaining.

Preparation tips:
Barron's How to prepare for the CBT-TOEFL Essay
and Barron's Essential words for the TOEFL

Hope you can find some helpful information...

Good luck!

loveit_yang2003
08-01-2002, 02:21 PM
I cannot believe it!they gave you 90minutes to finish the reading part?That's awesome!

Erin
08-01-2002, 11:05 PM
Yes, that information is very helpful. Your score is pretty good, but it sounds like you could do better. Make sure you visit us and practice a lot.

I also hope that you can tell us your final score when you get it, specifically your essay score.

Yes, 90" is a long time for reading, but one of the TOEFL patterns gives you that much time. Almost all of my students have commented that they felt they had more time for the reading on the CBT than on the PBT.

Thanks for contributing, Charlotte, and welcome to TestMagic. :)

echoshadow
08-06-2002, 12:32 AM
Hi, don't worry. My first scale was 203-260, and I beleive my essay is the worst one I've ever written, but I still got 250 finally. So don't give up so quickly.

I had 90'in reading, too. Because I got 50? or 55 questions? and less listening questions (30), and a little bit more grammar(25)
If you got only 4 readings, 40 or 44? questions, you would have 75'.

Ramadan
09-13-2005, 02:05 AM
Hi everybody

Can any one told me how can I download the Peterson software for the CBT toefl test???
or even the Kaplan software.I need them urgently.

Thanks